Rapid City MSTA anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy96

Reaction score
So who all's going to the annual MSTA (Motorcycle Sport Touring Association)rally ride in Rapid City, SD this year? Any of you members? I'm strongly thinking about it beings that's right up our alley. Rapid City is about a day drive for me so it's doable too. Just curious if any of you are members and recommend it.

I don't know anything about it but I will be looking into it.

EDIT:

How did you find this?

Just checked out MSTA and found they look like a brand new forum with less than 300 posts total. All I can find about Rapid City is two dual sport off road rides called the "Black Hills Adventure Ride" on the 7th & 9th of June. They sound like they would be a blast on the Tenere but unfortunatly I'm already scheduled to rider coach at that time.
upset.gif

MSTA, thats all I need is another forum to follow. I can't get any work done already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a member of MSTA and am considering attending STAR but am still not sure.

MSTA just started a new forum. Their old one had lots of issues and instead of transferring all of the existing members to the new one, they sent out an email telling us to create a new profile on the new site.

MSTA has been around since the early 80s. It's an all-brands sport-touring club with about 1800 members. They are best known for their regional rallies which feature group rates on the host hotel, inexpensive registration, excellent suggested backroad/twisty routes in both map & gps file formats.

Day rides are done in small groups, typically 1-6 people of similar riding skill. Regardless of your desired pace, there are suitable people to ride with. There is a designated 'MAP' person to help newcomers find someone to ride with.

There is camping available at events but this is mostly a hotel crowd. Event attendees don't come just to socialize- every day almost all are out riding routes.

Have been a MSTA member for 14 years & attend most of the rallies. Definitely going to Rapid City June 7-12 for the STAR national rally!

Other MSTA events on my calendar:

Fools Run DS ride, Tellico Plains, TN, April 5-6

N. Ga Classic, Helen GA, April 26-27

Twistar, Spring Green WI, May 17-18

TriSTAR, Sparta, NC, May 24-25

Big Lynn Lodge, Little Switzerland, NC, July 26-27

River City Ride, Corydon, IN, August 3-4

MailPouch Fly-By, Marietta, OH August 2324 (Biggest & best MSTA regional rally)

Bull Shoals, Theodosia, MO, September 6-7

Fall Colors, Lewisburg, WV, October 4-5

For the regional rallies, I usually leave & ride to the rally hotel on Thur, ride local routes on Fri & Sat, then come home on Sun. Living in Dayton, OH, the above rallies are 200-650 miles away so it's not hard to get to them in one day.

If you like sport-touring on great twisty roads, this is the best group I've found.

I joined MSTA last year and am attending the Rapid City rally. 4 of us are going from western NC. Since we're in the area we plan to do some riding in CO. Flexible schedule so by the time we're done screwing around it'll probably be around 6000 miles total.

I read on this the other day in my issue of Rider. Could be fun a whole different room full of folks to meet.

Any of you who are active with MSTA prolly know Woovis. He is my neighbor - he lives aboot 5 minutes away.

I helped him and some other folks to stuff envelopes a few weeks back, so if your envelope doesn't have the correct number of tickets, blame him.

All the folks at the envelope-stuffing were super nice. One of these days I'll wind up joining MSTA...

Any of you who are active with MSTA prolly know Woovis. He is my neighbor - he lives aboot 5 minutes away.I helped him and some other folks to stuff envelopes a few weeks back, so if your envelope doesn't have the correct number of tickets, blame him.All the folks at the envelope-stuffing were super nice. One of these days I'll wind up joining MSTA...
You helped but are not a member yet? That's why I received to many tickets! ;-)

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association is what it stands for Abercrombie FJR. I just read about it in my last issue of Rider too Panman, that's how I found out. It's only round 400 miles or so from my neck a the woods so I think it's doable. For you already members, do you have to be a member to show up? Or can I just show up n' ride or create a membership while I'm there or what?

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association is what it stands for Abercrombie FJR. I just read about it in my last issue of Rider too Panman, that's how I found out. It's only round 400 miles or so from my neck a the woods so I think it's doable. For you already members, do you have to be a member to show up? Or can I just show up n' ride or create a membership while I'm there or what?
You have to be a member to participate at MSTA events, but registration at most of them is only $15 - $25, mostly depending on whether a dinner is included. If it's your first event, you get a year's free membership as part of signup. Financially MSTA is a great deal if you attend one or more of the rallies. For example, for the Mail-Pouch Fly-By in Marietta, OH in late August, registration is $20. You get a cookout on Fri night, dinner on Sat night, a bunch of door prizes, a group rate on the Holiday Inn host hotel that saves more than the registration fee itself, over a dozen paper/GPS suggested routes, great people to ride with, etc.

Latest posts