Putting in Gear Cold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for all the answers. The bike has been sitting for 3 days. This morning after letting it warm up, I held the clutch for a slow count of ten, and then blipped the throttle to about 5500. Slipped into gear almost without even a click.

Mine goes kerchink. Should I be concerned?
Yes you should, those damn Chinese have hacked your gearbox!

Cold, nine times out of ten, I have to rock my '15 back and forth to get it in gear and then just snicks in. After warming up it's about 50/50 need to rock it and snick or the more normal FJR ker-clunk.
My '09 behaved similar to the '15, the others were always ker-clunk.
dntknw.gif

--G
First, here's what actually causes the kerchunk: When the engine is in neutral and the clutch is engaged the two halves of the clutch will naturally be spinning at engine speed. When you pull in the clutch the output side of the clutch is no longer being driven, but there is very little resistance to turn, so it tends to continue to freewheel. Any small amount of drag between the interleaved clutch plates will make this freewheeling continue.

The output side of the clutch is directly connected to the input side of the transmission, so the trans input gear shaft will be spinning also. Since the bike is stationary, the output side gear shafts are also stationary as they are indirectly connected to the rear wheel through the drive line.

When you engage 1st gear the freewheeling input gear dogs engage the stationary output gear dogs and kerchunk!

Your need to rock the bike to get it to engage 1st from neutral means that after you pull the clutch lever there is no rotation of the output side of the clutch at all and the ends of the two dogs happen to be lined up with each other, so you need to rotate one or the other gear shaft to get them to engage. So, you need to either rock the bike forward / back to rotate the output gear or you can fan the clutch out and back to get the input gear spinning a little.

Many, many years of kerchunking FJRs have shown that it is nothing to be particularly concerned about. But I had developed a habit of always parking the bike in gear (everywhere except in my home garage) and then warm starting my FJR with the transmission in gear and the clutch pulled in. You will never get a kerchunk when you do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many, many years of kerchunking FJRs have shown that it is nothing to be particularly concerned about. But I had developed a habit of always parking the bike in gear (everywhere except in my home garage) and then warm starting my FJR with the transmission in gear and the clutch pulled in. You will never get a kerchunk when you do that.
I do the same to avoid the kerchunk. A good idea to park in gear anyway! Due to clutch plates sticking together, there is sometimes a slight lurch when the starter is thumbed. Especially noticeable if the bike has been sitting or if ambient temperatures are low. Never a big problem - my right hand (or foot) is on the brake.

Glad it worked. FYI, 5500 is a bit serious for a blip. I bet it will work if you just do a quick little blip up to 2500 or so. Just enough to break the plates free. And just for a second.