R1 shift lever mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and I need to do the spline & U-joint lube at the same time.
Is there a way to lube the u-joint?

Everything looked sealed to me?
Clarification: :D

I lubed both tonight. By "spline", I meant the splines that drive the rear wheel at the back/side of the differential. By 'U-Joint", I meant the U-Joint splines/drave-shaft spline where it goes in to the u-joint.

As far as I know, the U-joint IS totally sealed and can not be lubed.

On the down-side, my FJR is sitting in the driveway on the center stand and a block of wood. It's "shoes" are in the back of the pickup so that I can drop them off in the morning to be "re-soled". :clapping:

I sure went through this tire quick... maybe I SHOULDN'T have learned how to do a burnout! :dribble:

Nice pics, looks like a good job. My pivot bolt is all the way in, and no prob with the wave washer or binding, either the washer between the lever and plate is mis-located, or I don't know, you shouldn't have to have the bolt loose in there.
Radman, from the pix you'll notice that the pivot bolt is a shoulder bolt & if tightened all the way down, to where the shoulder hits, then the leaver couldn't move at all because the shoulder isn't quite long enough. It comes from the factory with threadlocker on the threads but my bolt was snugged down too tight, completely compressing the wave washer, causing the leaver to bind. I coulnd't tell it was binding untill I disconnected the linkage & found that it was hard to move but my size 11s put enough pressure on it to move it easily. After cleaning & lubeing & with threadlocker on it, I only tightened it down just enough to compress the wave washer slightly. Possiably, your wave washer is there but is completely compressed cause the bolt is tighter than it needs to be. I was going to go with the R1 leaver but after the lubeing & proper adjustment, I liked it the way it is. Later,,, De :rolleyes:

I just ordered the R1 shift arm from Gary and cleaned the shift mechanism and relubed it to get ready. I didn't notice the torque values in the pictures above - for those who need them:

2 x bottom 8mm allen (45 lbft)

1 x 50 Torx (35 lbft)

2 x 6mm (20 lbft)

Easy job. As the sidestand comes off, make sure the bike's on the centerstand!

Last edited by a moderator:
My bolt is tight, the action smooth and easy, the wave washer gap as it should be.

I may have posted some bum scoop on the torque values a couple of posts up and wanted to make sure to get to the correct answer. I don't have my manual in front of me so I don't have the page numbers, but here's my story.

When I put the R1 arm on and looked for the torque values for the 5 x bolts used to secure the shifter plate/sidestand to the bike I used the tables in front of the service manual to get the torque values. It gave the value for the left rider peg sidestand bolts as 45 lbft and that's what I used. Last night I was leafing through the manual and saw two pages (drawings) under the engine section that showed the sidestand and the torque for the bolts listed as 118 lbft :blink: . As important as those bolts are I want to make sure I use the correct torque - and since I posted as 45 lbft - and want to make sure I correct it if wrong so others use the correct value.

Will say that I think I am reading the table right and that there isn't another value on the tables for the sidestand bolts - will also say I'm reading the engine section drawing right with the 118 lbft value.

So, for those out there with more expertise than me, which value is correct?

Just received my R1 shift arm from Gary McCoy. Nice to deal with someone who doesn't shaft you on shipping just because you live in Canada. $31.33 including shipping. Definitely an option for Cdn riders. Price quoted from a Cdn dealer, $75 U.S.

+1 for UMotors

riding the 2010.

anyone know if the part listed 5JJ-18112-00 from Gary McCoy is still the correct part for the '10?

also, how would one find this Gary McCoy person...

i'd like to order one from him.

:)

also, how would one find this Gary McCoy person...

i'd like to order one from him.

:)
Gary was a Yamaha dealer contact we had for years that provided parts at very low prices with great customer service. He got bumped around due to dealer closures and is not currently at a dealership (as far as I know). We all miss Gary. :cry: