Power Commander V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing Fuelmoto says is that they'll support with modified maps for people who purchase from them, so if you tweak the bike, presumably you can get them to run a new map. Whether that's worth the money is of course unknown (at least to me).
What they mean by that is IF they dyno run a map with a certain setup such as 2 brothers cans and you bought the pc from them they will supply you the map. they do have the best prices around for the PC. Also if you buy the PC5 with autotune there will not be a need to change the map when you modify the bike, the map will fix itself.

I have the PC V from fuel moto with two brothers exhaust. I know at last years EOM when our group stopped for gas my bike always took a little more. It is and 07. After a good tune up this winter it seems to be a lot smoother and quicker. I had it dyno last fall and the fuel maps were right on. I'll give up a little gas mileage for all the other benefits.

Well I got my bike back this evening. PCV installed, dyno tune w/ custom map, and PAIR system plugged.

I have HoleShot cans on my bike.

All the issues I wanted resolved have been. First thing you notice is a smooth, steady idle. Idle doesn't fluctuate any more. Plugging the PAIR system, combined with the PCV, totally eliminated popping on decel. I rode about 100 miles and could never make it pop. Throttle snatch is eliminated. My tuner thinks that 0-20% throttle in the low gears was especially lean to meet EPA regs, and rolling on/off the throttle in a lean condition makes for an abrupt transition. Vibration at 4k RPM is not eliminated, but greatly reduced. There is still some higher in the RPM range, but my main complaint was 5th gear cruising at 4K RPM and it's much nicer now. Of course there is also more power everywhere.

I think the numbers are optimistic, but on a freshly serviced and calibrated Dyno Jet the bike made 150HP and 100TQ at the rear wheel in the all gears run. This guy has owned his shop and been in the motorcycle performance business since the 1970's and has dyno tuned thousands of bikes, and swears it's a legit number. Our bikes make 128HP at the rear wheel stock, more or less, I think. I didn't get a baseline run... forgot to ask, and he forgot to do one. 20HP for slip-ons and a PCV/tune seems optimistic, but regardless, power wasn't the reason I got the work done. The bike is much nicer to ride now, and I know all you PCIII/PCV owners have said it before, but it's a huge difference and I should have done it sooner.

Next week I'm taking the bike back for 4K service, throttle body sync, fresh set of PR2's, clean/relube the drive shaft splines, and RaceTech suspension. I'm debating whether to respring the shock, or upgrade it.

I looked for this being brought up previously but did not see it...
The DynoJet site and my local dealer do not list the PC-V for a 2007 FJR, the PC-III is listed instead.

Does the PC-V fit and work on FJRs before 2009? Other than the smaller size is there any advantage

(or disadvantage) to the newer version?

Thanks!

:edit:

PC-III for 03-05 Part no: PC409-411

PC-III for 06-08 Part no: 1020-0244

PC-V for 09-10 Part no: 0120-0894
Saw that too. The guys at fuelmoto claim that the PC-V does work with their retrofit (https://fuelmotousa.com/pcvretrofit.htm), and that's what I'm having put on my '07. I think there's other guys on this site who have PC-Vs for their pre-09. Someone chime in?
I have the PCV installed on my .07, with the map supplied by Fuel Moto. Is autotune necessary, not to me, but if you want it fine tuned, then you have that option. My mileage did not deteriorate.

Last night I installed a PC-III, with the Wally/Bill Smoothness Map, and while I had the tank up and the heat shield off, I also did a TBS and loosened the TRS one turn. For the TBS I set 1,3,4 to match 2 since it looks to be wickedly hard to get to and it was in spec. I also took most of the slack out of the throttle cable. I just got back from the most enjoyable hour I have spent on the FJR--no surging at all unless I want it, crisp throttle control and no sore throttle hand.

This question from a motorcycle noob: Is all of this work and cost of the PC to get the FJR running and handling great (ie, HaulinAshe's suspension settings) also the norm with other bikes? Not knockin' the Feej here, just wondering if most bikes need this much attention right after purchase to make them more rideable...

Richard

well, got the PCV with fuelmoto maps installed yesterday. Rode about 20 miles to get home -- highway, stop and go, etc. So far, me likey. Much smoother from starts; idles smoother, and the buzz at 4K rpm is definately reduced. Will get a much longer workout this weekend, but so far, the votes are really positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a data point for 2007 owners.

I bought the 07 model new in early 2007. Very early on I put the PCIII (O2 sensor disconnected) and Holeshots on it. The bike had a terrible time with throttle snatch but never had an issue with decel exhaust popping. The bike has always run very well.

Around 25,000 miles I downloaded Wally's Smoothness Map to the PCIII and the bike rides like a dream! It now has 40,000 miles on it and it runs the best it ever has. The throttle is very smooth and predictable.

I have just fitted a PC V with Auto tune to my 07 bike. I'm in the early stages of tuning and learning how to tweak the settings. I have posted a thread with some images to help others in technical

Andy

I've tried downloading the Useless Pickles ? Wally's Smoothness Map but my PCV won't recognize the file. Anyone know if the DJM file needs to be converted somehow?

I've tried downloading the Useless Pickles / Wally's Smoothness Map but my PCV won't recognize the file. Anyone know if the .DJM file needs to be converted somehow to a .PVM?

<!--quoteo(post=749471:date=Jun 10 2010, 12:10 AM:name=Richard Lenzmeier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Richard Lenzmeier @ Jun 10 2010, 12:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=749471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I looked for this being brought up previously but did not see it...

The DynoJet site and my local dealer do not list the PC-V for a 2007 FJR, the PC-III is listed instead.

Does the PC-V fit and work on FJRs before 2009? Other than the smaller size is there any advantage

(or disadvantage) to the newer version?

Thanks!

:edit:

PC-III for 03-05 Part no: PC409-411

PC-III for 06-08 Part no: 1020-0244

PC-V for 09-10 Part no: 0120-0894<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Saw that too. The guys at fuelmoto claim that the PC-V does work with their retrofit (https://fuelmotousa.com/pcvretrofit.htm), and that's what I'm having put on my '07. I think there's other guys on this site who have PC-Vs for their pre-09. Someone chime in?
Five G, I have an 06 that I just put the PCV only on from fuel moto. It is a totally differant bike. My milage is up 1 or 2mpg (the old fashion way) the stock O2 sensor is still installed and it was a plug and play install. G2 is still on also. I should have done it 4 years ago.

Fuelmoto is the only place I could find the PCV for the 06 the dealer diddn't know anything about the fit on the 06. Dynajet from what i can gather is droping the III in lew of the V.

Five G, I have an 06 that I just put the PCV only on from fuel moto. It is a totally differant bike. My milage is up 1 or 2mpg (the old fashion way) the stock O2 sensor is still installed and it was a plug and play install. G2 is still on also. I should have done it 4 years ago.

bhick,

When you say plug and play, does the PCV just plug in under the seat somewhere, or is there any more to it?

I have an 07 that is about to get some CS-One cans...I've already done the G2 throttle tube, but no TBS or spring un-wind yet.

Thanks

Fly

I installed one on my 07 from fulemoto about 3 weeks ago and its been about 95% better. The bike is so much smoother now and the fuel mileage was not affected. My dash readout is about spot on with figuring the mpg out. It sucks that you have to spend $300 to fix yamahas screw up but otherwise I am very happy with it.

Last night I installed a PC-III, with the Wally/Bill Smoothness Map, and while I had the tank up and the heat shield off, I also did a TBS and loosened the TRS one turn. For the TBS I set 1,3,4 to match 2 since it looks to be wickedly hard to get to and it was in spec. I also took most of the slack out of the throttle cable. I just got back from the most enjoyable hour I have spent on the FJR--no surging at all unless I want it, crisp throttle control and no sore throttle hand.

This question from a motorcycle noob: Is all of this work and cost of the PC to get the FJR running and handling great (ie, HaulinAshe's suspension settings) also the norm with other bikes? Not knockin' the Feej here, just wondering if most bikes need this much attention right after purchase to make them more rideable...

Richard
Just about any bike you buy these days needs after market stuff to make it right.

Seats are for sure high on the list, as every one in the last 20 years needed a new seat for MY ass.

Suspension is another. On my 05 Road Glide, a 07 BMW K 1200 LT, and the FJR needed new suspension to suit me.

All the above three bikes have/had Fueling devices on them.

Some needed brake upgrades as in the K 1200 as they squealed like a pig when applied, the FJR brakes I love!

All bikes have some type of "needs fixed or upgraded" component IMHO. Cutting cost in manufacturing, but not exactly putting junk on, just what will serve the purpose. I mean they surely cant put a Russel or Corbin seat on with AK 20's and a Pensky rear shock and make the bikes price point competitive. Most good motorcycle reviews will tell you about brakes and seat and diving under braking.

Even down to the stock tires which on every bike I have bought have been junk. Good manufactures name on them, but usually the lower end product from that company.

The fuel is EPA and it used to be a new jetting of the carbs, but no longer with FI. So it costs more to fix with fueling devices but same thing, just more money.

I know that is why I bought the FJR as I knew it would cost me less overall to bring it up to my expectations, and less to buy it outright. I paid cash for my last three bikes and only had a real budget on the FJR. I had insurance money from the K 1200 LT and that is what I had to spend without getting into my savings.

I guess when I buy a bike I know I got another 3-4 grand into it to make it right for me. Between suspension at 2K, seat at 700-1000, fueling at 3-400, tires at 300 or so, and various other things it adds up quick.

I do love my FJR !

I installed one on my 07 from fulemoto about 3 weeks ago and its been about 95% better. The bike is so much smoother now and the fuel mileage was not affected. My dash readout is about spot on with figuring the mpg out. It sucks that you have to spend $300 to fix yamahas screw up but otherwise I am very happy with it.
What part # PC-V did you get? I also have an '07. Was there anything tricky about the install?

Thanks

Fly

What part # PC-V did you get? I also have an '07. Was there anything tricky about the install?

Thanks

Fly

Call fuel moto and they will make sure you have the right unit and map for your bike.

Thanks

Fly

Its the same as the 09 up and install wasnt that bad. The hardest part was locating the wiring harness and getting it to unsnap and that wasnt difficult. I did forget to unhook the o2 sensor and had to take it back apart to do that.

Would anyone be able to share a screen shot of their favorite map and then we can compare them or have the option to tweak ours?