Removing/replacing fairing parts and pieces

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTParks

Reaction score
After my dumb-ass maneuver in my driveway I am awaiting the arrival of the fairing parts I need to replace. I started yesterday pulling off the damaged pieces and did the small left side adjustable "wing" panel by my knee, the left mirror (but not the mount) and then replaced the damaged left exhaust muffler with a Vance & Hines system. Everything was going pretty well until I started on the left cowl panel. I have removed every bolt, screw, fastener I can get to (both metal and plastic) but it seems that there are bolts/screws on the inside of the panel that I can't get to with my fat fingers. Is removing the fairing an all or nothing project? I have looked at the directions posted here for R&R of the entire front fairing but nothing that show how to remove a single piece. A little advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you're talking about the upper side piece, that's the last piece to come off, no way around it.

You remove the inner dash panels and the vents on the lowers, which apparently you've done. Then the lowers come off, and then the front comes off as an assembly. Disconnect the electrical connectors, then four bolts that look like all the do is hold the headlight assembly on, but with those bolts out, and the electricals disconnected, the whole nose comes off as an assembly and can be torn down easily once off the bike.

You CANNOT get that panel off without removing the nose as an assembly, or breaking something.

Last edited by a moderator: