Riser question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonn46

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just wondering what the rule of thumb is or if there is one for when you should get risers? I am 5'8" and just got an 04 FJR. Is it if you have a long torso that you need risers or if you are vertically challenged that you need them?

Tks in advance

John

Pain through the shoulders (back of neck) told me! Since I have short arms I got the D & D with pullback. pain gone!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no rule of thumb that I am aware of, but I'm 5'10" and I've got a set of Heli risers on mine.

I have back problems and the leaning forward position was hard on my back. Between getting a Corbin "close" seat and the risers, I'm comfortable again.

If you're back gets sore, your wrists get sore, or your forearms get "pumped up" while riding, give them a try. If they don't work out, sell them on Ebay or back here on the Forum. They are easy to install in 1/2 hour or so. Give them a shot, you won't know if you like them until you try.

Humm you don't *NEED* them unless you find the riding position uncomfortable after a time and releave it by wanting to sit up straighter. Everyone is different. Put some miles on the bike before you start throwing farkles at it just because you read about them on the internet. :rolleyes:

Sorry there is no X + Y = comfort equation that works for everyone. I made those kinds of mistakes with a couple of bikes until I stopped and made a rule that if it was a "comfort" change I wouldn't do anything until I did 1000-2000 miles on the bike and even then do 1 thing, see what the effect was then do the next thing.

Of course that is only for postional comfort, other stuff I have bought before I even had the bike in the garage. :unsure:

shoulder pain, neck pain (height & too far forward)

wrist / hand pain (angle between bars)

I stacked a heli with a D&D 10 degree

it's a tiller, but it works for me

3229124651_d95899e6e2.jpg

I'm 5'-6" and am going with the group buy on the Heli Risers, do I "need" them? Not really. But after three years of leaning a little forward all the time I'm going for the Comfort factor. I'm riding alot farther and longer these days and want the better riding position. I don't spend alot on farkels, but the risers are a must have for me now.