Right saddlebag flies off. WTF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, was the key cylinder/lock still in it's proper place?
If it was, then it was operator error pure and simple, and you didn't have it installed properly. They just don't fall off.

Typical FJR this-bike-is-perfect attitude. It's like the Teutonic attitude associated with BMW's has gone oriental.

Typical FJR this-bike-is-perfect attitude. It's like the Teutonic attitude associated with BMW's has gone oriental.
No, that's not it at all.

And after reading some of the above posts, I may have to amend some of my statements a bit.

So what's your malfunction Dan? Why must you insert your piss poor attitude in the posts you make?

No, that's not it at all.

And after reading some of the above posts, I may have to amend some of my statements a bit.

So what's your malfunction Dan? Why must you insert your piss poor attitude in the posts you make?
I tire of.... again, see above.

To read various FJR owners' attitudes, you'd think the bike had been designed and built by their late, sainted mother. It's only a motorcycle and all you did to put it in your garage is write a check. That's it.

Yes... the guy clearly erred. He didn't have the bag properly installed. If he's the only guy who does that, yeah he's at fault. On the other hand since LOTS of people have done that, it is DESIGN FAULT of the motorcycle. Running constant interference for Yamaha-- a large wealthy corporation that could give two shits so long as the product produces a profit-- is selling short other owners.

That's why I visit here infrequently compared to other areas and post even less. Any clearer?

And, by the way, I like my FJR.

I've seen Yamaha respond to many client complaints over the years.

Surge fix

Topcase rack

Stronger fork springs and shocks

adjustable seats and handlebars

Heck, the list is probably more than a page long of things that I saw mentioned here then put on the FJR. It seems if we talk about it here, it is one way to get something fixed. I have found the sidecases tricky sometimes and I always make a visual inspection of my work because I know I could take off one day wtih the thing on wrong. Will Yamaha make something that is a easy mounting? Will we lose our cool w/o bags look? Seems like starting a discussion here often ends up with results either good, or bad (depending on your point of view)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I bet captain amerika and dan would make great friends. :eek: just needs a few graphs and pie charts for the visual effect.

That's why I visit here infrequently compared to other areas and post even less. Any clearer?
And I thought it was just because you're a negative personality that views the glass as far more than half empty.

If you think Skooterg is some sort of Yamaha apologist....wow...you must really think there are some serious Kool-Aid drinkers around these parts.

What's the matter Dan23....you having a bad day or something? Your negativity today is bordering on spew.

Wow, I bet captain amerika and dan would make great friends. :eek: just needs a few graphs and pie charts for the visual effect.
Alas, Captain America had to be medivacced to the Gulf of Oilrant off the coast of Mexico last month and joins the likes of Starcruiser/downn2. He sprained something in a posting of ill-advised invectives that never saw the light of day, but can still be found spewing over here occasionally.

"A large wealthy corporation" -true

Doesn't care about its customers? Surely you jest. They wouldn't be a large wealthy customer if they didn't care about their customers.

I think Yamaha has done a good job of tuning into customer complaints and addressing them.

Glenn

I went back and reread what I wrote yesterday and if I offended anyone, then I rest my case.

In other words, no apology is due and none is offered.

Thanks for the replies. Ride safe on a fine, but not perfect machine. It is after all, not the bike we ride, but the places we go and the people we meet that are the best part of motorcycling.

[sarcasm]

Yesterday I bought this REALLY hot cup of coffee at McD's. Due to no fault of my own, I drove away and, when my cell phone went off and I reached over to answer it, somehow that hot coffeee escaped from the cup and burned me. So, is the design error in my car, the coffee, or the cell phone? Surely you don't expect me to be responsible for the consequences of my actions.

[/sarcasm]

I went back and reread what I wrote yesterday and if I offended anyone, then I rest my case.
In other words, no apology is due and none is offered.
Nice. Thanks for sharing. But a simple "Fuck You Everybody" would have been much easier.

First of all, was the key cylinder/lock still in it's proper place?
If it was, then it was operator error pure and simple, and you didn't have it installed properly. They just don't fall off.
not really. it's an opinion based on 5 years of reports of the occasional lost bag and the vast majority of them being OE in nature. very rarely has it been a mechanical failure and, when that's been the case it's typically traced to a locking mechanism that wasn't checked (allowed to get loose and fall out) or a lost lower tab bumper (which should have been noticed when mounting the bag).

next whine, please. :rolleyes:

If he's the only guy who does that, yeah he's at fault. On the other hand since LOTS of people have done that, it is DESIGN FAULT of the motorcycle.
typical new-age blame-someone-else attitude. what part of "having a standard process to attach a saddle bag" and "not following it" is so hard to accept as "equals OE"?

next whine, please. :rolleyes:

Alas, Captain America had to be medivacced to the Gulf of Oilrant off the coast of Mexico last month and joins the likes of Starcruiser/downn2. He sprained something in a posting of ill-advised invectives that never saw the light of day, but can still be found spewing over here occasionally.
RB, eh? That explains a lot about how he chooses to respond to ANY FJR owner over there who he recognizes as also being over here.

I lost a bag off my '04 a couple of years ago. Turned out that when I had put the bag on and turned the key to lock it I didn't have the handle pressed all the way down so the lock tab went under it rather than engaging it. Looked down, but it twer'nt. Took about 5km for the handle to work its way up and the bag to jump off. Since then I keep the handle pressed down with one hand while I turn the key with the other. You want bags that jump off all by themselves, no help needed? Try a C14.

Rob.

The first time I put the bags on my 07 I noticed the right bag was looser than the left. The top two fittings were the same, the lock piece that engages the bike were the same, but the bottom mount that goes over the rubber piece near the exhaust pipe was much looser. I ended up putting some tape around the rubber to make it bigger. That took up all the slop. I haven't looked at which part is actually bigger or smaller. Next week maybe. I don't think it would have been loose enough to come off the bike even before I added the tape.

Thank you for your patience....

The only way my bag(s) will come off unexpectedly is by direct impact with a foreign object.

DSC01319.jpg

The first time I put the bags on my 07 I noticed the right bag was looser than the left. The top two fittings were the same, the lock piece that engages the bike were the same, but the bottom mount that goes over the rubber piece near the exhaust pipe was much looser. I ended up putting some tape around the rubber to make it bigger. That took up all the slop. I haven't looked at which part is actually bigger or smaller. Next week maybe. I don't think it would have been loose enough to come off the bike even before I added the tape.
I took another look at the bags and when mounted , well ,I am not convinced that they will stay on , so I will go ahead and drill some holes in the lower mounting assembly and use some slip bolts to shore things up. Face it , the key turns 90 degrees to lock the bag and the vertical travel of the handle prong is 1 and 5/8 inches. Oh and the slot that it goes into on the bike side provides only 3/16 in of fit. That , my friends, is where the design flaw occurs. Had they made it to reach 3/4 inches into the black plastic housing then we wouldn't have the issue with the bags.

Check it out for yourself if ya'll don't believe me.

I like the retaining bolt TC. What is a good source for that bolt? Marine store or something to that effect?