Riding in or around lightning:

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
This is long winded but thought it might help someone caught in this situation as I was. Tonight I was watching a show on tv involving some storm-chasers and how crazy these guys are. Which brought to mind an incident that occured while riding Hwy. 50 solo to WFO-6 a few years ago. I was loaded up, (not me the bike), headed for Park City, Utah just a few miles west of Austin Nevada when I noticed a black wall in the distance which was a thunder cell common in the Nevada deserts during the summer time.

I had been watching these headers move around all day off in the distance and was lucky enough to be riding around these monsters until now. It was about 4:00 in the afternoon when I entered this storm. I actually had time to enter the storm, turn around, put on my rain-gear and ride back into it. Needless to say the temp gage on the FJR's dash dropped from 79 degrees down to 53 degrees within a couple of seconds. I knew this was not going to be pretty and that's when things went haywire.

At first it had started raining very lightly but then it was coming down so hard the air near the ground and road was now totally white. This caused the road surface to match the white desert floor which contrasted nicely against the black sky but that was of little significance at this point. It was now raining so hard the road surface was starting to disapear and with no side road markers or shoulder to pull off I had to guess where the road was and keep going. Annnnnnd, ball lightning was now popping in the air above me with bolts shooting horizontally out both sides from the ball. The air was so charged up I could smell that burnt electrical smell and thank God it wasn't me or the bike. All I did was slow down, lean on the tank and needless to say start praying.

Luckilly this only lasted about 10 minutes but really seemed like an hour. I just thought I would write this because you don't really see that much info on riding our bikes in the rain especially where lightning is involved. Looking back the smartest thing I could have done was just wait to see if the storm would move on, (which I pleanty of opportunity to do), without riding into it as I did but thinking back it was nearing sundown and my thought was strong on moving on to Eureka where I planned to spend the night. Not sure if this was the best thing to do though.

So, safety says don't ride into a storm if possible, especially if lightning is involved and if you do, get off the bike and move away at least 50 ft. from the bike and to crouch down lower than the bike. It really depends on the situation but this is suppose to be the proceedure if there is no shelter as in my situation in the desert. I'm sure this is old hat for our seasoned Iron-Butt riders but is something most riders don't come into contact with and when they do can be caught off guard. I just thought this might help someone from being caught in a difficult situation like this, even though there's not much one can do to reduce this danger. The biggest tip is "DON'T RIDE INTO A LIGHTNING STORM". Ride safe, Painman. <>< ;)

Link included: Safety tips for MC riding in a storm

Last edited by a moderator:
I treat thunder storms on my bike the same way I do in my aircraft or my boat...stay the hell out of them, 180 quick like and seek shelter. Aint no place to be caught in with no shelter, and the risks far outweigh the benefits of trudging on thru them. Rain is no problem, but lightning is a STOP sign not be ignored.

I can second that motion, I got caught in New Mexico in a Hail Storm.

Late afternoon, saw an unusual cloud formation off in the distance, took a couple of pictures of it.

Then realized it was RIGHT THERE.

Jammed the camera back in the tank bag, Hail Storm.... Almost a complete whiteout... Luckily the Semi in the right hand side of the pic kept going. Followed his wheel track through the slush, Our speed was down to 10 mph, crawling along.

Didn't dare stop in case someone coming behind would run over me.

015.jpg

A couple on a Goldwing was killed a few years back when they were struck directly by lightning. This was between Yellowstone Park and Livingston, MT. I always thought rubber tires were sufficient insulation to grounding. I guess not. At the summit of Beartooth Pass one June we were nearly struck as we were dismounted for pictures. Most got major static shocks in hair or feet a split second before the bolt struck about 100 feet away. Then it started to hail. It was all over in about 10 minutes and we made our way down to Red Lodge for a good Mexican dinner and way too much tequila.

Lesson: avoid electrical storms.

I've also wondered, is waiting out a torrent under an overpass a good idea? Is it relatively safe?

Back in my 20's before people realized that it was the auto frame that distributed the lightning charge to the ground and not the grounding from the rubber tires that kept people safe, I rode through some terrible storms on my XS ELEVEN. I rode US2 from the Mackinac Bridge to Escinaba...all of it in a black-as-sin lightning storm. I guess I got lucky.

Same thing happened in 2003, before I got my FJR, when I rented a Goldwing as I was hurrying to get back home from a trip to the Smokies. Temp drop on the from upper 70s down to the upper 40s as the down draft winds hit before entering the rain wall. Very interesting...and scary too. Scary and nervous before...wondering how bad it was going to be, not too bad once in it...except for the lightning.

I try to avoid the storms when I can...but sometimes it just happens that way. If I am out in the middle of nowhere and can't get to shelter, I guess I prefer to ride through it in ten minutes vs laying in the ditch for an hour waiting for the storm to pass. That's just me, that's how I roll the dice.

Someday it may come up snake eyes...but that's the risk I take.

It isn't the rubber tires that make cars safe in lightning, it's the steel cage. A Faraday cage, to be precise. A metal shell that keeps the electricity outside the interior.

You don't have that on the bike, you're out there amongst the rest of the free electrons.

smartass.gif
:nerdsmiley: If you don't wanna hear it, don't read it.

Both car and motorcycle tires are actually pretty good conductors due to the carbon content of the tires. It may be OK to get hit by lightning in a car because the metal body of the car makes a Faraday Cage which passes the electricity through the car body, through the tires and to ground. Since the passengers inside have no direct path to ground they are relatively safe. Michael Faraday (1830s) would stand inside a metal cage and had huge electrical bolts arc onto the cage then he would emerge unharmed when the power was turned off. Unfortunately, a motorcycle doesn't make a Faraday Cage, it is simply a large metal charge attractor sitting on two conductors -- kind of a large scale bug zapper.

Fortunately, I don't live in an area where lightning is a common problem.

Edit: I see wfooshee covered it while I was typing.

It isn't the rubber tires that make cars safe in lightning, it's the steel cage. A Faraday cage, to be precise. A metal shell that keeps the electricity outside the interior.
You don't have that on the bike, you're out there amongst the rest of the free electrons.
I agree.

I normally enjoy a lightning storm, but not when I'm on the bike. The closest call I ever had was on my way home from WFO last summer. I was riding north east from Denver towards Nebraska and choosing roads which were just outside the edge of a big storm. I was hoping to make Nebraska before dark, so I kept going, even when I started getting wet. As I rode past a tall grain silo I saw it get hit by lightning. It was about a quarter mile from me, and very tall, with lightning rods. The silo was not harmed, but I had seen enough. I found a place to stay the night as soon as I could. Nebraska had to wait until morning.

I'm curious what the IBR riders do when they encounter lightning. Do they wait it out somewhere safe, or take the risk? I know they ran through a lot of rain a couple years ago.

If I am out in the middle of nowhere and can't get to shelter, I guess I prefer to ride through it in ten minutes vs laying in the ditch for an hour waiting for the storm to pass. That's just me, that's how I roll the dice.
Someday it may come up snake eyes...but that's the risk I take.
+1

The more specific figures are based on 2001, the most recent year for which complete data are available. Other odds, indicated with an asterisk (*) are based on long-term data.

All figures below are for U.S. residents.

Cause of Death Lifetime Odds

Heart Disease 1-in-5

Cancer 1-in-7

Stroke 1-in-23

Accidental Injury 1-in-36

Motor Vehicle Accident* 1-in-100

Intentional Self-harm (suicide) 1-in-121

Falling Down 1-in-246

Assault by Firearm 1-in-325

Fire or Smoke 1-in-1,116

Natural Forces (heat, cold, storms, quakes, etc.) 1-in-3,357

Electrocution* 1-in-5,000

Drowning 1-in-8,942

Air Travel Accident* 1-in-20,000

Flood* (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-30,000

Legal Execution 1-in-58,618

Tornado* (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-60,000

Lightning Strike (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-83,930 Meh. :rolleyes:

Snake, Bee or other Venomous Bite or Sting* 1-in-100,000

Earthquake (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-131,890

Dog Attack 1-in-147,717

Asteroid Impact* 1-in-200,000**

Tsunami* 1-in-500,000

Fireworks Discharge 1-in-615,488

** Perhaps 1-in-500,000

SOURCES: National Center for Health Statistics, CDC; American Cancer Society; National Safety Council; International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies; World Health Organization; USGS; Clark Chapman, SwRI; David Morrison, NASA; Michael Paine, Planetary Society Australian Volunteers

While I view the data above as invalid, because the general population is usually not on a motorcycle headed into a thunderstorm, I stand by my previous statement that if I can't find shelter I will generally soldier on through it rather than lying in a ditch for an undetermined amount of time to avoid an unknown risk.

Please note that lightning strikes can and do occur many miles ahead of the main front under clear blue sky...so take that into account as well when you decide to take shelter.

EDIT: Please also note that midwestern storms I am talking about are the wide front large storms, not the smaller convection type storms that you might have in the desert or mountains. Those I would generally just wait out until they pass as they are usually smaller and can be avoided without too much delay.

I've left many multi day trips in the middle of a storm that spans several states. If I waited until they all passed, I could never leave.

I don't recall the details but a local guy was touring Canada and somewhere in the Northwest Territories while stopped at crossroads trying to figure out which way to go, he got zapped. Very rare occurrence that far north. Story goes he was on the side of the road incapacitated for several days before he was found. Last I heard he was still in the hospital after 5 months.

I've ridden through torrential downpours, hail, snow and even a swarm of bee's (which will scare the shit out of you!). But I always get the hell out of dodge when the electrons get moving.

I don't recall the details but a local guy was touring Canada and somewhere in the Northwest Territories while stopped at crossroads trying to figure out which way to go, he got zapped. Very rare occurrence that far north. Story goes he was on the side of the road incapacitated for several days before he was found. Last I heard he was still in the hospital after 5 months.
I've ridden through torrential downpours, hail, snow and even a swarm of bee's (which will scare the shit out of you!). But I always get the hell out of dodge when the electrons get moving.

So you don't lay in the ditch and wait for it to pass? :rolleyes:

So you don't lay in the ditch and wait for it to pass? :rolleyes:
Hell no, if my ass is gonna get tazed by Mother Nature.. I wanna go out in a streak of smoke 'n fire, not found stinking of bacon in the fetal position in a ditch.

"While I view the data above as invalid, because the general population is usually not on a motorcycle headed into a thunderstorm, I stand by my previous statement that if I can't find shelter I will generally soldier on through it rather than lying in a ditch for an undetermined amount of time to avoid an unknown risk."

I'm not arguing with ya, I'm an odds kinda guy and I'm not worried about being struck by lightening, I'm more likely to electrocute myself by just fucking around with electricity than I am by a bolt from the sky. ;)

The more specific figures are based on 2001, the most recent year for which complete data are available. Other odds, indicated with an asterisk (*) are based on long-term data.All figures below are for U.S. residents.

Cause of Death Lifetime Odds

Heart Disease 1-in-5

Cancer 1-in-7

************* Snip *************

The data is an aggregate and does not consider that the odds vary greatly for each of these items based on the individual, lifestyle, place of residence, risk taking behavior, and a bunch of other things.

For me, no, I don't lie down in a ditch and hide, and I do ride through a storm if that's the way I need to go, but I avoid lightning whenever possible and prefer to wait out the front of the storm in a safe place.