Planning the wife's first Bike Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Bones

Reaction score
I need help!

I've got the wife to commit to flying to Nashville, TN where I'll pick her up and we'll see the Cherahola Hwy, Deals Gap, Smokie MTN Park and other local roads. It's her first time there.

It's her first bike trip, she'll fly in Friday April 22 and fly out April 25th. I'll ride the bike both ways.

I'm looking for a good cabin (or something) to stay at in the mountains, with showers and food available. No camping! I'm not looking for a cheap motel room. Something with some ambience.

I looked at the Iron Horse Motorcycle lodge because I camped there last year and really liked it, but I couldn't find any single cabins, just multi room. Also, we're looking for Sat night only, as Fri and Sun we'll be at an airport hotel.

Anyone have any ideas????

We satyed at Iron Horse Lodge and had a single rooms all three times. Found it to be clean and the food was great.

The Smokey's and the Cherohala are at higher elevations (3000-5000 ft). We've been snowed on in late May up there.

Perhaps make contingency plans to go in another direction if the weather in the mountains isn't cooperating ... nothing will turn her off to motorcycling than riding slowly for hours on twisty roads in a cold damp fog. Unless that's your goal ....

The Smokey's and the Cherohala are at higher elevations (3000-5000 ft). We've been snowed on in late May up there.

Perhaps make contingency plans to go in another direction if the weather in the mountains isn't cooperating ... nothing will turn her off to motorcycling than riding slowly for hours on twisty roads in a cold damp fog. Unless that's your goal ....
Ok, good to know, Thank you. That would defintely suck.

Maybe there's something to see in Knoxville/Nashville. I dunno, What's that area known for? :blink: On the other hand, I don't want to walk around these towns as a tourist. Is the area good to ride around outside of the mountains?

Maybe there's something to see in Knoxville/Nashville. I dunno, What's that area known for? :blink: On the other hand, I don't want to walk around these towns as a tourist. Is the area good to ride around outside of the mountains?
I've worked in Nashville quite a bit, so haven't really done the tourist things. You probably know they're known for music ;-) I'm not much of a music fan, but have heard the Bluebird Cafe is a good choice if you are. And the BBQ .. there's this little shack, Hog Heaven, next to Centennial Park (where the Parthenon is) that serves up awesome smoked pork on cornbread patties. No indoor seating though .. and if it is nice enough to eat outside it's nice enough to go ride! Oh yeah, THe Hermitage (Pres. Alexander's homestead) is interesting if you're into history.

There are LOTS of good roads in Tennessee, especially the northwest corner (but avoid Sevierville ... talk about tourist trap!). I just don't remember them off the top of my head. Falls Creek comes to mind ...

On our trip to the Dragon last year we stayed in Gatlinburg a really nice town and close to great roads. There were some really nice hotels and some decent resturants and other local attractions. We also went through Pigeon Forge which twice a year has the largest car show I've ever seen though I don't remember the dates it's held, our trip was in September I think the other is in the Spring. I'm sure you can Google up all the necessary info. :)

Nashville is like every other area in the US. You have to get off of the interstate in order to find some good riding. HWY 70 from Lebanon over to Knoxville is a great scenic ride. You can also take highway 231 down to Shelbyville and then head on over to Lynchburg, TN, home of Jack Daniels. Best thing to do is get a map of Tennessee and look at the smaller lines.

Another good source is Motorcycleroads.com. They have TN broken down into three seperate sections to make it easier to digest.

I hope that you have a great trip and let me know if I can help,

Glenn

Never mind...I reread your original post...you are staying a little longer than just a weekend...so although it is rushed, you can still do it.

I would stay in the Bryson City area if you are with your wife...I think there are a lot of cabin rentals on the south side of the National Park...and you would be close to the entrance to the Park. Also close to the south end of the Blue Ridge Parkway...

I guess I don't understand flying in so far away from the Smokies for a weekend trip. If this was a week long trip...I would say yeah, that's fine...meander some country roads on the way to the Smokies and back. With just a weekend...you aren't gonna but have time to slab it to the Smokies and before you know it, turn around and go back.

If you truly do want to/have to fly in to Nashville, I would forget about the Smokies and meander the countryside south and east until you need to return to the airport. Maybe travel the little roads until you get to Dayton, TN, then wind your way back around. Lots of fun on the back roads, little fun on the slab unless you like looking at the backs of semi-trucks and ride the flattened out roads.

Don't take this as a personal criticism, just trying to help you and your wife have a fun time... :)

Edit: One last thing...your title says "your wife's first bike trip". I wouldn't plan on more than 250-300 miles for a day...and stop every hour or so...I hope you have an aftermarket seat. If not, expect your wife's bum to be sore...and her to get a little cranky if you don't stop a lot and keep the trip shorter. You don't want this to be her last mcy trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need help!...the Cherahola Hwy, Deals Gap, Smokie MTN Park and other local roads.

It's her first bike trip,

I'm looking for a good cabin ...in the mountains,

Something with some ambience.

Anyone have any ideas????
I would stay in the Bryson City area if you are with your wife...I think there are a lot of cabin rentals on the south side of the National Park...and you would be close to the entrance to the Park. Also close to the south end of the Blue Ridge Parkway...
I agree with 'wheatonFJR' about 'far-west NC' being the area to shoot for.

Here's where we've stayed when in the area: click for ambience -- nr. Dillsboro/Sylva NC and lots of nice motorcycling.

https://www.pisgahinn.com/

Mile 408 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, at an elevation of 5000 ft. I've ridden the Parkway many times and, IMHO, this place has the best views of any. Good restaurant on site, gas within 10-15 miles, great roads in every direction.

Don't take this as a personal criticism, just trying to help you and your wife have a fun time... :) [/s]

Edit: One last thing...your title says "your wife's first bike trip". I wouldn't plan on more than 250-300 miles for a day...and stop every hour or so...I hope you have an aftermarket seat. If not, expect your wife's bum to be sore...and her to get a little cranky if you don't stop a lot and keep the trip shorter. You don't want this to be her last mcy trip.
Nothing personal taken, thank you for you input!

We've ridden locally for 2-3 hour duration and she says she's loved it.

I just did the Ohlins/Cogent Dynamics upgrade and the Russell seat group buy, bought a Starcom Advance, putting in a Givi E52 for clothes/backrest. Have added GPS/XM radio. We just bought her a Shoei Multitec, Tourmaster transition2, and Flex pants.

We're self employed with 3 small children and slim choices for family watching the children, so longer trips aren't possible. I told her I was getting away to the Smokies for the weekend, did she want to come? Ergo, the flight, at least this way she gets to see somewhere new and it spares her the long drive. I've done several weekend trips of this distance, to the Smokies and to the Badlands. While I don't relish it, it's the only way I can get away.

It's her first longer bike trip, where we can hang out together at what ever pace. Last year we didn't have the riding gear, just warm weather rides. The first thing she noticed was the worn out rear shock.

Sounds like a good time. I presume you have given her packing instructions, as in... "this is your bag (sidebag soft luggage)...everything you can bring has to fit in it." ;)

The last two times we were in the area (not including NAFO Knoxville) we stayed in Asheville at an excellent (motorcycle friendly) B & B called the "Bent Creek Lodge". It's right next to the BRP (EZ on & off) and is near all the roads you mentioned you want to ride. We did all those roads and then some including the BRP up towards Roanoke and back from the Lodge. There are also some other great roads in the area. The Lodge is first class and Doug and Jodee are great keepers. Jodee would have our breakfast ready early since we wanted to get early starts each day. There are also a lot of places to eat nearby when you get back in the evening. If this might work check out bentcreeknc.com The airport is nearby as well. We were there in May of 2009 it was warm enough, but we did have a day of total rain. In that case there is stuff to do if you don't mind getting a cab. We're planning a trip to that area including the Lodge probably the first week in June.

Tim

Be very wary of the weather in the mountains that early in the year. From one day to the next the temperature may be 30 degrees different, further, it might be 70 degrees as you roll out of Knoxville, but 40 by the time you get to Mt. Pisgah. FWIW, I can see Mt. Pisgah from my back yard.

As you've mentioned this is her first 'event' ride, watch out for her getting cold. There is NO WAY my wife would leave home in April without her heated gear. Temps will drop like the proverbial rock as soon as the sun starts to go down.

Check this website before you head out if you plan to ride the BRP: https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm Even if a section is not posted as closed, the NPS closes the high altitude sections if there is the slightest possibility there may be ice patches anywhere. It's not uncommon for them to close sections even in mid-May.

I live in Maryville, TN which is only a few miles from the national park. The area you want to ride is my backyard. You might consider lodging in Townsend, TN. Townsend is a nice but non-touristy little town. Twisty and scenic riding to the Park, the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway make it a good base location.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

https://www.dancingbearlodge.com/

https://www.valleyviewlodge.com/

If you really want to impre$$ the wife stay here: https://www.blackberryfarm.com/

Like other have mentioned beware of changeable weather and expect cool temps and rain. Its about a 31/2 hour ride from Nashville via I-40. US Hwy 70 is a great alternative with some nice twisty sections and better scenery than the slab but expect nearly twice the ride time.

Hope this helps. Enjoy TN and riding in my backyard.......

Richard