Question:Sena 30k Experiences

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpridesdfw

Reaction score
I'm ready to take the plunge and purchase a helmet mounted comm system. My question is regarding any good or bad experiences with the 30K vs 20s. The tried and true 20s is still available(online) and based on a less than favorable YouTube vid from 2wheelobsession, I'm trying to decide which path to go. Is there are anyone here on the forum who jumped from the 20s to the 30k and can offer a perspective of added value Vs cost. I.E. Was it worth it?

I bought a 20S dual pack a couple of years ago and I am absolutely satisfied with them. The battery life is very good. I play music constantly and communicate with buddies for 2 or 3 day-rides before needing to recharge. Having 2 of them, I carry a fully charged one with me and just swap them out when the one I'm using dies.

I have no experience with the 30S, but for my money, I would rather have a dual pack of 20S, than 1 30S.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had issues with the 20s and tech support was minimal . Once they finally replaced them and I became a little smarter they seem to work as intended. I have yet to try anything other than music and intercom so I can't comment on other functions.

What are you planning to use it for? For everything but connecting with 3+ people, the 20s is fantastic. My buddies and I always had issues with the group intercom. It works splendidly with 2 people, music, GPS, and calls.

We now have Cardo PackTalks because we won't give Sena any more of our money. It sounds like the 30k is the way to go if you want group intercom that works from Sena.

I spoke extensively with a Sena tech and the really advantage with the 30K is that it uses a mesh network similar to Cardo's. Cardo came out with it first but Sena is the dominant player.

If you do a lot of group rides, the 30K is for you.

If you do more solo, 2-up and couples rides, the 20S is your tool. That what I just scored and my local CycleGear is awesome and installed for free with purchase.

It's really simple - if your entire riding group is using 30ks, you are golden. Otherwise you are better off with the 20s. The bluetooth side of the 30k is the exact same tech as the 20s, along with it's problems. SENA is aware of them but so far has not updated the 30k firmware to correct anything. There is no mix and match between mesh and Bluetooth. So if your riding buddies are not 30k, you can't use it.

Thanks for all the feedback. The "how will I be using it" really is the harder question. I do mostly solo riding but there's a large group that I ride with that has has a smorgasbord of comm systems: ranging from built in HD and Goldwing CB systems to a sprinkling of other Sena and Cardo to no comm systems at all. Right now I'm in the latter and ready to remedy that. There has been some talk about trying to converge on a common system but those who spent a bunch of money on their built In OEM systems, typicall hard wired, are understandably resistant to buying a bunch of new stuff to convert their built in systems to wireless. 30K's were discussed as an option and potential group buy but I sense this debate will continue for months and I'm ready to jump in. I'll be using this with both my FJR and my VTX so helmet mounted is the only viable option for me. Am also considering tying into a handheld CB (Midland) so I can also connect to those hard wired guys. And am also looking for a good tank bag option to keep iPhone,wallet, handheld CB, camelback etc in.

Sorry but the hardwired comments systems are obsolete. Some people have multiple motorcycles and wireless makes more sense. Wireless and Bluetooth connect phone, gps, music and intercomm.

Tank bags - Tourmaster, love them.

Tank bag = "Element" magnetic bag is great. I just grab It and transfer it to whichever bike I'm riding. Reasonably priced.

Uh, sorry, I don't know where to get them anymore. I just did a couple of quick searches on Ebay and Amazon and I could not find one like mine, but I did see Cortech brand and others very similar.

Thanks, also unable to find any Google hits on "Element". I have an older Cortech magnetic bag that seen better days, map holder yellowing etc. I like the idea of a ring lock mount, to keep the bag off the paint but a number that I've seen just look a bit odd..kind of cantilevered off the rear of the tank. I really don't need a very large bag but would like something that's: functional, durable and looks good on the bike. The search is on....

I'm thinking if ya don't go with the 30 today, tomorrow you'll wish you had. Funny how it always seem to work that way for me.
fool.gif

Paul

It's really simple - if your entire riding group is using 30ks, you are golden. Otherwise you are better off with the 20s. The bluetooth side of the 30k is the exact same tech as the 20s, along with it's problems. SENA is aware of them but so far has not updated the 30k firmware to correct anything. There is no mix and match between mesh and Bluetooth. So if your riding buddies are not 30k, you can't use it.
so wouldn't the 30k make sense, since if they use bluetooth both units are the same ?? and if someone else uses at 30k, then that works too ??

aside from saving a few dollars, why would the 20 be the recommendation ??

debating a purchase myself. thanks (1st com)

To restate the last question, can you manually select mesh mode vs regular Bluetooth? Or is it auto selecting and therefore a pain in the neck?

so wouldn't the 30k make sense, since if they use bluetooth both units are the same ?? and if someone else uses at 30k, then that works too ??

aside from saving a few dollars, why would the 20 be the recommendation ??

debating a purchase myself. thanks (1st com)
Because the 20s models can connect to twice as many bluetooth units. If you aren't using mesh, the 20s is the better unit.

To restate the last question, can you manually select mesh mode vs regular Bluetooth? Or is it auto selecting and therefore a pain in the neck?
There is no automatic, it's ONLY manually switching.

I recently jumped into the comms world by purchasing the Sena 30K dual pack and have experienced nothing but frustration. One minute they pair up and work great, the next minute they don't. The mesh networking is a gimmick... it only works with other 30K units, otherwise you'll be on the same old bluetooth network. You can't even listen to your phone or music on the mesh network, those only work on the bluetooth side, not with the mesh. One time (read: ONE time) I got it working where my wife and I could listen to our own music playlists and still hop over to comms but most of the time they are an endless source of aggravation, wasting the first 30 minutes of our ride time trying to sync up.

Does anyone at Sena actually ride a motorcycle? And could they please stop trying to cram a hundred features into a few buttons and instead just focus on solid communications that work every time?

Note: I just downloaded the firmware update so maybe some of these issues are improved (insert doubt and eye rolling here). Too cold and rainy to ride today but I'll report back soon.

I recently jumped into the comms world by purchasing the Sena 30K dual pack and have experienced nothing but frustration. One minute they pair up and work great, the next minute they don't. The mesh networking is a gimmick... it only works with other 30K units, otherwise you'll be on the same old bluetooth network. You can't even listen to your phone or music on the mesh network, those only work on the bluetooth side, not with the mesh. One time (read: ONE time) I got it working where my wife and I could listen to our own music playlists and still hop over to comms but most of the time they are an endless source of aggravation, wasting the first 30 minutes of our ride time trying to sync up.
Does anyone at Sena actually ride a motorcycle? And could they please stop trying to cram a hundred features into a few buttons and instead just focus on solid communications that work every time?

Note: I just downloaded the firmware update so maybe some of these issues are improved (insert doubt and eye rolling here). Too cold and rainy to ride today but I'll report back soon.
??? i don't understand this. so if connected mesh to another 30k, you can't listen to bluetooth music. Is this at all, or over the network, or is there no multitask with mesh ?? i would have thought i could get gps, play tunes from phone, and use mesh to communicate

I cannot get my 30K to do anything on mesh except intercom. In order to listen to music, GPS, text alerts, etc. I have to turn OFF the mesh and turn ON the bluetooth intercom network. Again, I wish Sena would focus on the few simple things most riders need and stop complicating their products. As my first experience with wireless comms on a motorcycle, the 30K is a giant FAIL.

Some serious questions about the Sena 30k:

I realize that it's major claim to fame is the "mesh" communication to allow more participants in a group conversation. But what if you don't care about that feature? I personally could care less if I can communicate with a group of riders.

Can the "mesh" feature be permanently disabled? And when mesh is disabled, does it then behave essentially like the 20S?

I think what I want to get is a set of the 20S units. I currently have the SMH10's but they cannot multi-task listening to the intercom, and any other BT source (like my SH10, which feeds me prioritized music and GPS directions overlaid with RD alerts). I think I could do all of that with a pair of 20S's. Not sure if you can do that with a pair of 30k's.

Latest posts