Rear Shock - WIlbers Model 640

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRski_2007

Reaction score
I have 35K on my 2007 FJR.

I still have original rear shock. I'm not technical, but how long can the rear shock last? I dont have any leaks around it, so I would assume it's still good.

I called Ted at Beeber America and he can sell me a Wilbert Model 640. What is your opinion about the rear shock?

Also, do you know of any other places that sell Wilberts.

Even though the stock shock isn't leaking, the issue is the oil is breaking down and you're losing the dampening characteristics. As the oil continues to deteriorate, you'll eventually run out of rebound adjustment.

Wilbers builds a quality product. There have been forum group buys in the past and IIRC, folks were generally happy if the shock was sprung correctly.

--G

Is there an issue with having rear shock from Wilberts and front shock forks stock? I would love to get new fork Wilberts springs, but I'm being told that they are too long or something.

I got the fork springs along with a 640 in the original group buy. I like the improvements it made to the handling of the bike.

What year FJR do you own and how simple was it to install the front springs? Did you have to cut anything such as that rod?

I have an 03. I did the rear shock replacement (with remote preload adjuster). i took the bike to an independent shop and had them service the forks while swapping the springs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an issue with having rear shock from Wilberts and front shock forks stock? I would love to get new fork Wilberts springs, but I'm being told that they are too long or something.
You don't NEED to upgrade your forks if you get the shock, but the stock forks are not known to be all that great and with an upgrade on the shock, you will really WANT to also do a front fork upgrade. That being said, you don't need to go the Wilbers route. Way back, when I got my Wilbers back in 2004 or 2005 I also got the Wilbers springs. They were a definite improvement over stock, but since then I have tried a couple other front suspension upgrades that are superior. With Wilbers, it's just a spring upgrade. You also really want the valving upgraded too.

For front forks, I would go with one of the following:

- Cogent (find old group buy info and posts by Jeff Ashe)

- Racetech

- Traxxion Dynamics AK-20s

- GP Suspension

What do you think about HyperPro shocks and fork springs?

You don't NEED to upgrade your forks if you get the shock, but the stock forks are not known to be all that great and with an upgrade on the shock, you will really WANT to also do a front fork upgrade. That being said, you don't need to go the Wilbers route. Way back, when I got my Wilbers back in 2004 or 2005 I also got the Wilbers springs. They were a definite improvement over stock, but since then I have tried a couple other front suspension upgrades that are superior. With Wilbers, it's just a spring upgrade. You also really want the valving upgraded too.

For front forks, I would go with one of the following:

- Cogent (find old group buy info and posts by Jeff Ashe)

- Racetech

- Traxxion Dynamics AK-20s

- GP Suspension

What do you think about HyperPro shocks and fork springs?
Don't know much about them. I *think* they use a progressive rate spring, which *most* people seem to think is not a good idea. Go to Racetech's website. There is lots of good information there.

I have a Wilbers in the rear and completely stock front forks and I'm quite happy riding aggressively. I think the front forks on the FJR are pretty dang good for a stock setup.

I have a Wilbers in the rear and completely stock front forks and I'm quite happy riding aggressively. I think the front forks on the FJR are pretty dang good for a stock setup.
Ignorance is bliss. Don't ever try a custom set-up in your forks and you'll never know what you are missing. ;)

Just last week i changed my fork office and installed new bushings and seals with OEM springs. When I order the rear Wilbert shock should I also order wilbert fork springs? Or keep oem?

Ignorance is bliss. Don't ever try a custom set-up in your forks and you'll never know what you are missing. ;)
Damn right! They are just more stable than other oem forks I've been on and by far the biggest. I have specifically stayed away from any offers that may provide me the temptation to dump $600. Trying to save money!

Latest posts