Quick fasteners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don2334

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new fjr owner. I just got it home today. Everything seems pretty straight forward on it except for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the quick fasteners. I have been trying to get the battery cover off. Do you just pry them off? I'm afraid to force it for fear of breaking something. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Don

Push the center pin in SLOWLY, WHILE pulling up on the rest of the fastener. Yamma uses at least 3 dif typs of plastic pins, if U push the pin in too far, it may drop into neverland. I left the side battery cover off altogether, less work on those stupid pins.

Some push in the center, these have no slots. Others have a 1/4 phillips head slot on them. Turn them 1/4 turn and then pull right out. Nothing comes off and goes back on by prying.

Go to your local Ace Hardware or ??, much cheaper !! Some buy 100 or more (bulk) at 1 time on-line for a good price.

Some push in the center, these have no slots. Others have a 1/4 phillips head slot on them. Turn them 1/4 turn and then pull right out. Nothing comes off and goes back on by prying.

+1

The ones with the Phillips head slots can be the most problematic; the whole head tends to turn with the Phillips screw. I use a small pair of forceps (mosquito forceps) to hold the edge of the head to keep this from happening. I've used all three types of these fasteners multiple times. Ian, Iowa

Last edited by a moderator:
Having recently taken the left side off to install Brodie's harness, there are at least 3 types of plastic rivets used all over the FJR - phillips Centre large rivet, philips Centre medium rivet, and centre push pin medium rivet.

The Centre push pins seem to be used in places where it's nearly impossible to get a proper tool in, and the large flange rivets IIRC were on the side tupperware just below the seat (there may be more).

I should have used a tool to pry the damn things off, but instead used my delicate office-worker fingernails to pry them up. My thumbnails still hurt from 2 weeks ago.

ian

Having recently taken the left side off to install Brodie's harness, there are at least 3 types of plastic rivets used all over the FJR - phillips Centre large rivet, philips Centre medium rivet, and centre push pin medium rivet.

The Centre push pins seem to be used in places where it's nearly impossible to get a proper tool in, and the large flange rivets IIRC were on the side tupperware just below the seat (there may be more).

I should have used a tool to pry the damn things off, but instead used my delicate office-worker fingernails to pry them up. My thumbnails still hurt from 2 weeks ago.

ian

Latest posts