Ride without windscreen?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It won't die for the same reason that most banal threads won't die.

It's DECEMBER!........and most of us, especially those in the MidWest and NorthEast, are bored shitless.

It won't die for the same reason that most banal threads won't die.
It's DECEMBER!........and most of us, especially those in the MidWest and NorthEast, are bored shitless.
…and we riders in south Florida are starting to think "Maybe I should put my larger screen on the bike"
punk.gif

Its dropping down to the 60's at night.
cold.gif

jester.gif
Why don't you post it in classifieds with a picture. Some wannabe squid is sure to buy it.

When riding the other other day I stood up and literally all the wind noise went away. I wonder if no shield could have the same effect.
Oh good, I'm not the only one who has noticed that the stock Gen III screen is noisy no matter where you adjust it and the Touring screen is no better unless fully raised. Everyone else I've surveyed thinks I'm crazy.

I took mine for a spin with no shield a couple months back. It's quiet and the wind isn't a problem until 65-70MPH or so. Then you gotta hang on 'cause all the airflow is hitting hard in the upper chest and shoulders.

When the riding season finally decides to end I'm going to have the folks at Parabellum whip me up a couple screens and maybe play with the angles. They did the screens for my wife's Spyder and those have worked out pretty well.

The stock shield is a joke. The touring is great. The problem with running no shield or a joke shield is that, unless you're laying down like a 16 year old or a racer, the wind is excessive and fatiguing at high speed. Then, at low speeds, you're laying down with no wind to support you, putting much weight on your wrists and hands. Using the wind for support simply doesn't work for all around use. It only works at a given angle at a given speed. For comfortable long distance riding, the high pressure wind route isn't a great plan A. But I agree, turbulence and buffeting are fatiguing in their own right. I've given up on finding the still pocket of air from my last bike, but I have gotten close with heli's and a Cee Bailey. I am just thankful to have some coverage from the weather. Everything with shields is subjective. If I rode short distances in hot weather, to the mall and back, I would probably be fine with the stock bike. But for high mileage, it needs some adjusting. Easily done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmm...I rode with the OEM windscreen for almost 60,000 miles and didn't really have a problem with it. I went to a CeeBaileys tinted reverse flip shield that a little taller. Not sure I like the new shield any more than the OEM shield.

Jesus, if some of you are so bothered by wind, why did you buy a motorcycle? I never get these discussions. All the whining and crying about wind. That's like installing a pool and then bitching because you get wet. They make these contraptions called cars that have very minimal wind intrusion. Sell your bike, get a car and stop bitching. You guys sound like the jackass at Starbucks crying because his latte doesn't have enough foam.

Simply because there are sport touring motorcycles sold that do a better job of managing it than the FJR.... And there are few, at least in the sport touring field, that do it worse. Pretending that the bike is perfect from the factory is laughable. I'm glad it is for some. But for many if not most of us, helibars/MV and a proper shield do the trick. I ride what I choose. And I address issues the bike poses for my size and riding, usually based upon the experiences and recommendations of folks here who encountered similar issues and addressed them long ago. And Starbucks espresso is excellent, as is all espresso. Were you waiting on espresso when the "jackass" in front of you in line was complaining about his foam deficiency?.... :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Simply because there are sport touring motorcycles sold that do a better job of managing it than the FJR.... And there are few, at least in the sport touring field, that do it worse. Pretending that the bike is perfect from the factory is laughable. I'm glad it is for some. But for many if not most of us, helibars/MV and a proper shield do the trick. I ride what I choose. And I address issues the bike poses for my size and riding, usually based upon the experiences and recommendations of folks here who encountered similar issues and addressed them long ago. And Starbucks espresso is excellent, as is all espresso. Were you waiting on espresso when the "jackass" in front of you in line was complaining about his foam deficiency?.... :rofl:
NO...I was waiting on a double soy cinnamon upside down vanilla poofa poofa drink, with sprinkles. That mean latte guy ruined it for me! :no:

Latest posts