Reset Suspension, Oh Yea!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrboomer

Reaction score
My 07A will be 2 years old on Dec 4th. I had read HaulinAshes thread a long time ago and considered making the changes but just never got around to it. Well today I did it but modified it some as I am 175 ATGATT and I am a sport TOURING rider living in central OK which is basically flat and straight for the most part.

My settings are front: preload 2, rebound 8 and compression 10. The rear is rebound 8 and I left the preload soft. After about a 60 mile ride over roads that included 3 double 90 degree curves, a washboarded road and a few sweepers and 20 miles of interstate I get the feeling that the bike is much more planted than before. This was especially true on the washboarded surface which was the area I expected the harshest result in the test ride. I will leave it at the settings for a while to be certain but my inclination is to set it closer to HaulinAshes settings in the future. Even with my current settings it is so much better.

If there are others like me who are technically and mechanically challenged that have been thinking they would like to adjust their suspension then my advice is go for it. If I can do it, anyone shuold be able to get it done. It took me maybe 10 minutes but that was only because I read the manual twice before acting. It is so simple!

...I am 175 ATGATT ...
Not the typical FJR rider from what I've seen. ;)
Hence the front compression set to 10. Makes perfect sense.

I'm willing to bet he'll wind up with front compression at 8-clicks eventually, but not until the new suspension settings become familiar and he starts pushing the bike really hard.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
...I am 175 ATGATT ...
Not the typical FJR rider from what I've seen. ;)
Hence the front compression set to 10. Makes perfect sense.

I'm willing to bet he'll wind up with front compression at 8-clicks eventually, but not until the new suspension settings become familiar and he starts pushing the bike really hard.

:)
HaulinAshe you are probably right on going to 8 clicks. But like I said I will give it some more time before making any more adjustments. It is certainly greatly improved. Thanks for having an old post that still makes sense. Oh, and I am sure you could get a lot out of a Goldwing as far as performance. You would just make a lot of sparks in the twisties. :yahoo: