power blip after gas stop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fialdj

Reaction score
I have had this problem a couple of times. After a bit riding, I stop for gas. When I try to restart my FJR it acts like a low battery voltage, barely turning over the motor and dies. After I turn the key off the needles do a test mode sweep. when I turn the key back on the clock is reset. This seems to only happen when I leave the bike in gear, but sidestand is up. I've had my FJR since Nov 2004. Is it just a battery, as I have not replaced it yet? I know that my old Venture and other old Ventures had problems with the stator getting hot and causing all kinds of electrical problems. Does the FJR have a stator in a hot location?

Dave

Most likely the 4 year old battery. When starting in gear after sitting for a few minutes the clutches don't slip like they should so the amount of power required to turn the engine over is considerably more. Once the engine is turning over the load is lessoned considerably. If the problem isn't as noticable when starting in neutral, it's likely that the battery is just weak. The reset of the clock kind of confirms that. If your battery drops below 9 volts (automotive field anyhow, guessing it's the same here) when cranking there isn't enough reserve left to maintain memory.

Check your battery connections they might be loose or corroded. Would give the same symtoms, works one second not the next. After checking the cables trickle charge the battery and see if that fixes it. Even if you fix a loose cable, that also means that the battery probably wasn't getting charged.

A very warm engine (okay hot), the starting system heat soaked, battery maybe marginal maybe not, you hit the starter button and the stressed starting system is pulling a whole lot of amps and sometimes that is enough to drop the voltage low enough that the instrument cluster craps out. (and don't forget the rings are all heated up meaning you're going to have maximum compression and that just adds to the extra effort the starter/electrical system has to deal with)

My 03 does this every now and then only when it's hot. I get one crank, then it stops the starter dead. I'm pretty sure it's pre-ignition causing it during the hot restart. The force of the cylinder that ignites the fuel to early due to excessive heat simply stops the starter, the excessive current draw as the starter attempts to overcome it sometimes pulls the battery voltage down low enough to reset the clock and mileage counter. This will happen more frequently as the battery gets older/weaker. I don't see it as a problem, a few built V8's that I've owned with a bit to much timing advance would do this all the time.

It starts usually during the second attempt.