Rider/Pillion Peg Lowering Brackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
I have MCL front and rear. Who is running lowering brackets vs. stock peg location, with what inseam? Interested in prevalence of use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran the MCL pillion brackets on my '08. she occasionally has knee issues, put them on as a pre-emptive strike immediately after bike purchase. They took the trip to the scrapyard.

Have asked my passenger (SWMBO) several times whether she missed/misses them-so far the answer is no.

I'm too worried about losing ground clearance with the rider peg extenders. Even with my Penske ride height cranked up, I have scraped the pegs a couple of times.

I have the MCL pillion peg extenders at home but they don't work with the V&H exhaust without grinding and I've been too lazy to do it.

Shit, I scrape my (lowered) feelers regularly. Once they're about half ground off and beveled nicely, no worries. They're the early warning system. Startling at first before they're beveled, as in when I first put the lowering brackets on. Now I know ahead of time by speed and angle if I'll get some grindage. My wife may be a bit more comfortable with the brackets, but it makes it harder for her to get on/off the bike for some reason.

I purchased the MCL passenger lowers for my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago. She has not tried them yet as I am just now getting over the flu with sinusitis and pink eye. Strength and balance not up to riding yet. She was complaining about her legs being cramped up.

My wife has one knee that gives her trouble with the standard footpegs. I was thinking of lowering hers, but a wise FJRForum buddy (yeah you, Tom Cale, who never goes anywhere) suggested that I first just try the "knifemaker footboards", without the peg extenders.

Worked like a charm...no peg extenders needed.

My wife has one knee that gives her trouble with the standard footpegs. I was thinking of lowering hers, but a wise FJRForum buddy (yeah you, Tom Cale, who never goes anywhere) suggested that I first just try the "knifemaker footboards", without the peg extenders.
Worked like a charm...no peg extenders needed.
As my kids grew taller, the stock passenger pegs wouldn't cut it, so I installed Knifemaker's floorboards along with the passenger peg lowering brackets. The kids liked that much better.

I'm too worried about losing ground clearance with the rider peg extenders. Even with my Penske ride height cranked up, I have scraped the pegs a couple of times.
I have the MCL pillion peg extenders at home but they don't work with the V&H exhaust without grinding and I've been too lazy to do it.
^THIS^

I tried the MCL driver peg lowering kit, and even w/ the feelers removed, even w/ the peg weights removed, (Fer and extra .25") a Wilbers sprung fer my weight, and custom Soopey's raising links, (Dun raised the rear over 3.5") I still had ground clearance issues, so I took 'em off 'n put 'em on the FZ6 dirt bike. Haven't had the ground clearance issues on that.

About the only thing that bothers Spanky is her knees. The floorboards improved that. I put the lowering kit on and they lasted about an hour. I took them of in an IHop parking lot and we continued our trip.

Yeah, I haven't heard good things about the MCL driver peg lowering kit wrt ground clearance. But I never had any issue with their passenger peg lowering kit. YMMV...

I thought I'd take them (rider brackets) right back off. So much so that I carried tools on the bike to remove them. A year later and all sorts of riding and I still have them on. The passenger brackets put the wife's feet everywhere I need to be for walking the bike in a parking lot or garage. Better because they're lower, but worse because it's harder for her to get on and off, and the outward splay kind of negates the comfort benefit of lowering. I think I'm going to fall back to knifemaker's boards. I enjoy the rider brackets so much, I guess I'm surprised they're not in wider use.

I thought I'd take them (rider brackets) right back off. So much so that I carried tools on the bike to remove them. A year later and all sorts of riding and I still have them on. The passenger brackets put the wife's feet everywhere I need to be for walking the bike in a parking lot or garage. Better because they're lower, but worse because it's harder for her to get on and off, and the outward splay kind of negates the comfort benefit of lowering. I think I'm going to fall back to knifemaker's boards. I enjoy the rider brackets so much, I guess I'm surprised they're not in wider use.
There is no interference with the floorboards on the stock pegs. I had the boards on the lowered position too. They were definitely within my foot movement range then. Not enough to bother me, so the decision to remove them was entirely up to Spanky. I will add that part her discomfort was due to the RDL seat wings. Along with the knee thing, the wings bothered the back of her thigh. In the normal riding position you can't feel the wings.

I have to tinker. I've been so many thousands of miles with the rider lowering brackets,I'm going to have to go back to stock for a bit just out of curiosity. Prob put the brackets back on the next day. The knife maker floor boards for the passenger sound like a no brainer.

So does the floorboards negate the need for the lowering pegs for the pillion??

I put MCL lowering brackets on rider position and couldn't get them off fast enough after one ride!!

Have had lowering brackets on pillion since almost day one.