Rear Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there...

I use the factory setup on my 2008....i ride most of the time on the soft setting and use the hard when the wife is on the back. I am around 185lbs and the wife is probably around 160lbs....

Most of us spent around $10K or more for a motorcycle and are wavering on spending about $1500 for an exponentially better suspension? Just check the threads with the testimonials from those of us who have done it. IMHO if you have more than 25K on a stock suspension I would save every penny of farkle money until I had enough to do the suspension. I can't speak for the Gen III suspension, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever dealt with EPM performance in New Jersey and a Hyperpro "Street Box" for an FJR? Also inquiring about the "hard/soft" lever on the OEM shock, and what role it actually plays, and is it really necessary, and do most actually use it during the life of the OEM shock?Looking for an aftermarket suspension, but have to stick to the budget>
I guess what my question actually is, do I actually need the remote reservoir on an aftermarket rear suspension, or is it a convenience item? I know that it allows a bit more adjustment, but again, is it totally necessary, if I go with an Ohlins, Wilburs, Hyperpro, etc?

I guess what my question actually is, do I actually need the remote reservoir on an aftermarket rear suspension, or is it a convenience item? I know that it allows a bit more adjustment, but again, is it totally necessary, if I go with an Ohlins, Wilburs, Hyperpro, etc?
Typically what you get with the remote reservoir is increased fluid capacity which means cooler fluid temps which means more consistent damping and you might notice a difference with a lot of weight on crappy roads. You'll also get compression damping adjustment. And bling; the reservoir is easier to see ;-)

These are all incremental upgrades from the more significant improvements of the correct spring rate, vastly improved rebound, and less stiction. Likewise, the incremental cost of have the remote reservoir is usually pretty low (maybe 20% more than a more basic shock, if one is available).

At least that has been my experience on FJR+SV w/ Ohlins+RR, and VFR w/Penske-RR. In all cases the Ohlins and Penske, with or without RR, are far better than the original (even when new).

Well finally stopped beating my head against the wall and dropped the green on some new suspension, picked up Hyperpro 460 Emulsion progressive rear shock with a hydraulic preload adjuster, progressive front springs with appropriate oil, shipped for just a smidgen over $1k. Weighed the pros and cons on re-springing the OEM, which I would have had to replace some innards, and bam I'm only $300-400 shy of the brand new suspension, which will be set up for my weight and riding style.

Thanks to all for the input, especially Intech and Canadian FJR.

I've had Hyperpro progressive fork springs and a 3D rear unit fitted today at the FJ Owners Club workshop near Bristol in the UK.

My bike is a 2004 (non ABS) model with just over 27,000 miles on the clock.

The bike was serviced by the workshop just over a year ago at just over 24,000 miles at which time they tweaked the rebound and damping settings making the bike quite firm.

The bike still feels firm but the ride is a little more pliant but more importantly it now turns quickly and holds the chosen line when cornering. It inspires more confidence.

The chaps at the workshop tell me that the rear spring raises the rear slightly and I guess that's what's improved the steering.

I have Pirelli Angel GT's fitted and I'm currently running 37psi front, 38psi rear. This gives me good feel and the bike feels stable. At higher pressures the bike feels skittish unless I've got a pillion on.

The springs weren't cheap but I hope they've given the bike a new lease of life.

On a different note, the workshop is just over 150 miles from my home riding mostly motorways. Apart from some speed camera controlled stretches of roadworks (50mph) I was travelling at between 70 - 90 mph. I refuelled just before reaching the workshop and the economy was 60 miles per UK gallon on 99 ron.