Riding in the heat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Building on what Sacramento Mike said, more airflow is not always your friend. When the ambient temps are higher than your body temp you want just enough airflow to let "evaporative cooling" do its job. Blowing more 115 degree air into your jacket is not going to help.

Again, different parts of the country have different issues. The heat and humidity balance will require changes to your plan.

One last suggestion: stop at the larger convenience stores and look for their walk-in beer coolers. The larger stores have these, and usually there's a stack of boxes that make a great seat. A five-minute beer cave visit will lower your core temp dramatically. Store staff is usually amused that you're chilling in their chiller.
Just don't come out drunk.
rolleyes.gif

The trip is leaving south ga and heading to montana. I think I will be ok once I get out there into the higher elevations. I have several cool max shirts i bought to wear.

The nether regions is what concerns me. I have the 1 pair of monkey butt shorts which are similiar to the ld ones.

My last long trip I had to wear boxers. Being in the saddle all day with boxer breifs made my skin really tender where the seams of the boxer met the legs. I had to stop along the way to get boxers. It was so miserable I couldnt touch the area it was so irritated. I thought the boxers and the cool max shorts would work but with no air flow it didnt. Maybe some beads will help. I bought a set once for a car and trimmed them down to fit the bike seat. It worked great. I trip to walmart may be in order....

What I'm taking to NAFO in Colorado next week, through the same heat you'll be experiencing, s.ga.rider:

Bottoms: running/jogging tights -- the lightest weight version, and ankle-length. The seam runs down my butt crack. Wicks like a pump. Also have slightly heavier version which is a little warmer in the cool weather, but almost the same temp in hot weather. (Freaking miracle fabric.)

Tops: techno-running short sleeve t-shirts, which come with every 5K run, or long sleeve cotton tees. I prefer the superior tees with FJR or Yamaha logos.

Chilly weather clothes: fleece bottom and top, and a finely aged Georgia Tech Baseball sweatshirt for really chilly mornings. Rain liners go in then, too.

I do not ride in street clothes on long-distance hauls, although I did for my first few LD rides.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you do NOT want is an undergarment with seams that are between your ass and the seat. Good riding undergarments have the seams running in non contact areas.

I just completed a 7400 mi ride through the south and up north. I started in Washington down to Cal over to New Orleans then up the Great River Road to the head waters of the Mississippi and back home. My gear was MotorPort armor with a Vapor shirt and an evap vest. I had lightweight sweatpants . I was always cool and never had any trouble with the heat. And it was HOT in AZ was 110 to a high of 121. Also I had a camelback that I froze each night so I had Cold water all day riding. I've done a lot of riding in the heat and this setup always keeps me cool and safe.

Have a great trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
After posting on this topic, I noodled around a bit and saw that Cycle Gear had their house brand (Bilt) on clearance. I picked up two L/S tops and two long bottoms for <$80. Tops run small, the guy at the counter warned me and we sized up accordingly. Once I got them home, verified that the fit was spot on. Took them out yesterday in 98 degree SoCal heat and they performed well. They're going to be worn/packed for NAFO.

Latest posts