Question about MotoFizz bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zom

Reaction score
Looking for thoughts from those that have any of the three sizes of MotoFizz seat bags. I have a week long trip coming up & wanted to get the mid size. So of course Aerostich is out of stock for 3 weeks, which will be too late for me.

My main goal for the bag is to keep all clothes for trips of 7 to 12 days, PLUS room to put my Stitch suit for those times when I want to wander away from the bike for a roadside attraction. This will free up the side bags for helmet, boots/shoes & tool storage. I know the large will fit the bike, but will it be too "floppy" if I don't have it loaded with stuff? If I don't have the suit stuffed in there, is it going to be sagging while going down the road? And I assume the small will be too small to fit all that?

Any help?

thanks

I don't have any of the MF bags, but I've looked at them several times, and I have quite a bit of packing-for-long-trips experience. Do have a few thoughts you might consider:

1. You don't have to take a lot of clothes for a longer trip. You can wash out socks and underwear, even tshirts overnight, esp. if you buy fast-drying "travel" items. (hint: buy a package of Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets (soap, softener, and anti-static dryer sheet in one) and take a couple in a ziplock baggie. Saves a LOT of money at a laundromat, and also works well for sink-washing. Cut a sheet in two or three parts for that.)

2. Store your helmet outside the bike. A small padlock, with or without a chain or cable, can secure your helmet by its rings to lots of places on the bike.

3. With a longer cable, you can also run it through a sleeve or leg of your riding suit and store it outside of a bag as well, like department stores secure expensive leather jackets.

4. The large MF bag is VERY large; likely too large for anything but the longest trips. Most say the medium is the most versatile. I'd wait for that size and use another duffel for this trip. If you don't have one, you can get a used one cheap from the Army-Navy store. If you expect rain, put a plastic trash bag inside the duffel. You might never even bother with the expensive MotoFizz.

Hope that's useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some pics of the large MotoFizz bag mounted on my '05. As SactoMike says, it is LARGE, but it has plenty of structure to maintain its shape when not full.

Some notes:

• Nowadays, I only use my large MF bag for longer camping trips.
  • Even though the bag hangs out over the sidebags, you can still get to the latches with no problem.
  • If anything, the bike has better aerodynamics with the bag mounted.
  • In my experience, the rain cover only works if you supply your own bungie cords to hold it onto the bag - the drawstring is not up to the task.

Click this one for a larger view:

fjrmotofizz.jpg

I think I bought the last medium bag back in late May.

At first I thought it was massiff but after using it for a few days became very fond of it. It holds a lot of stuff and is very well designed.

As noted you can store quite a bit of stuff on the bike and not need to fill the side bags with helmets and such.

The medium fits the bike well and actually acts as a back rest for the rider. It's a bit of a stretch to get a leg over it. Just learn how to do a "Goldwing shuffle" to get on.

Bit pricy but the quality really shows.

Just for an alternative POV, I plan to use a Dry Pak waterproof duffle that costs $39.98 delivered. These are used for sailing and where wet exposure is expected, and is the same size as the medium MF (12 x 12 x 24). The MF bag does look cooler, but was not in the budget. At least this one matches the fast Galaxy Blue. Straps are removable, and the top rolls down to make a water-tight enclosure.

213743276.jpg

This is the only photo I could find showing the expanded bag on the bike:

2007-07-19-11h58m07c.jpg

When expanded, the large MotoFizz bag extends almost to the same width as the bike's side bags. That thing sticking up from the top-middle of the bag is my sunglasses, with one earpiece hooked under the elastic cord.

This was taken at the Chief Mountain border crossing, from Montana into Alberta near Glacier National Park - by far my favorite border crossing.

...Aerostich is out of stock for 3 weeksMy main goal for the bag is to keep all clothes for trips of 7 to 12 days, PLUS room to put my Stitch suit ...but will it be too "floppy" if I don't have it loaded with stuff?

Any help?

thanks
Aerostich customer service personnel, usually, have a pretty good handle on what-fits-what.

S.O. uses this:

4133-1.jpg

She also has an Aerostich "Stich" bag -- made just to put the suit in.

You're welcome.

This was taken at the Chief Mountain border crossing, from Montana into Alberta near Glacier National Park - by far my favorite border crossing.
Yes -- remote border crossings (where they may actually welcome you -- someone to talk to...).

One of my 'favs' is the Wild Horse crossing from Montana to Alberta. Another is the "self-serve" border crossing 'booth' in and out of Angle Inlet, Minnesota.

I don't have any of the MF bags, but I've looked at them several times, and I have quite a bit of packing-for-long-trips experience. Do have a few thoughts you might consider:

1. You don't have to take a lot of clothes for a longer trip. You can wash out socks and underwear, even tshirts overnight, esp. if you buy fast-drying "travel" items. (hint: buy a package of Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets (soap, softener, and anti-static dryer sheet in one) and take a couple in a ziplock baggie. Saves a LOT of money at a laundromat, and also works well for sink-washing. Cut a sheet in two or three parts for that.)

2. Store your helmet outside the bike. A small padlock, with or without a chain or cable, can secure your helmet by its rings to lots of places on the bike.

3. With a longer cable, you can also run it through a sleeve or leg of your riding suit and store it outside of a bag as well, like department stores secure expensive leather jackets.

4. The large MF bag is VERY large; likely too large for anything but the longest trips. Most say the medium is the most versatile. I'd wait for that size and use another duffel for this trip. If you don't have one, you can get a used one cheap from the Army-Navy store. If you expect rain, put a plastic trash bag inside the duffel. You might never even bother with the expensive MotoFizz.

Hope that's useful.
+1 to everything Mike is saying here. This is how I travel with the medium MF bag, for 3-4 week trips.

I find that the amount of clothes needed for a week will last me as long as necessary, and I only use the MF when I camp.

The less weight there is on the bike the better it handles and the more fun I have in the twisties. With a Large MF bag the temptation to bring everything under the sun would just be too great.

I have and use a Helen Two Wheels med and lrg roll top bags. The med is my go to and the large if I am camping. The med just hangs over the black part of each side case but not the lid. They are waterproof as long as you get 3 rolls on the top when closing, however I tested it at 2 and it did not leak. I like the strap system to hold it on the bike and they are well made waterproof roll top duffel s.

However seeing the blue bag pictured for boating I like it also and the price seems right.

Also remember compression bags are your friend when it comes to shrinking stuff. They also can help you sort things if you go color coding with them.

Along those lines, this is how Wheaton rode his entire 3-week California Odyssey. Very compact and aerodynamic. Make me wonder why I even have a tour pak.

WheatonFJR017.jpg

FoothillRide074.jpg

Got a friend who rides with a large dry bag bungied to his seat. Yes, it is large, holds a lot of stuff, waterproof and inexpensive. But it's a PITA to find anything in the bag due to the size, difficult to access without taking the entire bag off the bike, and bungie cords suck - especially when they break. I whole-heartedly recommend the MF bag (and a couple Rok-straps) over a dry-bag for it's convenience ... if you can swallow the price tag.

Thanks for all the responses. I've decided to just wait for the medium MF to show up instead of going with the large. If it doesn't make it in time for the trip, I've done a number of long trips without it, so I'll survive. The only time I've really wished for more space is when I have to take my laptop & work tools on a business trip for a week or so. Your comments also reminded me that I have a retractable lock that I can always use to secure the Stitch when needed.

Thanks

zom

Yeah the waterproof duffel works for me as well and I have a couple sizes from my canoeing days. You can nab them at Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops etc.

I assume you don't have a top case? If you do, one trick to secure the helmet is to lock the strap in the top case. You can put the buckle half inside the lid, close the lid on it.

Can't help you with storing the stich. But I've left my Jacket draped over my bike for the better part of a day many times, covering up stuff.

Good luck.

Zom,

I stumbled across your post a bit late but I felt compelled to offer my two cents. I too have taken week long trips and have used the Motofizz bags. I opted for the large model and I couldn't be happier. The bag fits the FJR perfectly and it definitely isn't too big for the bike. I you're looking for enough room to fit a tent, sleeping bag, mattress pad, clothes, toiletries and cooking utensils, then this is the bag for you. With it I am completely self sustained and I'm not sweating it if I find come across a small souvenir that has to make the trip home with me. When the bag is full, the attached side bags do overhang onto the side bags of the bike but they don't hang past. They wind up looking almost flush with the profile of the bike. If you plan on taking the FJR camping you won't be disappointed in the large.

DSC_6231.jpg
[/img]

In this pic the Fizz is fully packed. It stands up straight, has plenty of structure and doesn't sag. It even doubles as a pretty good back rest if you pack it correctly. It's also very secure and doesn't move around in the least. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

COLDCUT

Another POV...I spent some time deciding between the MotoFizz and the large Ortlieb duffel; I ultimately went with the Ortlieb (from Aerostich). It's inexpensive when compared to the Fizz, waterproof, tough as nails, and can be used as a wash tub in a pinch...very happy with it so far. The cinch straps are long enough to loop through the grab rails, eliminating the need for extra straps.

fjr-camp2011-01.jpg