Question on Tour Performance HR Tripple Clamp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wedge

Reaction score
I bought my bike new in 2008. Just decided to pull the trigger on the Tour Performance HR Triple Clamp to get a more comfortable riding position. In the instructions it mentions taking the fuel tank off. What is the purpose of removing the tank? Is this really needed or can you get it done without doing this? If anyone has done this instal, some tips and feed back would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't read the Heli instructions, but I imagine they are taking the tank off for access to the ignition switch wire plugs. This will allow removal of the original clamp and easier drilling of the ignition switch screws in a drill press.

To install the new clamp, you must drill out the theft proof screws holding the ignition switch in place. When installed, the drive portion of the theft proof screws are twisted off leaving what looks like a rivet head. Once the screw heads are drilled off you remove the switch for installation in the Heli clamp. The process isn't that difficult, but make sure you center punch the screw head and begin with a new sharp carbide bit.

Have fun!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my bike new in 2008. Just decided to pull the trigger on the Tour Performance HR Triple Clamp to get a more comfortable riding position. In the instructions it mentions taking the fuel tank off. What is the purpose of removing the tank? Is this really needed or can you get it done without doing this? If anyone has done this instal, some tips and feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Ya, who needs instructions. WTF, my wife gave me a manual for being better in bed, think I read that? Ha! I know not to eat crackers in the rack,,,

However, removal of the tank allows removal of the old wire looms, the control and cables are short to begin with, and you need the extra access. I love my HeliTour's, I can sit upright like a man! not all leaned over like a old codger who has been reading dime store romance novels.

I've done 3 Heli instals and never have i removed the tank.......But.

Removing the tank only takes about 5-6 minutes so if it makes you happy remove it...less likely to scratch it that way.

R

I just installed my Tour Performance triple clamp last night and I suppose it could be done without removing the tank...but it is was the easiest part of the installation/swapout of the clamp. It certainly aids in drilling the ignition bolts out. Now I need some better weather to test this new riding position.

I bought one last year and it is some piece of quality. You can tell you are dealing with a something good even before you unwrap it. Heli is quality stuff.

Got the riser installed. You were right, not a big job getting the tank off. The biggest job was getting the security bolts drilled out. Took my time, no drill press so I used hand drill with no issues. Love the bar position now and the bonus two ram ball mounting positions. Thanks for the input, it was a great help....