Ready for Daytona

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer

Reaction score
Lots of snow here in Indiana, so I've taken the down time to do some upgrades and they're finally done! Yeah.........

Changed all fluids: oil and filter, coolant, installed Speed Bleeders and flushes brake fluid, final drive lube.

Upgraded the suspension: Sent forks off to GP Suspension and ordered a Penske shock, now all installed.

Did the Barbarian Mod.

Added T-Rex frame sliders, hope I never need them.

Installed a Fenda Extenda.

Lubed Steering head bearings, rear brake pivot, gear level pivot and hiem joints, pulled the swing arm and lubed all pivot points, did the U-joint lube.

Brodie's ignition relay will be here next week. New Michelon Powers and sparks plugs get installed after Bike Week.

I think I'm ready to go.........now if the snow would just get off the streets so I can try things out.

Have I forgotten anything?

I agree on Daytona, kind of a rite of Spring, especially if you live up north. Been going every year since 1988.

The only thing I can think that I didn't do on the FJR is lube the throttle cables. Not sure if they are to be lubed, since I've heard some are not supposed to need lubrication. The bike is 2004 model and seen 25K. I need to be looking at valve clearances sometime soon also.

Sat. nite at Volusia racewaypark is a hot shoe series pro flat track 1/2 mile, Then the action gets wild on Wed. & Thur. nite at the 1st 2 grand national championship short tracks at memorial stadium.out on lpga blvd. I JUST CAN't WAIT!!!!!!!!!! trailering to smittys ,south of st. louis and riding from there. It will be a nice little 2500 mile round trip, and to top it all off,I scored a 1000 sq. ft. vacation rental house in Ormand beach for 750.00 for the week for me and 4 riding buds. That is going to free up a lot of whiskey money!!! Go fast turn left!

I am jonesin to go! Been 8 times, missed last year and will miss this one too :glare: My younger brother ( a motoX guy) and my niece are going. I told him about the flat track, I hope he can make it- that is some cool race action :clapping: So far they're planning the supercross and the 200

So Racer,

How in the hell do you get the center stand off the bike? I've tried twice but can't get a wrench on tha damn bolt betwen the stand the the can. Whats the trick?

V.

The "right" way is to drop the header,

IIRC, some have reported using a dremel and cutting the bolt head off. When replacing it they put it through the stand in the opposite direction so they can get it off again.

Leaving home Feb 28th (Sat) on the way to Bike Week. Anyone coming down 77 that wants to ride with me Sat am let me know!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Leaving Fredericksburg, VA on March 03, coming back March 08.

The Daytona Speedway has a screwed up web site, they show the 200 on Friday on one page and Saturday on another. First time under the lights, Friday.

FJR guys should all wear pink shirts, so they stick out in the sea of black!

Leaving Fredericksburg, VA on March 03, coming back March 08.
The Daytona Speedway has a screwed up web site, they show the 200 on Friday on one page and Saturday on another. First time under the lights, Friday.

FJR guys should all wear pink shirts, so they stick out in the sea of black!

ARE YOU GAY(pink)?LOL 200 is on fri. SuperX is on sat. The 200 is BORING . Go to the shorttracks!!!!!

I love the Flat Track races! Also like the dyno HP shootouts.

First BikeWeek was 1978, rode my 500 4cyl Honda.

I talked to some biker dude, he said "they have bikes races here"?

Been here before? " Yeah it's my tenth year".

Every year since 1988, except for last year. I usually ride down except for the years I rode the Alligator Dual Sport and Alligator Enduro, and had to haul dirt bikes down. First few years rode a V-max, then a Sportster with 2.25 gallon tank, a Softtail Custom HD was next and one year on a Road King. A BMW R100GSPD followed for a few years, then a 1200 Bandit, DL1000 Vstrom, and finally the best bike I've owned, the mighty 2004 FJR.

I'm planning on catching the Hot Shoe series opener at Ogelthorp Speedway in Savana on the way down. Cool track! See ya all there! woo,woo.

So Racer,
How in the hell do you get the center stand off the bike? I've tried twice but can't get a wrench on tha damn bolt betwen the stand the the can. Whats the trick?

V.
I used a hacksaw to cut the heads off, then reversed the bolts. Extreme pain in the A$$ but sure helped next time I did it!

PS, riding my '04 from San Antonio to Daytona, first time attendee. Will be 'camping' in the infield at the big track.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Racer,

V.
I used a hacksaw to cut the heads off, then reversed the bolts. Extreme pain in the A$$ but sure helped next time I did it!

PS, riding my '04 from San Antonio to Daytona, first time attendee. Will be 'camping' in the infield at the big track.
I am going to be camping also, Riding a silver 06AE with SC plates (of course it's silver, all the AEs are silver). What color is the bike and state for plates, I will try to find you. I will be there Sunday mid-day, for the whole week.

Ed

Where do you plan to camp?

I see you are registered for Eurekas Springs. AR has good riding and not much traffic.

Lots of snow here in Indiana, so I've taken the down time to do some upgrades and they're finally done! Yeah.........
Changed all fluids: oil and filter, coolant, installed Speed Bleeders and flushes brake fluid, final drive lube.

Upgraded the suspension: Sent forks off to GP Suspension and ordered a Penske shock, now all installed.

Did the Barbarian Mod.

Added T-Rex frame sliders, hope I never need them.

Installed a Fenda Extenda.

Lubed Steering head bearings, rear brake pivot, gear level pivot and hiem joints, pulled the swing arm and lubed all pivot points, did the U-joint lube.

Brodie's ignition relay will be here next week. New Michelon Powers and sparks plugs get installed after Bike Week.

I think I'm ready to go.........now if the snow would just get off the streets so I can try things out.

I am taking my bike to Daytona, go there and park bikes for a church who is raising money to rebuild. It is off of Earl Street, so if you need a place to park the bike while your walking down main street just ride down Earl street and for next to nothing we will watch the scoot for you. Free cookies too!

Have I forgotten anything?