Riding in the rain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artistic rider

Reaction score
How many other riders regularly ride in the rain? I don't understand when I ride into work and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy. My reply is "I'm not a Harley rider and I love to ride no matter the weather". I enjoy riding as much as possible. Hell I'm riding in tonight. Am I being blind to the dangers? Irresponsible to my wife and kids? Totally selfish? I am not looking for justification but would love some feedback. Thanks for any and all replies.

Riding in the rain is, to me, like slow speed maneuvers...it separates the men from the boys. Riding in the wet takes smooth throttle and brakes. Those who are confident in the wet are, I think, technically more proficient riders.

Some of the most 'fun' I've had is riding in the rain. Blasting through a thunder shower up by Grand Coulee with another friend on a Sprint (I was on my Triumph) and just throwing these huge rooster tails......

Flying down I5 over the Siskiyou Summit last year on the way to MotoGP in thunder, rain, lightning at shally we say above the posted speed limit, on those sweepers. Fast and smooth.

Riding in the Pyrenees in Spain, we had rain one day and just by being smooth I was able to not only keep up with, but leave the guys on the 1000GS behind me...I was on a 650GS! Well, that and they obviously weren't as comfy in the rain.

You're not crazy.

While it isn't my "favorite" adventure, I've ridden in the rain. A couple of years ago I rode from Sacramento to Los Angeles for Christmas (425 miles, one way)...and yes, it was raining...both directions. My family knows I'm a little on the "mad" side of sanity, and if they didn't before, well.... :blink:

I rode my bike to Roseville to have the tick repair, and it was raining. Guess who was coming the other direction on the freeway and waving as we passed....a Harley rider. Some "real" motorcyclists ride Harleys, too! Some FJR owners wouldn't think of riding in the rain.

Some riders are not comfortable, some are not prepared and some are uncertain. Any of those 3 reasons are a reason to NOT ride in the rain. I will say that one should exercise throttle control if one is going to venture forth on wet rodes whilst astride an FJR. But if one is cautious (remembering the 75% traction on wet roads/tires) it is one more skill to add to your "book".

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like riding in the rain would not be that comfortable ... I have not experienced a real quality set of rain gear however. I went for a long ride today with rain forcast, and when we were an hour from home my wife told me that she was a bit worried about rain. I told her that the bike is a vehicle, and can operate in the rain just fine ... but she was basically just letting me know that I needed to hall ass so she didn't get soaked.

Slabbing it in the rain while wearing a good rainsuit....no issue, do it at least once week to/from work.

Hitting the twisties in the rain, that is a different story for me. I love the twiesites but when wet I lose all confidence. That probably stems from two bad bicycle accidents I had during races almost 10 years ago under similar circumstances. The bike just slid out from under me at ~40mph on a downhill decent. Have had the willies ever since then for the twisties.

Several of us on Keith's E. KY ride hit the Nada Tunnell loop today following a severe T-storm and I pretty much white knuckled it the entire way afraid to lean for that same reason while the other two pretty much were at home. Have ridden that same route in the fall when dry and had no concerns or issues whatsoever.

While I won't go if it is raiing. The rain won't stop me if I am already out riding on the FJR. On the R1, oh yeah, straight back to the barn.

The FEEJ handles the weather a lot better. Almost like it is designed too.

Just take it easy.

As for being irresponsible to your family, when it is your time, it is your time. No matter where you are or what you are doing, your time will expire.

Live well and with no regrets. I say ride.

I love the wet. There's nothing like the feeling of my tire clawing for traction as it's hitting the bot's dots while I lane split share in comute traffic. I've done 50+ mile pleasure rides in the pouring rain and fog up some very technical roads, just to reach the top and not be able to see 50 feet.

I must be a nutter...

I'm a weenie. I guess. Especially if I'm going to work. Don't mind riding home in the rain, or getting caught in the stuff if I'm out already, but I hate starting out in the rain. So, if it's raining when I leave the house for work, I'm in the cage.

I ride daily, rain or shine. The only time I won't ride is if there is ice on the ground. On the wet side of the Cascades in the Pacific NW, you either ride in the rain, or you don't ride a whole lot! :)

If I had my druthers, I'd rather not ride in the rain. I don't mind it that much, I just don't trust the other idiots, and large areas of deep water don't give me… well lets say, very good traction.

If it's raining before I leave for work I won't commute in it. If I go to work and it rains on the way there or home, no biggie. If I'm out riding and it rains, no biggie again, I keep going.

I don't run out and ride just because it's raining. I am a lot more cautious on my braking etc in the rain too.

I ride in all weather except freezing cold. The biggest concern is that cagers can't see you as well in the rain.

I ride daily, rain or shine. The only time I won't ride is if there is ice on the ground. On the wet side of the Cascades in the Pacific NW, you either ride in the rain, or you don't ride a whole lot! :)
+1

I haven't ridden in the rain for at least an hour. Seriously spray the bike regularly with corrosion preventive I'm in the stuff so often.

If I had my druthers, I'd rather not ride in the rain. I don't mind it that much, I just don't trust the other idiots, and large areas of deep water don't give me… well lets say, very good traction.
If it's raining before I leave for wortk I won't commute in it. If I go to work and it rains on the way there or home, no biggie. If I'm out riding and it rains, no biggie again, I keep going.

I don't run out and ride just because it's raining. I am a lot more cautious on my braking etc in the rain too.

+1

I ride in the rain, but I don't like going to work in the rain. My current rain suit leaks, but only sometimes. One morning I arrived and looked like I needed Depends. Most other times I'm fine, dry as can be. Don't know why, haven't figured out what's going on. Arriving at home like that is OK, but not work.

I took the shrink wrap heat gun into the rest room and used it to dry my pants. Made it smell like a laundry!

My previous rain suit was apparently more waterproof, was easier to put on, and packed smaller. Previous was Tour Master Defender, destroyed in my lowside accident last fall. Current is Tour Master Sentinel, got talked into it by my brother, who worked at kneedraggers.com at the time. It's got a lining that's just about impossible to get over your boots. Takes 3 or 4 minutes to get the pants on, and you can't do it standing up, you have to find a chair or bench or something. The jacket is fine, though, no worries there.

On the highway, just a drizzle, you don't even need the rain gear. Unless you have to stop at lights and what not, or unless it's seriously raining, the FJR provides very very good weather protection.

I don't prefer to ride in the rain, but it doesn't stop me if I have too. What I hate worse is that it dirties up my bike! :angry:

I ride in it when I get caught in it, but I don't go looking for it.

If the chance of rain is 40% or above I take the cage. Of course, sometimes when the weather man says there is a 30% chance, we get all 30 of it.

The FJR handles well in the rain and gives pretty good protection from the rain, even without putting on rain gear. With the stock windshield only my shoulders get wet, unless it rains really hard or I ride for a long time.

I've ridden plenty in the rain... just don't like the visor fogging and the bow wave you get across the shins from passing cars.

I'm not a fan of riding in the rain. Don't look for it but if I were caught in it, I would ride it out. Would need someone to pry my ass off the seat and unclench my hands. Not much confidence riding in the rain....... :blink:

I don't mind riding in the rain. I only really avoid the hardest downpours (the ones that make you nervous even in the car).

That being said, if I'm looking for a romp in the twisties, I pass on the rainy day and wait for better weather.