rear wheel differences in wheel bearing location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmsantam

Reaction score
I am based in Australia, and have a 2001 model FJR. Had it for a few years, and it's been a great bike. A couple of months ago, a set of wheels became available locally very cheap from a 2003 model, and I bought them. My rear tyre is nearly worn, so I thought I would change to the new wheel, which has a good tyre on it. When I went to torque the axle nut, the other side of the axle pulled through too far... very strange. I tried my normal wheel, no problem.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the wheel bearings on the shaft drive side are further "in" the wheel.

my original wheel pic:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yckpzPdf6MWiZgCl2

new wheel pic:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TA2LIYqrX5Rs6TQB3

What is going on here? Is this something to do with ABS? is there some way I can use this wheel, with a spacer perhaps? My bike does not have ABS.

cheers,

Dan

I was thinking about your picture last night and your reference to the FJRTech article helped me remember a bit. The FJRTech picture is from a 2003 U.S. model which would be equivalent to you 2002 model...and likely the same design as the 2001. I believe they changed in the 2004 US/2003 World models to not need the spacer and it's not quite as deep. So, my best guess is that the bearing should be like the FJRTech picture, but not sure how tight they are in that collar. I'd make 100% sure the spacer is in place and/or go look up the part fiche on your bike and try and reference compared to it.

I do believe that the pic in the FJR tech is from a 2004 model.

My black rimmed 2003 has the bearing flush.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the key here is that we didn't get the first iteration, so you're really left figuring out what's different between what you had and what you bought, and coming up with a solution to fill the gap.. ha...

Now I think I remember! Pre 2004 North America hub had a sort of extra-thick or double-bearing setup. The rim itself (as long as it's not a non-ABS rim used in an ABS bike) should be compatible, but the bearing and spacer part might not be compatible. The OP likely could swap the hub assembly between the wheels.

Thanks very much for the replies. I know you guys didn't get the 2001, but it should be the same as your 2003. It makes sense that the fjrtech article was a 2004. The bearing on that is further in, and according to the fjr comparison matrix your 2004 is the same as Australian 2003. My new wheel is a 2003 Australian, and looks identical to the fjrtech article.

I did a lot more measuring of everything, and the wheel and hub itself is definitely identical. I then went through the parts diagram, and found only 2 (relevant) part numbers that were different.

parts diagram picture:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L0Jige291i4VvRO52

1. The bearing in the centre of the hub - item 6 in the picture

2. The bearing on the shaft side of the hub - item 10 in the picture

The spacer is identical. I will have a closer look at the wheels this evening (I am at work at the moment) - perhaps it is only an extra bearing on the shaft side, as Ignacio suggested.

My aim is to have a second wheelset on hand at all times, without the need to swap any other parts between wheels. It sounds like I will just need to purchase a rear wheel bearing set at this stage, as a worst case. In the best scenario, perhaps I can add a shaft side wheel bearing - the space available seems to be exactly the width of a wheel bearing, but I have not yet measured.

I also found some comments indicating a dual bearing setup on 2001 models here:

https://www.fjrowners.com/discus/messages/35/15173.html

Thanks for the comments so far. I think I'm getting somewhere.

I think a spacer - simple tube with aprox. ID and OD - would be fine. The only compression on the bearings should be against the races, so there's no risk of damaging them by torquing down the axle.

But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about those.. Everyone has one, just like as..oles..

I think a spacer - simple tube with aprox. ID and OD - would be fine. The only compression on the bearings should be against the races, so there's no risk of damaging them by torquing down the axle.
But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about those.. Everyone has one, just like as..oles..
where would the spacer go? on the outside of that shaft side bearing to take up the space? the OD would be the OD of the bearing, but how about the ID? if it's only the thickness of the outer bearing race, then maybe that would work, and it wouldn't hug the axle. but if i used another bearing instead, it would butt up against the outer race, and the inner race of the existing bearing, and still support the axle. I think that might be better - assuming the space to be filled is exactly the same as the bearing thickness. Can you see any downside to that approach?

I agree that the compression due to axle torque should be fine.

cheers

So i put in another 6204 bearing, and it was then identical to my other wheel! Installed it, and took it for a ride - no problems. I find it surprising that there are two 6204 bearings there... that's serious overkill for a motorcycle if you ask me. But im not complaining.

I wonder why they decided to remove that second bearing in later models.

I wonder why they decided to remove that second bearing in later models.
I think that's the case. And you confirming it's simply a second bearing helps a bit in ensuring the wheels themselves are compatible. Glad it worked out!