Ride without windscreen?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross, you said exactly what I was thinking. What you wrote was much more diplomatic than what I was going to write. I started thinking, "Jeeze, this guy didn't edit this video at all?" Then I saw the logo and realized who it was. That's when I turned it off.

My recommendation: Don't ride without a windscreen for too long. It will begin to suck; although, I have seen some that are seriously cut down.

Here's my screen that I trimmed down. I like how this one feels. I've been riding sportbikes my entire riding career, so I just can't get used to the large windscreens that are on the sport touring bikes. However, I love the combination of comfort and speed that my FJR gives me.

https://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah64/Scott_Wittler/image_zpszvgpczxe.jpeg

https://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah64/Scott_Wittler/image_zpskabxntli.jpeg

Here's an FJR I saw on Facebook from a buy who has 200,000 miles on it...and no windscreen,

https://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah64/Scott_Wittler/image_zpswow89rar.jpeg

Well, you know we always say YMMV.

I like the fly screen that you've made. It would be nice in a northern summer I think. Or for "cruisin' ".

Not sure how much good it would be in a flock of bugs though.

In recent years, a couple of times a year I get whacked in the helmet by something that made it by the screen.

I wonder if I didn't have the screen if this would occur even more frequently. Sometimes it's quite startling.

Seriously? 37 minutes to tell us that riding without a windscreen is more turbulent than riding with one. $1K to drop your bike while making a U-turn? And you posted the whole thing on YouTube?
Damn we live in interesting times.
I couldn't bring myself to watch the video. The video is symptomatic of what's wrong with the modern world. There are no editors any more.
And that was just one part of a multi-part series! Same author had done a number of FJR "maintenance" videos that are similar in terms of content/time ratio. As exciting as watching oil-based paint dry on a cool damp day.
As I recall, he got rather defensive too when the reviews started coming in. If you're really bored, it might be amusing to revisit some of those exchanges.
Hmm, I've found his videos to be entertaining and helpful. To each his own, I guess. Also, I thought I'd seen him on this forum?

Seriously? 37 minutes to tell us that riding without a windscreen is more turbulent than riding with one. $1K to drop your bike while making a U-turn? And you posted the whole thing on YouTube?
Damn we live in interesting times.
I couldn't bring myself to watch the video. The video is symptomatic of what's wrong with the modern world. There are no editors any more.
And that was just one part of a multi-part series! Same author had done a number of FJR "maintenance" videos that are similar in terms of content/time ratio. As exciting as watching oil-based paint dry on a cool damp day.
As I recall, he got rather defensive too when the reviews started coming in. If you're really bored, it might be amusing to revisit some of those exchanges.
Hmm, I've found his videos to be entertaining and helpful. To each his own, I guess. Also, I thought I'd seen him on this forum?
Oh yeah, he was on the forum at one point.

--G

If there is one thing that we should all be able to agree on unanimously, it's that there will never be anything approaching a consensus on windshields; which ones are good, better, best, or even needed at all. It's too subjective and dependent on the rider. I think we'd have a better chance of agreeing on tires or oil than windshields.

But for the record, I find the Yamaha Touring shield is great, especially with some tuning spacers installed, for all but the coldest weather (like now) in which case it needs to be a bit taller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still here :) Plenty of people benefit from and like my vids just fine - but I'm not for everyone ;) Don't need or want to be either...carry on :)

When riding the other other day I stood up and literally all the wind noise went away. I wonder if no shield could have the same effect.

Running with no (or lowering the) shield does result in far less turbulence and head buffeting. It's one reason I really like my windshield tuning mod. I can lower the shield enough that it is like it's not even there.

Try it if you haven't already. It's cheap and actually works.

Lots of ways to skin the windshield cat.

Since it got chilly recently, but the roads are still dry and rideable, I decided to make a home made "Lame-i-nar Lip" extension for my Yamaha Touring shield. Formed the curved windshield shape by heating a piece of lexan in the oven, but without the reverse "flip" which (in my experience) generates turbulence. Used the Dual-Lock fasteners to attach it just like the real LL's. Works pretty good and can be removed quickly and fits into a side bag when not needed.

It ain't beautiful... but then again, neither am I.
no2.gif

014.jpg

My 2014 came with no shield. Just a small piece of plastic that didn't block much of anything. :)

When riding the other other day I stood up and literally all the wind noise went away. I wonder if no shield could have the same effect.
Did you try it at 65-70mph???
Riding 65-70 with no (or a very low) windshield is no big problem. The problem is riding that speed on the highway with a bunch of other air turbulence generating traffic, especially the big tractor trailer rigs that generate tons of truck wash for you to have to punch through. Later in the day, after the air has been churned into a chaotic frenzy, is the worst.

If you don't often travel on the interstate slab, life with a small windshield can be pretty livable. Just lean into the wind and enjoy.

interesting how some people nearly take violent offense to this idea.

Try it. then you'll know.

Like Mad German, i was a sportbike and HD guy (30 years riding)

I cut down a factory screen similar to his (actually a bit shorter IIRC) for summer cruising.

I love it.

the ride experience is very different and there are positive and negatives.

Much more airflow if you wear a mesh or vented jacket. it's lovely in the summer

much greater feeling of really being "out there" It's the feeling that i started riding for, and had forgotten. it's amazing and i really can't describe it.

MUCH LESS turbulence. My helmet is now in a smooth flowing stream of air and even at high speed, it remains remarkably smooth.

much less protection. from cold, rain and airborne objects. (it takes 5 minutes to swap to my winter shield)

I love it. and THANK GOD THIS IS AMERICA and we are all free to try whatever we want and discuss it here.

keep us posted.

You're exactly right, someguy. I like the feeling of the wind, hearing the motor, etc. If I want to ride in a bubble, I'll drive my car. That being said, to each his or her own. I like learning what works/doesn't work, etc. from guys and girls who've got more experience than me. I've been on two wheels for nearly 30 years, but there's still lots to learn.

Quick sidebar; I'd encourage all FJR (and sport touring bike riders) to get out on the track. You'd be amazed at what your bike can do. Not just in terms of acceleration, but handling as well. The experiences you gain on the track can definitely help you survive on the streets. I firmly believe that my strong track background (albeit with sportbikes) has kept me accident free for nearly 30 years.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming.
smile.png

Latest posts