Risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger55

Reaction score
I just picked up my first FJR (2005) and rode home about 70 miles. I have been riding a cruiser, so the riding position is quite different. I am also 6'5". I noticed my arms and hands getting a little uncomfortable (maybe I'm just not used to this position). I am thinking risers would help a lot but don't know anything about them, how much $, how difficult is it to do, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

Welcome Roger I have an 05 and use Helibar brand risers there are other brands out there that have different heights and setbacks for just the right setup, makes a big difference look around they are not expensive (Ebay ect.)

on a GEN1 you might spend 20 minutes for install Good luck!

Welcome! Before you start thinking about risers, I suggest doing some research into riding position. Google "master yoda riding position" and read thoroughly. The FJR actually puts you in a perfect riding position, *IF* your hips and back are correct. It will probably require some re-training on your part. Ive got about 3k miles on mine now, and also came from riding 20 years on cruisers, and also considered risers; however, after doing some reading and re-training on my part, I dont think I'll be getting them.

Cruisers actually put you in an incorrect riding position. As your sitting on the bike, either straight back or slightly leaning back, your hips are in a position to transfer all the bumps and jars to your lower back. With a ST bike, the slight lean forward with hips rocked forward, your hips take the jars, saving your lower back.

Again, grats on your new ride :)

Good advice. I'm not going to rush into it. I figured I need to ride for a while and get used to the different position. I parked my V Star on a busy street yesterday with a for sale sign on it. When I went to pick it up, after riding the FJR it was like OMG this does not feel right. I'm sure there will be some retraining involved.

Thanks

Welcome! Before you start thinking about risers, I suggest doing some research into riding position. Google "master yoda riding position" and read thoroughly. The FJR actually puts you in a perfect riding position, *IF* your hips and back are correct. It will probably require some re-training on your part. Ive got about 3k miles on mine now, and also came from riding 20 years on cruisers, and also considered risers; however, after doing some reading and re-training on my part, I dont think I'll be getting them.

Cruisers actually put you in an incorrect riding position. As your sitting on the bike, either straight back or slightly leaning back, your hips are in a position to transfer all the bumps and jars to your lower back. With a ST bike, the slight lean forward with hips rocked forward, your hips take the jars, saving your lower back.

Again, grats on your new ride :)

I have been happy with the fixed height risers from redlunaracing on eBay: redlunaracing

You get a bit of adjustment front to back with the pin positions in the tripple clamp and these are about as high as you can go without changing the wiring harness. The instructions are good for the install and if you poke around on the forums, you will find several threads on risers and details about this type of riser. With you height, I would make sure you spend some time on the bike before making a choice. mg

IMG_0406.JPG