Possible free replacement FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altinger

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I wish to impart my current tale of my 2006 FJR with 4000KMs.

- Bought it new last summer as a leftover from the year before. Brand new. Same day got it home from the dealer 300 KMs away in Calgary and noticed a missing fairing bolt and the others loose. Didn't think much of it. Bought another bolt and put it on.

- About 500KMs later noticed the steering head shake getting worse and worse. One day had to stop at a dealer in a nearby town while going for a day cruise for an emergency stop. He was nice enough to tighten down the steering head nut a bit for me. Problem semi-solved, but better.

- Later my left mirror almost fell off. The nut came loose and went missing. A trip to the hardware store and a nut fixed that.

- The end of last years season brought vibrations all through the bike... even the footpegs. The vibrations got worse and worse.

This year!

- Spring has finally sprung here in Edmonton, Alberta so it was time to take it to the local dealer to have the vibrations checked out. I didn't feel confident enough in the bike to get me to the dealer I bought it from 300 KMs away.

- This Monday took it in and asked them to check out the steering head.

- Tuesday comes and a call reported it was fine, but definite vibrations noted in the bike. I gave them permission to poke around for a couple more hours.- A few hours later they called back and told me they called Yamaha Canada to get them involved. At this point, if nothing mechanically wrong was found, I was to flip the bill. If something was wrong, Yamaha would cover it. The dealer said they would call on Wednesday morning.

- Wednesday rolls around, but there was some issues with the phones around town so I went to the dealer. They informed me if I had bought the bike there, I would have gotten a replacement. No question about it. The bike is literally shaking itself apart. The further the mechanics dig deeper into the bike, they're finding NOTHING was tightened to spec at the factory. The engine is literally loose in the frame. The dealer was waiting for a reply from Yamaha if they were to spend more time on the bike or not. I may get a replacement bike. I'd be happy as a clam if thats the case! Yamaha Canada may also order a full teardown and rebuilt of the bike. I won't be happy if thats the case.

I'll keep you all posted. Lets hope this ends on a shiney new 2007 model. I hate the new 2008 black color personally.

There has to be more to this story - that is very strange.

However it works out, hope you're satisfied in the end.

Depends on how much of a refund they would be giving me since I was about to essentially assemble 2 bikes. They've obviously proven incapable once already. Does your dealer see enough FJRs, or have enough experience to do it right, and are you getting a loaner bike for the interim?

A very similar situation happened to me in 1986. I purchased a new Suzuki GSXR750 from the now long gone Wagner cycle in Tucker Ga. The bike would not run right and had a slew of very strange problems.

The dealer found a cracked front wheel and many parts missing. Most of the missing parts were carberator related parts. This was all discovered in the first 600 miles of the bikes use. For those not familiar with the 1986 gsxr 750, this was the bike that appeared to be as close to a real factory race bike that was available at that time.

Long story short. After Mr wagner got the suzuki factory reps involved it was discovered that my bike was a hand built pre-production prototype that was never supposed to be sold to the public. My bike was replaced by suzuki with a new one as quick as they could get one in. One other good thing was that my lemon was red and black, the only color combo that I was able to get at time of purchase. my new replacement was the much more desirable white and blue factory race type paint scheme.

I actually wound up unhappy with the bike due to the back breaking riding position and the nasty heat that the air/oil cooled engine produced. It was sold not long after receiving the replacement. Its place in my garage was taken by a then new 1987 honda 600 hurricane that I rode the wheels off of.

Very long story short......Yamaha did a tear down on my 06 to try and cure a missfire. They sent it back to the dealer in the same condition saying thet the missfire was inherent with this model. The dealer eventually gave me a refund. I bought a leftover 05 from the same guy which has been fine.

There has to be more to this story - that is very strange.
However it works out, hope you're satisfied in the end.
Its very suspect, and I'm the one in the middle of all this! I've never taken the side fairing off and have never tinkered with the motor mounts. No way. They're not accusing me of anything which is good.

Well, tomorrow after I get my taxes done, I'll head to the dealer and see whats going on. If no word to the dealer from Yamaha Canada yet, I'll see if I can get the name and number if the big guy they're dealing with and I'll have a word with him.

I work in a machine shop as quality control. I'm extremely familiar how metals are damaged do to friction and vibration. I REALLY don't want a bike thats been rattled around from the inside. Thats extreme premature wear, and who knows how far the damage effects the rest of the bike. If I get a replacement bike, I'll be blown away and a life-long Yamaha buyer!

SLAPNPOP - No, no loaner. I don't need it, nor was it offered. I don't think I've ever heard of a loaner motorcycle from a dealer before.

More info to come tomorrow.

PS - I can't help but grin and think of Scotty on the Enterprise when I think of the bike ready to fall apart. "Cap-tin! She cannah take any more! She's going to blow!"

Last edited by a moderator:
If they end up doing a tear-down and rebuild hopefully they will offer a re-instated full warranty. They owe you that much at least. Good luck either way.

If they end up doing a tear-down and rebuild hopefully they will offer a re-instated full warranty. They owe you that much at least. Good luck either way.
I'd ask for them to throw in a 4 year extended warranty to ease your mind...... Wholesale cost to Yamaha is nothing and if they are confident the rebuild was good it should be easy. If they won't guarantee the work why should you be confident in it? Hope it works out for you...

Not much to report today. Yamaha Canada didn't get in touch with the dealership, so I have to wait until Monday to find out whats going on.

And of course its the first nice weekend of the year at +18C and +19C. Grrrrr. Must.... ride.... Yamaha... warp ship! GGuuuhhh!!

Go for an '07 if you have a choice. The cherry red is faster than the black model! :rolleyes:

Not much to report today. Yamaha Canada didn't get in touch with the dealership, so I have to wait until Monday to find out whats going on.
And of course its the first nice weekend of the year at +18C and +19C. Grrrrr. Must.... ride.... Yamaha... warp ship! GGuuuhhh!!

Greetings all.
I wish to impart my current tale of my 2006 FJR with 4000KMs.

- Bought it new last summer as a leftover from the year before. Brand new. Same day got it home from the dealer 300 KMs away in Calgary and noticed a missing fairing bolt and the others loose. Didn't think much of it. Bought another bolt and put it on.

- About 500KMs later noticed the steering head shake getting worse and worse. One day had to stop at a dealer in a nearby town while going for a day cruise for an emergency stop. He was nice enough to tighten down the steering head nut a bit for me. Problem semi-solved, but better.

- Later my left mirror almost fell off. The nut came loose and went missing. A trip to the hardware store and a nut fixed that.

- The end of last years season brought vibrations all through the bike... even the footpegs. The vibrations got worse and worse.

This year!

- Spring has finally sprung here in Edmonton, Alberta so it was time to take it to the local dealer to have the vibrations checked out. I didn't feel confident enough in the bike to get me to the dealer I bought it from 300 KMs away.

- This Monday took it in and asked them to check out the steering head.

- Tuesday comes and a call reported it was fine, but definite vibrations noted in the bike. I gave them permission to poke around for a couple more hours.- A few hours later they called back and told me they called Yamaha Canada to get them involved. At this point, if nothing mechanically wrong was found, I was to flip the bill. If something was wrong, Yamaha would cover it. The dealer said they would call on Wednesday morning.

- Wednesday rolls around, but there was some issues with the phones around town so I went to the dealer. They informed me if I had bought the bike there, I would have gotten a replacement. No question about it. The bike is literally shaking itself apart. The further the mechanics dig deeper into the bike, they're finding NOTHING was tightened to spec at the factory. The engine is literally loose in the frame. The dealer was waiting for a reply from Yamaha if they were to spend more time on the bike or not. I may get a replacement bike. I'd be happy as a clam if thats the case! Yamaha Canada may also order a full teardown and rebuilt of the bike. I won't be happy if thats the case.

I'll keep you all posted. Lets hope this ends on a shiney new 2007 model. I hate the new 2008 black color personally.
you didn't per chance buy it from blackfoot cycle in calgary did you?

Yes sir. Bought it at Blackfoot! They've been made aware of the situation.

Thats my second bike I've bought there. First was an 01 Suzuki SV650S.

SLAPNPOP - No, no loaner. I don't need it, nor was it offered. I don't think I've ever heard of a loaner motorcycle from a dealer before.
Local BMW/Ducati Dealer here offers *FREE* loaners. Almost makes me want to take my FJR in for service, just to ride a Duc for a day or so. :)

Good luck getting all this straightened away to your satisfaction!

Another Monday passes, and still no word.

I can't say I'm stressing about it at the moment. Winter has apparently made a rehearsed comeback and I'm looking at a 2 foot snow drift out my patio window.

The same dealer I'm dealing with has a Friday scheduled Yamaha test ride day. I'm scheduled to take an R1 for a rip. I hope they'll push it back for a warmer day. :)

Okay! Significant updates!

Tuesday I called the dealer who has my bike and asked if anything new has happened. He explained that he contacted Yamaha Canada and they claimed I had no warranty because they had no record that I did a 1000KM service.

Today (Wednesday) I went to the dealer with receipt in hand, showing it was done at another local dealer. He recommended I call Yamaha Canada myself, so I went home and did. It was a long conversation with a woman in customer service who has been bitched at many times over the phone (you could tell by her tone) and she was quick to cut me off mid-sentence many times. She basically told me the FJR was one of their least complained about model, and had a very hard time accepting all the things gone wrong I told her. I said to call the dealer if she doesn't believe me and she wouldn't do it as she explained all the information she needed was on the computer. She explained Yamaha will NOT provide a replacement FJR as its not their policy and she basically told me I had no warranty, even though I bought it brand new less than a year ago. I told her my service has been followed as the schedule requires and she would check into my warranty status and call me back. No call today.

I'm selling it no matter what. I don't trust it. The thing is vibrating itself apart so who knows whats going to happen next. And now Yamaha Canada is calling me a liar? Screw it.

BMW R1200RT time.

I'll keep the updates coming.

When things started going off the rails, you should have stopped her right then and there and asked to speak with her immediate superior.

You do NOT have to have the service done by a dealer. They do NOT have your service records in their computers. I have a brand new headlight assembly sitting in my garage waiting for me to install it - I do all my own service and I'm into my extended warranty so I guess I shouldn't have a warranty either. There was a lot of discussion here on the subject when I started the claim in the fall - but the dealer made the call and made it happen - without much trouble on his part.

I would suggest that you NOT speak with them in the future unless you have a tape (or digital) recorder transcribing the call - you do NOT have to tell them you are recording the conversation and you can use the recordings when/if you sue them. Yuo will have to get them professionally transcribed to do this.

The key is to document everything. You will win this one if you are diligent and can prove that they are trying to wiggle out of their obligations - that 'you didn't do the service and so don't have a warranty' is a classic - and when you told them you have the proof and they STILL tried to deny coverage . . . even better.

If the bike is indeed still within the warranty period it may well be time to consider buying the YPP (Canadian equivalent of the YES). If your dealer is in any way supportive he'll sell it to you at his cost (about half price).

However I dont think your dealer is all that supportive - dealers can get the manufacturer to 'do things'. I have a friend who had the clutch & basket on his R1 replaced and the transmission completely rebuilt after the warranty expired - because the dealer went to bat for him.

Your position is that the machine is dangerous and they are denying support and responsability.

Document everything - send a registered letter to the lady you spoke to expressing outrage that they would claim you have no warranty for not having done the service and then continuing to deny your warranty even when you offered proof it was done . . . . they won't respond and that'll be good for you.