Power commander guru wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckj

Reaction score
Who on this forum is a guru when it comes to comparing different power commander maps? Also, if needed, taking 2 different maps and making a hybrid map of them? Thanks in advance :)

Possibly and I underscore possibly, Dale Walker @ Holeshot Performanmce in Cali knows his way around stuff like that. He did a custom Dynojet map free if you prichased his header and exhaust mufflers. I did and very happy how the bike runs. Overall good guy, give him a try.

Well, it kinda depends on what you mean by comparing two maps. It's pretty easy to load the maps into the power commander software and eyeball the differences. The PC software displays the maps in a spreadsheet like format, where each cell is the percentage increase (or decrease) for that combination of engine RPM and throttle position.

You can only open one instance of the PC SW at a time, so you need to grab a screen image or printout of the first map to compare to the 2nd map. It's not clear whether you want to eyeball the two maps to select values for a hybrid map, or something more sophisticated, so I will leave that part up to you.

The PC-V software, manuals, and tutorials can be downloaded from the dynojet website here: https://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Downloads/powercommander_downloads.aspx?ProdType=PCV

Lemme try and link to a random picture of the SW on the web. Here goes, apologies for the size:
power-commander.jpg

Get a shout to AuburnFJR or ahchiu. One of the local gang up here in the PNW will be able to help you out.

--G

Who on this forum is a guru when it comes to comparing different power commander maps? Also, if needed, taking 2 different maps and making a hybrid map of them? Thanks in advance
smile.png
Are you looking for PC III or V - makes a difference in how you program it.

Useless Pickles was the man when it came to shit like this.... But alas in a far away era the gods allowed shit for brains to debate well thought out proved facts. He, like a few very smart individuals,( Jestal) left the scene..
Might I be so bold as to suggest a goggle search?

Here is my dilemma. I have a juice box pro. I had the bike custom tumed and it is smooth and still has power on the top end. After comparing my map to the Wally's map and to the Holeshot map, my numbers are not as high in the 3500-4200 rpm areas around the 2,5 and 10% throttle percentage. I still have some buzz with the map that was custom built for my bike in the cruising rpm range from 3500-4200.

I have installed and tried the Wally's map, smooth but drinks way to much fuel and not near as powerful as my map on the top end.

I tried the holeshot map as well. I didn't have it installed for long enough to check fuel economy. My bike ran really smooth in the 3500-4200 rpm range. But the power the bike had on the top end was not good at all. The hole shot top end power was the lowest on my bike of the 3 maps.

I would like to be able to email someone the 2 maps and have them blend the two maps together. Any takers?

Have you done a TBS lately, and as AuburnFJR asked do you have a PC3 or 5, I wasn't happy with my map and I had Nel's from Two Wheel DynoWorks tune my bike on the PC5. I'm very happy with my new map.

Here is my dilemma. I have a juice box pro. I had the bike custom tumed and it is smooth and still has power on the top end. After comparing my map to the Wally's map and to the Holeshot map, my numbers are not as high in the 3500-4200 rpm areas around the 2,5 and 10% throttle percentage. I still have some buzz with the map that was custom built for my bike in the cruising rpm range from 3500-4200.
I have installed and tried the Wally's map, smooth but drinks way to much fuel and not near as powerful as my map on the top end.

I tried the holeshot map as well. I didn't have it installed for long enough to check fuel economy. My bike ran really smooth in the 3500-4200 rpm range. But the power the bike had on the top end was not good at all. The hole shot top end power was the lowest on my bike of the 3 maps.

I would like to be able to email someone the 2 maps and have them blend the two maps together. Any takers?
Looking at the Juice Box site, it appears that you have the ability to tweak the maps just like the PCIII or V. I tweaked a customized PCIII map on my bike in a few cells and it runs even better (smoother throttle) now. If you have the software and computer, try experimenting with your own map in the %throttle/RPM range you want altered (with small changes) and go ride. Rinse and repeat until you are happy. Powercommander recommends no more than a 3 digit change at a time so you don't go too far astray. I assume the JBox is pretty similar.

FWIW, under Tools my Powercommander 3 software (like in post 3) has a map compare button which lets me open maps and compare them, showing a bar graph on the top with different colors for each map. You can read all the cells and look at the graph to get an idea of what each is doing.

The picture I linked up above is of PC-III software. I have the PC-V software installed on my laptop and do not find a compare maps function. So maybe it went away, or maybe I'm stupid today. (Note to other forum members: it's not Friday.)

Building a custom map is super easy. I am running a map that consists of the FuelMoto gen-II map (which, having eyeballed it, looks a lot like the wally smoothness map) from 0%-40% throttle and the stock Yamaha map above 40%. The FuelMoto map leans out the mixture above half throttle-ish and I could make the engine ping at will in hot Texas summer temps. Though I am not concerned with wringing every single last horsepower from the silly thing, mid range response and smoothness are more important to me.