Re-Waterproofing Jackets and other Apparel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I have a couple of textile motorcycle jackets (non Gortex) that are in desperate need of cleaning and re-waterproofing. I am told that the Nikwax products are the way to go but there seem to be some choices/options. It appears that the Tech Wash product is what should be used for cleaning and while it doesn't actually waterproof the garment, it may help restore water repellency by removing dirt and grease that may conduct water through the outside layer.

For waterproofing, I see the TX.Direct® Wash-In product as well as TX.Direct® Spray-On; both suitable for textiles. Any comments and/or experience with these products?

Edit: Do you do any separate treatment to seams, zippers or stitching?

Also wondering if either of these products would be suitable for a tent? My cheap old nylon tent discourages a mild sprinkle of rain but a downpour makes its way through the fabric before morning. It is far better to have water bead on the surface rather than soak in - even if it doesn't actively leak. Much easier to pack it up the next day if you can shake most of the water off. They seem to carry a tent-specific product that might be better. "Tent & Gear SolarProof®" which claims to be both waterproofing and UV protection.

Nikwax appears to have a huge variety of products but the only one I have used is a leather waterproofer which is not especially effective.

https://www.nikwax.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I long ago gave up on the Nikwax products. I wash my gear with normal detergent then run it through a complete wash/rinse cycle with just water. I then spray it well with camp dry. It is as water resistant as it ever was.... no better but certainly no worse. Nothing is waterproof, that's why there are bilge pumps on submarines.

Ross,

Nikwax has excellent products. The Tech Wash was helps to clean and rejuvenate garments, especially Gore-tex. TX-Direct does a good job of waterproofing for a time. Many of the big suppliers like Patagonia use it on all their waterproof outerwear

Make sure you rinse the Tech-Wash well before applying the TX- Direct. I recommend the wash in TX Direct. It works better than the spray. Add a few garments into the wash as doing just one is kinda a waste. As far as the tent....it will clean it depending what's stuck to it. Tent water proofing relies on the taped seams and the integrity of the fly. Washing can ruin the taped seams. Don't expect miracles (buy a new tent...).

The key to making the TX Direct work is heat. After washing the jacket it will need to either go in the drier for a short time or be ironed at a proper temperature. You can even throw it into the drier to reactive the TX Direct after it starts to loose its waterproofing.

Gore-tex is an interesting material as it is porous membraine it needs to be kept clean to really work. Wearing your jacket where it rubs against something (i.e, sitting in a car for example) removes surface waterproofing like TX- Direct.

I spend my life in the outdoors and have used this product for many years in Gore-tex suits for white water kayaking, Jackets and pants for skiing and mountaineering. It waterproofs for a time but also make the material much silkier to the touch. Hope this helps.

...Nothing is waterproof, that's why there are bilge pumps on submarines.
I have had bike rides where a bilge pump would have been a big help!

Which Kiwi Camp Dry product do you use? The "KIWI® Camp Dry® Heavy Duty Water Repellent" or "KIWI® Camp Dry® Performance Fabric Protector"

Pasted from their website https://www.kiwicampdry.com/

+1. Regular wash with detergent, resolve or similar on dirty areas (which are usually at creases or folds), extra rinse, air dry, then a spray of kiwi tent or shoe water repellant spray.

Ross,
Nikwax has excellent products. The Tech Wash was helps to clean and rejuvenate garments, especially Gore-tex. TX-Direct does a good job of waterproofing for a time. Many of the big suppliers like Patagonia use it on all their waterproof outerwear

Make sure you rinse the Tech-Wash well before applying the TX- Direct. I recommend the wash in TX Direct. It works better than the spray. Add a few garments into the wash as doing just one is kinda a waste. As far as the tent....it will clean it depending what's stuck to it. Tent water proofing relies on the taped seams and the integrity of the fly. Washing can ruin the taped seams. Don't expect miracles (buy a new tent...).

The key to making the TX Direct work is heat. After washing the jacket it will need to either go in the drier for a short time or be ironed at a proper temperature. You can even throw it into the drier to reactive the TX Direct after it starts to loose its waterproofing... Hope this helps.
Thanks, Gmann. I guess anything is an improvement. I have no expectation of long-term waterproofing but it will help me keep reasonably dry for a couple of hours on the road, it is well worth it.

Ross the other guys are right regular laundry soap cleans. But....regular detergent blocks the pours of Gore-tex unless rinsed multiple times. Making the membrane less breathable keeps sweat vapour inside the jacket The other issue is that regular detergent takes the life out of clothing due to chemicals like alkylbenzenesulfonates. Fine with a pair of man panties or socks but a $1000 gore-tex suit. Maybe not such a good idea.....

Grangers is another good company of clean/waterproof products used in the outdoor clothing world.

I'm also a Camp Dry guy- learned in the NE USA mtns as a kid. Mom always gave us a quick spritz of Scotchgard water repellent in the winter and we often outlasted others in the wettest of wet and snow play.

The one I use is the Camp Dry Heavy Duty brand, green can. Says "For Outdoor Gear And Footwear" on it. Works darn good for footwear, leather gloves, textiles, etc. that I use it on. Generally once per yr is sufficient with normal use but if I'm going on a long-ish trip later in the yr I'll apply it again just because.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add me to the Camp Dry camp although as most of my gear has Gore-tex I stock up on the Performance Fabric Protector in the blue can. For the last few years I've been spraying my 'Stich, boots, gloves, tank and tail bags and anything else I pass. Think I got the dog too once as he walked by. What I did notice with this is that even though I stayed dry in some heavy rains, my suit did get real heavy from being water-logged. I have since cleaned it using the Nikwax products and then sprayed it again with Camp Dry. I think it didn't absorb as much during the last rain event but maybe I just wanted it to?
unknw.gif
As far as the bags go, I know spraying them won't make them waterproof but figure it'll buy me a little extra time before pulling over to get the covers on.

I do the same as Powerman. The Revivex product really works in conjunctionwith Goretex.

I read the instruction on broth the Klim tag and the Goretex tag on my suit. One said powdered detergent and no dryer, the other said liquid detergent and lots of dryer. I called Klim, their customer service rep said liquid detergent, dryer and uses Revivex on her suit.

I admire all the textiles, stitch etc. Mainly I wear leather and carry rain gear, it can be a bother but I have been wearing leather for 40 plus years. I used to use snow seal on the boots before goretex and discovered rain check and campdry for gloves and non-leather long ago, good stuff.

Im going to wash my liners in nixway and spray it with star waterproofer I got off amazon in a few weeks. Im trying to get them as waterproof as possible for a 3 week trip in july.