Read wheel bearings removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grommit

Reaction score
Got to replace rear wheel [ball] bearings on my GenI FJR (due to suspicious noise coming from the rear end).

Having no special tool at hand I tried several methods of pulling / knocking these bearings out of the wheel. The method that finally worked was to make use of a 22mm diameter anchor bolt mounted into each of the bearings in a one-by-one fashion.

The anchor and the [new] bearing:

imgp2625.jpg

Mounting anchor into the old bearing in the wheel:

imgp2627.jpg

Knocked out the old bearing by working on the anchor bolt with a steel shaft through the axle hole:

imgp2629.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've taken a LOT of bearings out of all kinds of vehicles and machinery; That is definitely a unique idea!

You, Sir, have my deepest admiration.

Very crafty sir. I did it the hard way like probably many others, I wanted to design a tool to pull them while that same ID spacer washed my design. My wheel bearings were black and toasty @ 42K FWIW, good thing a tireguy pointed it out.

Neat idea. Where did you get a 22mm anchor bolt?
At a hardware store department where they sell mounting hardware (like screws, bolts, nuts etc).

The outer diameter of the anchor should in fact be slightly less than 22mm (perhaps 20mm would work fine) to let it easily into the bearing. The best way would be to take your new bearing to a hardware store to select the best fitting anchor.

I'm not sure you want one.... questioning the OP, the ID of the rear wheel bearings is about 0.785", so wouldn't we want a 3/4" or 19 mm OD anchor bolt?
That's a confusing issue. I've googled the specs for 6204 & 6304 bearings so their inner diameter is 22mm. However, my bearings measure to 21mm at most. In any case I guess the 19-20mm anchor bolt would work fine as it expands in its working position.

I'm not sure you want one.... questioning the OP, the ID of the rear wheel bearings is about 0.785", so wouldn't we want a 3/4" or 19 mm OD anchor bolt?
That's a confusing issue. I've googled the specs for 6204 & 6304 bearings so their inner diameter is 22mm. However, my bearings measure to 21mm at most. In any case I guess the 19-20mm anchor bolt would work fine as it expands in its working position.
I think your other suggestion is a good one, take a bearing to the store with you and match up an anchor bolt. They are not likely to be that precise in their nature, and we're not using them for their intended application. Great idea though.

Heck, I was had right from the name and avatar. The bearing puller was just a bonus.

Gromit's pet human Wallace with his cheeeeeese applicator.

picture_10.jpg

I was seriously puzzled by the Cyrillic on the bolt, until I saw your location! Awesome idea.

One more hint - I found it handy to knock the bearings back into the wheel using plastic waterpipe fitting like this:

polipropilen.jpg

There are many shapes and sizes of these fittings out there, mine was a little too large in diameter so I had to cut some excess material off it.