Request for advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I buy the 2008 AE or 2010 A

• 2008 AE

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • 2010 A

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters

Amarak

Reaction score
I am newb to the FJR world but have read great things about them.

As I posted in my intro, I am a 22 year military guy (still full time) with arthritic knees and a replaced ACL. I love Yamaha and personally own a 2006 Wolverine 450, a 1992 Superjet 650, and a 1992 Waverunner III. I love the look of these bikes and see the majority if not totality of FJR riders love the bike even with knee probs.

I am going to get a bike Friday, but want to see between two that I can get which would be the best investment for my money.

For asking price of $9700, options are a 2008 AE with(copied from ad)

2008 model bought new summer of '09

7500 miles

Charcoal & silver

~$3K+ in options

Pre-paid tranferable 3 yr maintenence plan $1500 - next included service includes 2 new tires

Matching Yamaha factory side luggage boxes w/liners

Matching Yamaha factory trunk (not in top pictures)

Extended size windshield for touring and the smaller factory windshield

Handle bar risers and grip heaters

Throttlemeister Cruise Control

Custom aftermarket forward touring foot pegs

Custom seat backrest

Frame sliders

Dealer serviced to date

Or, a 2010 A stock for $12,4 (includes assembly, etc), but has scratch on one of the saddlebags.

Thanks in advance for anyone offering advice or even participating in the vote. I don't want to start a flaming war, but don't want to make a mistake on my choice. I know that the best advice comes from those with experience. Take care, all.

Should also add that I know that for the bike itself, the 2008AE is at the high end of the resale value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you ready to give up the clutch handle? I see you are considering both types of bikes.

BTW, I would look at a number of different dealers and get info on bikes from local FJR Forum members before considering a purchase. I WOULDN'T just consider the two bikes you mentioned in your post.

Are you ready to give up the clutch handle? I see you are considering both types of bikes.

BTW, I would look at a number of different dealers and get info on bikes from local FJR Forum members before considering a purchase. I WOULDN'T just consider the two bikes you mentioned in your post.
The clutch won't bother me too much, my Wolverine is an automatic. The A I am looking at is one of the least expensive new bikes around, but I could add a Y.E.S. warranty to. The AE has a service contract, but is a private sale. Not too many others for sale around, especially for as good of a deal. I have been looking around at others, and started this decision last month for this model of bike. What else would you suggest I look at? Thank you for your advice.

-Shawn

No major difference between the '08 & '10, the '08 already has add on's that you'll probably end up wanting on the '10. So if you like the clutchless shifting it looks like a no brainer to go with the '08.

You probably don't want to deal with picking up or shipping one from out of state, but just for an example of how good a deal you could get, there's an '06 AE for sale in the classified section here, with the top box and 16k milkes for $6500 and that is a really good price. (I don't know the seller, just relaying what I've seen here).

The Gen IIs are pretty much all the same with minor differences, if you check out the Bin 'O Facts page on this forum there is a a year by year model comparison that lists all changes. For me it came down to finding the cleanest, lowest mileage Gen II AE that I could, mileage being the primary concern as I will be putting a lot of miles on myself. I paid $7500 for an '06 AE with 2152 miles and the top box.

Happy hunting, you'll love the bike no matter which model or year you decide on
wink.gif

First - they would both be great bikes. Does either get your heart thumping more? That's the first question. What YOU want,

As a comparison, I bought an 08 A with many of the same accessories, minus the trunk and extended warranty, which does add value for sure especially the 2 tires, and almost the exact milage 2 months ago. I paid $7800. It's been my experience that AE's usually sell for less than a comparable A. (Limited market=harder to sell) Have you checked out CycleTrader? That's where I found mine. Got it in a neighboring state. There are deals out there, though maybe a few less with spring coming on. If you really want an AE, I bet you could find a really good deal on a new one. Good luck, you're gonna love any one that you end up with.

No major difference between the '08 & '10, the '08 already has add on's that you'll probably end up wanting on the '10. So if you like the clutchless shifting it looks like a no brainer to go with the '08.

You probably don't want to deal with picking up or shipping one from out of state, but just for an example of how good a deal you could get, there's an '06 AE for sale in the classified section here, with the top box and 16k milkes for $6500 and that is a really good price. (I don't know the seller, just relaying what I've seen here).

The Gen IIs are pretty much all the same with minor differences, if you check out the Bin 'O Facts page on this forum there is a a year by year model comparison that lists all changes. For me it came down to finding the cleanest, lowest mileage Gen II AE that I could, mileage being the primary concern as I will be putting a lot of miles on myself. I paid $7500 for an '06 AE with 2152 miles and the top box.

Happy hunting, you'll love the bike no matter which model or year you decide on
wink.gif
Thanks for the reply. I am torn as I don't care either way for the clutch (traffic could be nicer without it, tho), but the amount of stuff the AE comes with is what makes it appealing. I cannot justify taking any time off to travel too far for a motorcycle due to work, and cost the cost of travel itself.

I was looking through the Bin o' Facts first before posting the question here. I hate getting yelled at for the 'did you search before you asked' question. :)

Being a newer single dad who likes his toys, and for the fact I own a 12mpg truck, the thing about the bike is I will have to finance part of it. With the amount money I would spend on gas, let alone wear an tear on my only vehicle(the truck), I can get something to show with insurance and gas for the same amount alone I would spend on the gas for the truck. So monthly payments are a factor on what I buy, but only a small factor.

I will continue to look locally, but I am looking at overall initial cost cost of installing goodies and purchase, compared to reliability and warranty. With patience I am sure I could find a better price, but what might the sacrifice be for that? And for that, I came to you guys.

Take care, and I hope to see ya on the road sometime.

-Shawn

I wasn't sure I would like the AE either but after a few miles in town I love it.

All balls powershifting is pretty mushy but with some slight throttle work mine will shift as fast as or faster than I can.

Just remember that if you are a stoplight "revver" it don't work well on this thing :eek:

I'll agree with a lot of what's been said, but encourage you to give more thought to broadening your search. There are deals on used FJRs all over, here and in places like Craigslist. What I believe is a good deal on a used '06 in the Seattle area, for example, can be found here. These bikes have a very good lifespan when well maintained, and a used one will give you all the thrills you'd get right off the showroom floor.

You really can't go wrong with any FJR you find. I'd be looking at price and what's been put on it that you think you'd end up wanting anyway.

Ghaa!!! Stay way from GenII's Your balls will fall off.
Well if you grab the brakes on a GenII abs hard enough they will be smashed against the tank :sick:

And when you whack the throttle they will be drug back across the textured :cray: seat at high speed

So yea. They probably would fall off after that. :bye2:

Course we are plagued with spiders :scare2: :trinibob:

IMHO the A vs AE is something to strongly consider. I for one love my '08 A and using the clutch. I just feel more in control. Just like my 09 Jeep Unlimited. I actually had to search for one with a six speed manual go figure.

I would imagine the "experience" of piloting an A vs an AE would be different. I think the AE was a great idea and many seem to like it but it would not have been my first choice.

I would suggest you attempt to ride both and decide. You may love the AE experience best and the novelty of not having a clutch to mess with. You will never know until you give it a shot. It is hard for someone else to give you an answer on what you will like best we only know what we like best. While the Farkles are appealing, I would find clutch vs no clutch a bigger deciding point.

Just my $0.02. You can keep the change.

Ghaa!!! Stay way from GenII's Your balls will fall off.
Well if you grab the brakes on a GenII abs hard enough they will be smashed against the tank :sick:

And when you whack the throttle they will be drug back across the textured :cray: seat at high speed

So yea. They probably would fall off after that. :bye2:

Course we are plagued with spiders :scare2: :trinibob:

But...On the superior Gen I's you only need a handfull of throttle to bring the front up and slam yer boys into the tank..

No need for front brakes to move ya. :lol: BTDT.

Amarak,

I have an '07AE that I love. That being said, if you really like the '08AE make an offer well below the asking. The claim of $3000 in options is doubtful to me. The maintenance and tire thing is questionable at best. If you can do your own maintenance, you can do it for a lot less than $3K, even including a set of tires. The problem is that it's a maintenenance agreement and not an extended warranty from Yamaha that you can purchase for a new bike from D&H in Cullman, Alabama for $389. There is a wealth of info here on the Forum to help you maintain and save a great deal, and farkle yourself into poverty.

The AE is a lot more challenging in low speed maneuverability. You don't have the "friction zone" of a manual clutch, nor the ability to disengage the clutch when you want to. Be aware that the Throttlemeister is a throttle lock, and not a cruise control. And if that throttle lock is engaged you really need to be very cautious on an AE, because you can't pull the clutch to disengage the engine. Don't ask me how I know.

Bob

Amarak,

I have an '07AE that I love. That being said, if you really like the '08AE make an offer well below the asking. The claim of $3000 in options is doubtful to me. The maintenance and tire thing is questionable at best. If you can do your own maintenance, you can do it for a lot less than $3K, even including a set of tires. The problem is that it's a maintenenance agreement and not an extended warranty from Yamaha that you can purchase for a new bike from D&H in Cullman, Alabama for $389. There is a wealth of info here on the Forum to help you maintain and save a great deal, and farkle yourself into poverty.

The AE is a lot more challenging in low speed maneuverability. You don't have the "friction zone" of a manual clutch, nor the ability to disengage the clutch when you want to. Be aware that the Throttlemeister is a throttle lock, and not a cruise control. And if that throttle lock is engaged you really need to be very cautious on an AE, because you can't pull the clutch to disengage the engine. Don't ask me how I know.

Bob
Bob, you summed up almost all of my concerns in a posting. I was worried initially that the AE was 'different' to drive, and that the corners were going to be challenging. I was also concerned with buying used compared to new as for the warranty. The warranty is more appealing for 5 years of coverage as I can do the maintenance myself (did I mention I own Yamaha motors already ? ;) )

The AE is cool with all of the addons, but I need something that I can depend on to be covered down the road. I would hate to get a used bike and then find out 6 months later that the warranty is gone, and it took the electronic clutch with it.

Thank you for the post. What would you think, collectively, this bike to be worth. I came to this forum with the understanding that you all have the experience. I am just looking to absorb all that I can to make an informed decision.

I have a '06 AE and absolutely love it. My first choice was a '04 A with ABS, but I could not find a good deal on one at the time (most I looked at where badly trashed), and I have not looked back after getting the AE instead. Like the 08 you are looking at my bike came with a lot of very nice farkles and multiple windshields. And I got used to the flick shift in a hurry - I can honestly say that I can shift faster with it now then I can with a standard clutch, except of course for shifting without pulling the clutch on a standard bike - which nobody should do as a long term solution anyways.

I am not looking too much out there at what's for sale, but I think the 08 might be just a little on the high side - I would offer 8k on it and see what he says.

When searching the forum you can see some issues that AEs specifically can have. There are some basic errors that can come up and keep you from starting or shifting. The actual clutch and gearbox are exactly the same between the two bikes, with the neutral being below the first on the AE and between first and second on the A. The AE has a little hydraulic piston that actuates that clutch. Add a couple of extra sensors to that and you have the gist of the mechanical differences.

All that being said, there are tons of AE riders here that you don't ever hear much from in terms of bike problems, since they just ride their bikes without having any...

In general FJRs really only have two one major issues that need to be addressed sooner or later, and that's the valve ticker on early GenI bikes, which is quite rare these days, and the GenII (2006-2011) ground spider issue. There is a relatively cheap replacement harness from Brodie one can get and it's quickly taken care off. Otherwise all FJRs are quite bullet proof.

Another 2 cents - maybe it starts adding up for you.

Amarak,

Unless you have a need for the AE(left hand or foot problem, arthritis, injury, etc.), or a significant curiosity for something unique you may want to avoid it. It was a bust for Yamaha because they have stopped making them. The resale value may a problem based on dealers having them for extended periods. Finding a buyer for an A is less challenging, new or used. Buying new gives you the opportunity to purchase Y.E.S. and caring for the bike from day 1. You then perform the maintenance and farkle away to your hearts content, or at least the content of your wallet.

Having promoted the new bike, be patient, you may find a deal on a used FJR that meets most of the issues. I was very fortunate to find the '07 AE with less than 200 miles and a Givi trunk, frame sliders and the 4 year Y.E.S. warranty. The PO had arthritic hands and hoped the AE was a solution. His Dr. didn't agree, so he sold at a substantial loss. It was enough of a buy to make it worthwhile to have it shipped from the Richmond, VA area to Florida.

Good luck with your search, it will be worth the effort.

Bob