• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Ram X-Grip Security Option Available for tablets and smartphones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanker

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased a new smartphone (IPhone 6) and was looking for some options for mounting.

I have it in a waterproof "Lifeproof" case and noted some individuals using the Ram X-Grip had there phone drop out of the mount on the road. Many others have had no issues for many, many thousands of miles.

I was out on the GPSCity website and noticed that they have what appears to be an inexpensive fix for those like myself, concerned that they are going to be the one to lose there phone in the mount.

At $3.95+ shipping, this looks like a good option if you feel you need it.

The link is for the mount + security webbing, but you can purchase just the webbing.

https://www.gpscity.com/texel-webgrip-on-x-grip-iv-phone-cradle-b-ball-red.html

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a nice and inexpensive safety net for some additional peace of mind. I also ride with my iPhone 6 in the X-Grip and have had no issues whatsoever. Still, at $3.95 for the web thingy, I may have to pick one up.

Good heads up. I like the looks of it, and fairly cheap insurance. The only failure of one of these I know about is shown on

video, and that's on a sportbike with no wind protection, but safer is always good. Here's a link to the page for this exact product alone; yours went to the X-Grip and the Webgrip sold together.
So I ordered one, plus a set of the soft rubber caps that go over the ends of the arms on the X-Grip that hold your device. ($4.95 for a set of four at the same website, and both orders ship together for the same cost). I noticed I only had three rubber caps up in Spearfish, so I wrapped a large rubber band around the post several times, and that got me home OK, but it was just a stopgap. Plus yesterday, I realized another one of the caps was missing.
grrr.gif

Once I get my replacement caps, I'm going to try gluing them onto the posts with contact cement.

The instructions that came with my x grip said to super glue the rubbers on if concerned that they may come off. Which I did.

To each his own but that thing looks like a PITA to me. I must have good karma. More than 30,000 miles using my X-grip and have never lost the phone or one of the rubbers.

Unfortunately I've had two wrecks with my iPhone in the xgrip and the phone was still firmly in place and functional once but fell out the second. I think I'll try this spider web thingy anyway, especially when using it off-road.

The link says 20 bucks plus... But I see that it includes an x-grip mount..

Scroll down on SacramentoMike's link and you can find just the web things. I like it, never had a problem with my x-mount but a little extra inexpensive security is a good thing.

Of course, shipping almost doubles the cost.
biggrin.png

GPScity gives a 15% discount on RAM products to ADVrider members with coupon code ADVRAM2015

I'm sure anyone here can use that towards the shipping cost.

Ahh, but the web is not a RAM product, so the coupon code doesn't work.
sad.png

$6 on Amazon, but if you add it to an order over $35 then it ships free, making it a smidge cheaper. Good if you are already ordering stuff.

sad.png

$6 on Amazon, but if you add it to an order over $35 then it ships free, making it a smidge cheaper. Good if you are already ordering stuff.
Coupon works for me, but it is only 10% ($.40). still pretty cheap. (Although with amazon prime and free 2day shipping..)

sad.png

Coupon works for me, but it is only 10% ($.40). still pretty cheap. (Although with amazon prime and free 2day shipping..)
I got it on Amazon Prime as well. I talked with GPScity, and they made the coupon code good for both the Texel Webgrip, or the package deal that includes the RAM X-Grip. That one saves a bit more since itis 22.95. I still saved by buying on Amazon due to free shipping.

Lost my x-mount on my last trip. I took it out of my saddlebag and set it down and maybe forgot to put it back. Needless to say, wasn't attached to my bike and didn't have my phone. Ordered up a new one with the Texel WebGrip and it came in today.

My only comment is that for my LG G4 with Otterbox case, it's a smidge big for this thing. I had to really stretch it to get it to fit right. Looking at the photo on Amazon, the x-grip isn't expanded nearly as much as mine is with my phone in it. Something to think about if you have a larger phone or a Phablet.

I got one for my Nexus 6 since I did loose it once. The smaller Xgrip I did not have problems with but the larger one for this phone does not feel as strong. Plus the Nexus 6 has the curved back preventing it from fitting flush adds to the problem. The grip does stretch over it in the protective case and it feels more secure now. I recommend it to prevent trouble on the road...lol

This is awesome.

I am an Amazon Prime member, so will be purchasing there.

I didn't realize they sold the rubber caps by themselves either, so thanks for that heads up.

Here are some links to the products on Amazon if this helps anyone.

Webgrip

Black = https://amzn.to/1OmR9C7

Red = https://amzn.to/1Pjtfbd

End Caps for X-Grip Mount = https://amzn.to/1Gxe86Q

Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated!