Riding skills and techniques

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcarrick

Reaction score
Being new to motorcycles and having moved up to the fjr this summer from the BMW r65 I need to work on my Gearshifting technique . Riding in traffic around town some times it is dicey when coming onto a parking lot and I find I am not in first gear but rather in neutral! Then I have to stop because first gear doesn't engage readily. Also, do most riders of these newer bikes double clutch when downshifting or is that not really done any more. I became proficient at it on the old BMW but the fjr has a stiff throttle and a steep abrupt throttle response band that makes this seem unwieldy and frankly both embarrassing and intimidating if it isn't executed perfectly. I live in a vacuum when it comes to riding my bike as I came to this late in life so it is not coming quite as naturally as when I was a youngster .

I'd sure like to hear all the wise ass comments,scolds and put-downs to help me put my riding questions and concerns in perspective. Btw, I do a lot of practice in parking lots so I am feeling pretty comfortable at real,slow speeds. The BMW just seemed easier to master in the gearbox/clutch aspects. Also, the driveline seems loud(a lot of whine) compared to the Beemer . I love lthis bike, though! :)

You do not need to double clutch an FJR.

You are either doing something wrong with your clutching or the bike needs adjustment if you end up in neutral very often when you want first gear. Neutral should be difficult to get into accidentally.

You also need to plan ahead better and downshift before you need it. Of course most of us occasionally are in the wrong gear but it's just a thing that one needs to think about and avoid.

Ken

Wow. A vintage BMW rider who is having trouble with an FJR gearbox. Amazing. I rode a buddies R65 and I had to apologize afterwards for all the grinding going on.

Ride the bike, practice. Your bike 'may' need a clutch soak (search the forum)

You shouldn't have a lot of issue with getting down to first. The second to first shift does take a little pressure to miss neutral I've found. I understand where you are coming from, the FJR gear box is lumpy.

Double clutch, no, but I do bump the throttle on down shifts to keep the stress of speed synching off the clutch. Not really necessary, but used to doing it in the car.

1) Do not double clutch

2) Make sure your linkage is adjusted to fit your boots

3) Read about the clutch soak - lots of information about this on the firum

4) Consider releasing the throttle spring tension - there is plenty of information and opinions about this on the forum

5) Although the shift fork is a bit fragile on the FJR, you may be babying it too much. Don't worry about the clunk of the bike shifting into first, just make sure you shift with authority and go into gear

"Riding in traffic around town some times it is dicey when coming onto a parking lot and I find I am not in first gear but rather in neutral! Then I have to stop because first gear doesn't engage readily."

Take a glance at your gear indicator to make sure you're in first. If you're rolling and it doesn't want to slide right into first, just put it in 2nd and feather the clutch. This bike is really hard to stall, putting in 2nd is no problem.

TominCA suggested this in a post on the forum:

... get the G2 Ergonomics Tamer Throttle Tube 40-4F-136-S and remove the excess Throttle cable play on that bike. The abrupt Throttle snatch on the 2006 makes this a safety upgrade, not a comfort accessory.

Also search for stiff throttle on the forum to stiff throttle and decide you want to "fix" the stiff throttle spring. Also look up throttle tube on the forum.

When coming into a parking lot I just leave it in second gear - there is enough torque at low RPMs move the bike around just fine. First gear is good for starting out and that is about it. This technique works for me, but my 09 does not have the throttle issues of prior years, so it may not work for me on your bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being new to motorcycles and having moved up to the fjr this summer from the BMW r65...
I presume you have read some of the basic techniques from Hough in his articles and books...or have read and practiced techniques from some of the other authors who also provide riding clinics or classes...

If not, I would do that...and attend some of the classes out there. I haven't yet, but I would like to this upcoming year.

My personal experience answering the question from people having shifting issues on bikes (not just the FJR) is that they're trying to be too gentle. Do not operate the shifter gently. Don't "squeeze" it into the next gear, either up or down. There are no synchronizers, so shifting should be as quick and as firm as you can move the shifter.

If you start counting in your head when you start a shift and actually get to the 'n' in 'one' before you've let go of the clutch, then you're taking too much time.

As for getting neutral from second, it can't be done unless you're gentle on the shifter. If you WANT neutral, then you intentionally soft-touch it from second. If you hit the shifter down from second correctly, it won't stop in neutral.

The fitment to your boot is important, too. There was a post just a few days ago from a guy who thought his gearbox was busted, he sometimes couldn't get past second gear. Turns out his foot was holding the shifter up, not allowing it to return to center. Adjusting it upward fixed his problem.

Thank you gentlemen, one and all. Each reply was different and addressed my concern from a different perspective. I have re-read the posts and will apply the advice offered. Good to know the torque is adequate to get going in second gear. Also, that the shifts should be firm and quick and the reminder about planning ahead and keeping track of one's shifts. Clutch soak is the last thing I want to accept. From my albeit newby point of view, this is an unacceptable manufacturers defect in quality control that I missed in all the research I was doing in choosing a bike. I am disappointed to see so many owners of the FJR faced with this clutch defect ssue. It's not right. I don't think my bike is affected by this. I hope not. Most likely it's the nut behind the windscreen. I don't recall reading of this with Honda(dry clutch plates). I keep hearing of the Yamaha FJR as a robust bike capable of 100,000/200,000 miles like the German bike...I want to believe I made the choice... :unsure:

The Honda does not have "dry" clutch plates. It is a wet clutch like the FJR. I am going to guess that it is a matter of unpolished technique on your part rather than a mechanical issue with the bike. If at all possible, find an experienced, knowledgable rider somewhere close to you and let them ride the FJR briefly. There are numerous FJR owners on this forum, there is bound to be one close enough to you to help. Most would relish the chance to ride someone else's motorcycle, however briefly.

Do not worry about the reliability of the FJR. Everything on wheels has some mechanical issue eventually. I have the Honda ST1300, my Dad rides the FJR. You can't convince me that there is a reliability difference between them. Both are excellent bikes. I do most of the maintenance on both of them, they have their plusses and minuses. You have made an excellent choice, don't worry. You just need a little work on your technique.

Good luck.

I was taught that downshifting to 1st occurred only when at a complete stop. Almost all other circumstances are better handled by clutch and throttle technique in second gear. That's why you hear the street racers going "BRAAAP-BRAAAP-BRAAAP" as they ease into the McDonald's parking lot.

BZZZZTT! Thanks for playing. :)

Nothing at all wrong with taking first while rolling. That thought comes from the old sports-car days when first was non-synchronized, but all the other gears had synchronizers, so it took some skill to take first gear while moving, and those lacking skill got crunchies.

You can take first at 40 or 50 mph on this bike if you want to.

Nothing at all wrong with taking first while rolling. That thought comes from the old sports-car days when first was non-synchronized, but all the other gears had synchronizers, so it took some skill to take first gear while moving, and those lacking skill got crunchies.

Best have a few R.P.Ms up when you ease out the clutch though.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

I have an 08. I did the throttle spring unwind "thinking" it was necessary, after reading about throttle issues here on the forum! It wasn't! But; I like the feel with less tension to open and hold the throttle along with my "Throttle Meister" and now with arthritis in my right wrist I really appreciate the little effort. The FJR is a heavy bike and in a parking lot situation I find back brake only is better for me? As for keeping the rev's up a little, that can be used as a balancing technique along with knee's tight to the tank while slow riding in those situations! My 2cents.

Being new to motorcycles and having moved up to the fjr this summer from the BMW r65 I need to work on my Gearshifting technique . Riding in traffic around town some times it is dicey when coming onto a parking lot and I find I am not in first gear but rather in neutral! Then I have to stop because first gear doesn't engage readily. Also, do most riders of these newer bikes double clutch when downshifting or is that not really done any more. I became proficient at it on the old BMW but the fjr has a stiff throttle and a steep abrupt throttle response band that makes this seem unwieldy and frankly both embarrassing and intimidating if it isn't executed perfectly. I live in a vacuum when it comes to riding my bike as I came to this late in life so it is not coming quite as naturally as when I was a youngster .

I'd sure like to hear all the wise ass comments,scolds and put-downs to help me put my riding questions and concerns in perspective. Btw, I do a lot of practice in parking lots so I am feeling pretty comfortable at real,slow speeds. The BMW just seemed easier to master in the gearbox/clutch aspects. Also, the driveline seems loud(a lot of whine) compared to the Beemer . I love lthis bike, though! :)

Howdy neighbor.

You made the right choice whether ya know it or not? :yahoo:

I too owned a '81 R65LS, (In the mid eighties) and had an R1200ST before the FJR, 'n I wanta say; you just need to get used to the thang. The FJR has 'bout 10x the power of the R65, and doesn't have the sidewayz engine thrust.

The FJR ain't the slickest shifting bike out thar but it shifts slicker than any BMW I've owned or ridden. Make sure all the recalls have been dun; my throttle response improved after the ECU fix. (Even though it was supposed to be for altitude, it seemed to help at sea level too.)

Make sure ya got lots of air in the tires (I like 40f/43r) then the pig will feel lighter; 'specially at parking lot speeds.

I'm in yer hood, pm me if ya wanta meet up sum time.(If'n you gotta purdie mouf? :p )

Nice to know, and I fully expect that when I finally get my hand on an oh-baby-baby FJR. Didn't work on my 70's-era bikes, nor on my recently-sold 2010 VStar. OK, you could kick the VStar down, but the transmission clunked so hard it shook the entire bike.

Just to add to the (mostly) good advice offered above, make sure your shift linkage and pedal shaft is well lubed. Most are surprised how much of a difference this makes. The shaft that the shifter rotates on is a bit of a pain to lube, some disassembly required, but it's well worth it to clean and re-grease that point. And like others have already said, make sure your foot isn't keeping the shifter from returning to it's middle spot between shifts.