question about radiator guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bunch of people have them on their FJRs. I have a stainless steel Bike Johnny one myself. The thing about the Cox product is that it's all aluminum. Great for minor crud and small sticks, but not so good if you get a fair size rock bouncing up into the radiator or a piece of metal debris. Your choice, assess your risks for your area and decide.

Bike Johnny.com

Not cheap, but will absolutely do the job. Mine has a couple of good dings in it that I don't think the aluminum would have stopped. That's in 90k miles, but it only takes one to ruin your day.

Yes, I have the cox guard and have used it for more than 50k miles. It has a few scars on it so I assume it has done it's job. It could fail if something heavy enough or sharp enough hit it at speed, but it hasn't happened yet. You can spend more for better protection, kind of like buying insurance. Or you can make your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over 25k on my COX guard and no problems here in Vermont. Not too pricey and easy to install as well.

Tom

IMHO Cox Racing is NOT a cheap radiator guard. I've had mine for about 4K miles (also purchased on ebay for about $40, new) no issues, even with my Stebel Magnum horns.

I did have a small issue when installing it where the guard was too close to the power terminal on my Stebel horn and it made contact after a while and I lost a couple fuses until I figured out what was up. Just slightly adjusted the horn and now all's well. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
No guard on mine an it survived odot an a ballpeen. :blink: He was drunk though, just busted out the signal lens's

:jester: