Review of new accessories- French trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyfjr

Reaction score
Having spent a thoroughly enjoyable week touring round France, stopping in Bordeaux, Carcassonne and crossing the Masif Central. The new items to my bike have been put through a good test. The Russell leather heavy duty seat was worth every penny, making each day completely comfortable and arse pain free :) . I decided to purchase the saddle after last years 780mile day run down to Barcelona from northern France which was a very sore experience. I would highly recommend the Russell seat to anybody who plans on traveling several hundred miles a day.

Scala G4

This worked very well with both my Zumo 660 and the other headset. It has worked over long range, I would say at least half a mile between each rider. The clarity of the speech is incredible at 90+ speeds with its noise cancelling circuitry. They are fully weather proof having been drenched one morning. The charge lasted all day with no problems. On odd occasion I would lose connection, but simply switching off the headset and back on would restore all connections- this only happened a couple of times and I think its more a problem with the garmin software, whilst scrolling through menus.

Enjoy. Andy

I have the leather Russell and Sena as well. I've had some pairing issues with the Sena and other glitches but its a very good performer overall. Agree completely regarding the Russell. Were you riding 2-up? Did your seat get wet?

Glad things are working out for you Andy. No experience with the Scala but I do have a Russell seat which I absolutely love. Best farkle on my bike for sure!

I ride solo, but did order the dual seat, mainly for looks. My seat did get rained on, but it held up perfectly, maybe because I had applied a leather conditioner and waterproof (nikwax), I also bought the rain cover for the nights. It bedded in nicely over the course of the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from france/paris last night after a week there. It was really cool to see all the FJR's and motorcycles that you don't see here in the states.

Re "90+ speeds," I'm wondering 90 what? Miles? KPH?

Reason I ask is I'm curious about the speed limits on the continent and about enforcement. Sounds like a great adventure.

90 mph, national speed limit on motorways is 80mph(130kph). As long as you don't take the mick and do continuous silly speeds then enforcement is relaxed.

However the French government from this September will be introducing a new law which bans passive speed camera location warning. IE. No sat nav with speed camera locations installed. Also all riders must wear a high viz. jacket. There are objectors but the government seems determined to push it through. No doubt that other draconian laws will follow.

Germany next trip :) unlimited speeds limits on large sections of motorway, so large distances can be covered in day.

Latest posts