Rode a Sportster home today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfish Hunter

Gone Fishing
Reaction score
Yes, it is true. I actually rode a brand new, 0 mile 2014 Harley Davidson Sportster home from the dealership today. It is the "Forty-Eight" and is really a neat looking, nimble little bike.

No, it is not mine.

A co-worker/friend caught the fever for a motorcycle. There are 3 of us in my department that ride and he sought our advice. He settled on the Sportster as his first bike. He has never owned a motorcycle before. He has ridden before, he took a class while working in Illinois last year and got his MC endorsement.

He bought the Sportster from Harley Davidson of Baton Rouge which is located in a very busy part of town. He was unsure of his ability to safely ride the bike out of there and get it back to his house. He asked me to ride it home for him. I offered to use my trailer so he could be the first to ride it but he said no. So, myself and the other two riding co-workers all went to the Harley dealership to take possession of the new HD. My Harley riding buddy rode along with me while the happy new bike purchaser drove his truck behind us. The BMW rider went home.

Once at my (wife's) house, I turned him loose in the yard until he felt comfortable. Then he rode up and down my dead end road for a while. All was good.

So, I rode a brand new Sportster and I liked it. I am not ashamed.

While I did not get any pics of me riding it, this is what a happy Harley owner on a Forty-eight looks like:

Pretty Coolio.

Given he had the smarts to let you right at home due to his lack of confidence I think he will be okay. Sent from my iPhone

The selection of a Harley for your first bike makes perfect sense !

In life it is a natural to start at the bottom and work your way up !
rolleyes.gif

And you all know that I am just fooling'… I hope.

Sportster is a fun bike with good clearance and decent performance. It's a great way to start. Your friend will outgrow this bike as his skills and experience allow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sportster is a fun bike with good clearance and decent performance. It's a great way to start. Your friend will outgrow this bike as his skills and experience allow.
TomInPa's post provoked a Darwin thought....... oooops.

Does that model have the "tooth filling extractor" motor?

At least the rake/trail spec on that one is rideable. The footeg and handlebar locations also look fairly comfortable. That front tire looks like a handful, though - there's nothing "sporty" about that. Typical sportster fuel tank - ony good for runs between beer stores. I'm sure the lack of glitter and chrome put that bike at a reasonable price point (for a H/D that is).

Overall - not too bad a choice.

However, a better choice for a first street bike would have been a 500-ish cc 25 year old 40-ish horsepower metric with around 30K miles, a dent already in the tank, a little rash on the clutch cover, and an asking price of "make me an offer". If WHEN you drop it, it won't sting one bit. Ride that baby 6 months and learn exactly what you want in a motorcycle. Or better yet, learn IF motorcycling is something you want to continue. Regardless, you can then sell it for what you paid for it. Then, if applicable, go buy the bike you want.

Every bike dealership, in order to maintain a buisness license, should be forced to have a "First Bike Department". If you can't prove that you have owned a registered motorcycle before, then you are directed to the back lot. There, you can choose from 25 "First Bikes". Here's the deal - you buy any of these bikes for $1,000.00. You bring it back in 6 months provided you have ridden it at least 1,000.00 miles. We'll give you $500.00 trade on any new bike you want, provided the beater is still in running condition. We've just made a customer for life because we now our sales pitch is spot on since we are pushing you toward the bike you really want and will ride and enjoy and you will gladly put an additiona mortgage on the house for that. Otherwise, if you'd prefer to take you business elsewhere, we'll give you a certificate that states you have met your "6-month" pre-buy requirement and good luck to you, sir. It doesn't bother us much because our wholesale buyer goes to auction and picks up 10 beaters every month. We also sleep well at night knowing that no rich squid wanna be has bought the 200 horsepower death machine without at least understanding the ramifications of what he is getting into. The insurance industry is overwelmingly estatic with this idea - now the EMR (Experience Modification Rate - it's what the guys with the pocket protectors use to establish how much you are going to pay for insurance) has gone down for all of us because now, when people buy a $25,000.00 motorcycle, they have a little clue about what to do with it. And finially, the entire motorcycle community is eternally grateful for our forward thinking mentality - now, the "stupid bike buyer" accidents are practically eliminated, and that makes the entire attitude toward our industry better.

Just a thought.... I might have got a little carried away... guess this strikes a nerve....

Yup - I concur that everyone's first road bike should be 500cc or less. I strongly believe there are two kinds of motorcyclists: those that have not dropped it and those that will...
rolleyes.gif

Does that model have the "tooth filling extractor" motor?
At least the rake/trail spec on that one is rideable. The footeg and handlebar locations also look fairly comfortable. That front tire looks like a handful, though - there's nothing "sporty" about that. Typical sportster fuel tank - ony good for runs between beer stores. I'm sure the lack of glitter and chrome put that bike at a reasonable price point (for a H/D that is).

Overall - not too bad a choice.

However, a better choice for a first street bike would have been a 500-ish cc 25 year old 40-ish horsepower metric with around 30K miles, a dent already in the tank, a little rash on the clutch cover, and an asking price of "make me an offer". If WHEN you drop it, it won't sting one bit. Ride that baby 6 months and learn exactly what you want in a motorcycle. Or better yet, learn IF motorcycling is something you want to continue. Regardless, you can then sell it for what you paid for it. Then, if applicable, go buy the bike you want.

Every bike dealership, in order to maintain a buisness license, should be forced to have a "First Bike Department".

Just a thought.... I might have got a little carried away... guess this strikes a nerve....
Hmmm... Let me try to address most of your points here.

Yes, it vibrates. That is what Harleys do, and the folks that like them want them to vibrate. The "forward controls" that are apparently near and dear to the hearts of Harley folks baffle me. That is the one thing about Harleys that I "don't get". That beefy front tire actually suits the little bike well. And, if you notice in the pic the man is WIDE across the shoulders. He is not soft and smushy, he is a solid and physically powerful young man. The skinny front tire bikes did not suit him at all.

2.1 gallon tank. That says it all really.

I 1000% agree with you about what type of first bike should have been bought. I urged for a used "metric cruiser" since they are Harleyesque and can be had a dime a dozen. I explained this with the same logic that you did, but... "I have always wanted a Harley and now I can afford one". How many of us have heard those words before?

Harley gives you one year to trade in your Sportster for a Big Twin for exactly what you paid for it. That is hard to argue against.

While your logic about the "First Bike Department" is sound and I respect your views and beliefs on safety tremendously, I cannot completely agree with you this time. While you make wonderful sense, you propose too much structure and government control to a sport that is all about freedom. Good logic though, and it would be wonderful if the dealerships mandated it with no legislation actually requiring it.

Yup - I concur that everyone's first road bike should be 500cc or less. I strongly believe there are two kinds of motorcyclists: those that have not dropped it and those that will...
rolleyes.gif
Yes Sir! I did tell him exactly that. It is not "if" it is "when".

Really though, while the Sportster has 1200cc of displacement, the performance is comparable to a Japanese 500cc bike so he is not really all that far out of line anyway.

I'd say get that boy to a riding class pronto......... nothing worse than a newbie on a heavier bike that should have had some seat time on something light where he could develop some coordination at parking lot speeds and use of the controls..........

Harley has not done the trade it back in against a big twin and get your full purchase price in many years. That particular dealership may choose to offer it but it's not a corporate program. Your friend looks like a fairly stout fellow and I can tell you the Sportster 48 has some pretty limited rear suspension travel. There are plenty of good aftermarket rear shocks available that will improve both ride and performance.

I've worked for a Harley dealership for almost 15 years part time and would be happy to offer any aid or help I can give your friend.

For those knocking the Sportster as a choice, I have to say, THIS big guy would look like a monkey humping a football on a 500cc cafe or sport bike. Also, if you're willing to carry spare fuel in a can, I can personally attest that I had a friend on a 93 Sporty accompany my FJR on a 7500 mile cross-country tour, and with some tall gearing, I didn't wait for him (much). We had a great time, and that bike was a hit everywhere we stopped, while the FJR was ignored ("Your rode THAT how far!!!?? FWIW the buddy got a Gen II FJR before the next trip.

moneyshot_1024x596.jpg

ReturnTrip022_1024x680.jpg

Nice job Red. Sounds like he will listen to you, now's the chance to encourage him to buy good gear etc. Once he's mastered riding you can let him take the Feejeer for a spin to find out what a real bike can do
rolleyes.gif

PS under him that sporty looks like a 500cc bike

Almost bought one once...

then I test rode a 1200 at Americade....

handled good but I was surprised at what a pig it was after coming off my FJ1200

He's a big boy, the Sportster Forty-Eight has low end grunt and a low seat height (which makes it a good starter bike), he's has always wanted a Harley and he can afford one.

I say congratulations and hope he has many miles and smiles!

Good job RH!

I congratulate your friend on his choice of motorcycles.

It is good to see a rider get what he/she wants.

Ride for the love of the sport, the brand does not matter.

I agree. If that is the bike that speaks to him, and what he has always wanted, who are we to suggest otherwise?

I wouldn't want (to pay for) that bike, but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't.

Latest posts