Questions about running wires for Blue Sea fuse block

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbh

Reaction score
I have started my install of the Blue Sea fuse box. Here are my plans (some have already been done):

The box will be switched via a relay.

I will have a in line 30 amp fuse from battery to box.

I will run GPS, Powerlet on dash, future heated grips, future cruise control from switched box.

The future stuff will have the wires run to the dash, just not hooked up yet.

The box will be below the driver seat with the power commander.

I have already drilled and installed the powerlet in the panel where the AE would have the grip heater control.

Tank and side panels (by seat) are already off.

I plan to use the powerlet in the dash to power my tank bag where I will put my XM radio and antenna (a local riding friend uses this on his ST1300 with good success).

Bike is a 2006A.

I have a few questions:

1. Where is everyone running the wires? I purchased a few wire looms (hard plastic ones rated for use in auto applications under the hood). I also purchased some heat shrink wrap (will a hair dryer work to shrink it?). The box will be under the driver seat so the wires will need to from the battery to the box and back to the front dash area. I was thinking about just running them on top of the insulating foil, under the tank. That is where I have my current wires for GPS, Heated clothing, Power commander ground.

2. What should I do about my gerbrings heated clothing lead? Should I just keep it right off the battery or bring it off the fuse box? I think I may actually like to just add a powerlet on the left side panel not switched that I can run the clothing from, plus I could use it to run other items when key is off.

3. I need to get a power source to run the relay. I found on the left side 2 wires that I am almost positive run the liscense plate light. They are in a seperate loom from the wires that go to the breaklights. How does that sound, does it matter which of the two wires I tap into?

Let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.

I ran the wires to the front of the bike along the left frame. I ran the wires from the battery to the fuse box down the right frame. Just remove the tank and heat shield, and you can see where the factory wires run. You can run them along the same area. Wrapping in heat protection (fuel line or expensive heat tape will work).

Tail light works for triggering the relay. It is the blue wire and can be accessed along the left frame under the seat. Also, if you haven't found a place for it yet, the area under the tool tray is a good place for the relays.

One final note, put the fuse for the lead going to the fuse box right by the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up running the wiring harness between the tank and the foil. The holes on the left and right side of the dash where the tank meets them are just begging for wires to be run there. My harness was big as there are 10 wires running through it (2 are 10 gauge, 8 are 14 gauge). Its a little snug but not compressed.

Tomorrow night I will do all the connections. I reinstalled the tank today. I also put new spark plugs in while I was down there. If I had a carbtune I would have done the sync but that will wait a little longer.

Now I just wish my new Big Ear in earbuds would get here, my ER6I's just don't seem to cut it anymore for comfort and staying in place. Temps below 100 would also be nice.

I ran mine down both sides. All the audio cables are in one of those automotive split looms running down the left side under the tank, and all of the power leads run down the right side under the tank(above the insulation), also in a split loom. I run my Blue Sea constant hot to run my GPS and Radar all of the time, so if I'min an Iron Butt I have true times. I added a relay that triggers off of the running lights to run my XM and FRS Radio (hard wired and under the rear seat). The Blue Sea, PC3, and Starcom are all mounted under the driver seat. I can supply photo's if needed.

Ohh, if you run FRS, don't run the audio cable under the tank, I thinnk it pickes up interferance from the fuel pump. Mines mounted under the tail section behind the passenger seat.

Last edited by a moderator: