Review of 06 Power Commander PCIII

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I finally heard back from cyclemart usa that they haven't even shipped my pciii yet! I guess that's what you get when you are cheap. $266.96 OTD, but it's been over 11 days and no PCIII.
Sportbikeeffect.com gives a 10% discount to forum members (about the same price as your OTD) and has the PCIII. So you could cancel your order and get it ASAP from SBE. No financial interest in the co. just supporting a fellow forum member/FJR rider.
Not exactly...I happen to live in California which is where SBE is located.

Applicable Discounts: FJR Owners Forum

Total Goods: $305.00

Shipping: $9.37

Total Discounts: $30.50

Sub Total: $283.87

State Tax: $20.58

Grand Total: $304.45

Did i mention I'm a cheap [email protected]?
I guess so. It would seem the difference is primarily the state sales tax you'd have to pay. That, and you'd not be supporting annoying pop up ads (that somehow got past my popup blocker) for stuff totally unrelated to the PCIII. I really dislike companies/sites that do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, if it's because the throttle pulley is oval, not round, and Fred's shim method smooths out the transition between small and large throttle openings, I can see the logic of using the shim, up to the point of putting, as Warchild puts it, FOD in my throttle area.
It is and it does. However, even though there's no need to start up the religious war again I will say that I too have spent some significant portion of my adult life fearing and fighting FOD but I was (and am) very comfortable with my Fred Shim. The wire is NOT coming out of that pulley without a prolonged battle with some needle nose pliers.

Those that have not tried the shim are of course free to continue to bash the idea. However, it makes a pronounced positive impact on the way my '06 works for me. That plus having the throttle cables properly adjusted and the spring one loop unwound has produced a very smooth and linear throttle response that I'm very pleased with.
+1 BMWHD,

I"d like to hear from someone who's gone from the shim to the PCIII before making any decisions. That shim aint comin out there by itself (thats for damn sure). Shim makes a huge difference. Would i like it to be better?.......Yes........Will the PCIII make it better........Unknown

anyone gone from the shim to the PCIII?

GreyGoose

However, if it's because the throttle pulley is oval, not round, and Fred's shim method smooths out the transition between small and large throttle openings, I can see the logic of using the shim, up to the point of putting, as Warchild puts it, FOD in my throttle area.
It is and it does. However, even though there's no need to start up the religious war again I will say that I too have spent some significant portion of my adult life fearing and fighting FOD but I was (and am) very comfortable with my Fred Shim. The wire is NOT coming out of that pulley without a prolonged battle with some needle nose pliers.

Those that have not tried the shim are of course free to continue to bash the idea. However, it makes a pronounced positive impact on the way my '06 works for me. That plus having the throttle cables properly adjusted and the spring one loop unwound has produced a very smooth and linear throttle response that I'm very pleased with.
+1 BMWHD,

I"d like to hear from someone who's gone from the shim to the PCIII before making any decisions. That shim aint comin out there by itself (thats for damn sure). Shim makes a huge difference. Would i like it to be better?.......Yes........Will the PCIII make it better........Unknown

anyone gone from the shim to the PCIII?

GreyGoose
If people are happy wuth the shim why get pc111 ??

I was just informed today that the PCIII for the '06 FJR is on backorder with no immediate ETA. I wonder if this means huge supply or there's a problem and they're fixing something...?

If people are happy wuth the shim why get pc111 ??

Because it's two different problems.

1 - the FI map has a flat spot in it (or there are other issues in the FI stuff because of poorly selected TPS or MAP sensor, etc.)

2 - messing with the throttle linkage assembly (shim, pulley, et al) ONLY changes the rate of throttle blade opening - it does NOT address the inherent problem with the mapping. It might mask it, but won't fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camera, Has it affected your mileage? I'm seriously considering a PCIII for my AE. Thanks!

Sorry, been off a few days. If it has, it's improved it. I can say this for sure, it hasn't hurt it in any way that I can see.