Removing Luggage reflectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cterry66

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to remove the side reflector from the luggage lid. I bought a used bag without the reflector so would like make my other bag match without riuning something in the process

Search on "hard bag reflector removal site:fjrforum.com" you will find methods for using heat on the inside of the bag to loosen the double sided tape that that holds on the reflector.

I would talk with Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports and order one for the missing side. He gives awesome prices to forum members.

If not they are just glued on will pry off.

cterry 66 I knocked one loose backing into my garage. I simply pulled on it and it came off. The 2nd one I used a rubber mallet and hit it a number of times on the outer part near the reflector until it loosened up. I was very tentative at first for fear of damaging the lid. I then pulled on it by hand until it finally came free. I then used a rag and WD 40 to remove the glue residue. After that I washed them with soapy water and gave them a good coat of wax. It was not that difficult.

I struck the reflector from the top side toward the rear as that provided the largest surface. I did not want to scuff the paint by hitting too close to the lid itself. I am sure other will have other ideas. Good luck and I think the saddlebags look great without the reflectors.

Heat it up with a hair dryer then use a large pair of pliers or channel locks to pull it off. Clean off remaining adhesive.

This should do it..

jackhammer.gif

:jester:

What a bunch of boneheads! This guy wants some advice not your smart ass comments.

Use a saws all.

PS - Use some heat. A blow torch may leave some discoloring and possible deformation. Try a heat gun (Not a shot gun, unless all else fails).

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
ACtually, I just laid mine in the sunshine for 1/2 hour on a Summer day. Then I took a rather large pair of channel lock pliers and gently began to rock and twist it. It loosened and finally came off.

If your bags are older, the paint spot where the reflector was will fade to match the rest of the cover. On the Liquid Silver and Cerulean bikes it took 1-6 months. On my blue bike I removed the side case stickers as soon as the bags came in (Yep, we had to wait for the side cases that were shipped separately in those days).

I used dental floss on mine. Worked great. Just get it behind the reflector and start going at it like a saw.

Latest posts