Rode a Sportster home today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ReturnTrip022_1024x680.jpg
I HAVE TO KNOW! Where is this?!

That is in the Badlands Nat'l Park. We have better pictures, but this one shows the bike. The other shot was on the Red Lodge side of Beartooth Pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rider is happy and riding.

What else really, matters?
+1, Gunny; My first Harley-Davidson was a 1970 XLCH Sportster bought new and I rode the SCMA Three Flags Classic on it in 1975, I have owned three more Sportsters since then including an XLCR.

harley-davidson-xlcr-1000-1-4377.jpg

I'll bet you wish you still owned the XLCR! Prices on those bikes have gone through the roof.

Not a bad choice, though I agree that a used and dinged 2 cylinder 500cc is a better first ever bike. The center of gravity on a HD is low, so dropping it is less likely, it isn't so fast as to be hard to handle with even a little experience, and it's big enough to enjoy a variety of rides without that annoying buzzy topped out feeling of a smaller displacement bike at 70 mph. Hope he listens to your advice, RFH.

If everybody chose the exact same bike this sport would be so vanilla. It's anything but. So, If that is what your buddy wanted, its' all good. And "Red", you were a good buddy by bringing it home safely for him. Variety is the spice of life they say, and I'm with it all the way :)

-KJ

If everybody chose the exact same bike this sport would be so vanilla. It's anything but. So, If that is what your buddy wanted, its' all good. And "Red", you were a good buddy by bringing it home safely for him. Variety is the spice of life they say, and I'm with it all the way
smile.png

-KJ
+1, Gunny; well said KJ, kudos to Redfish Hunter!

I'll bet you wish you still owned the XLCR! Prices on those bikes have gone through the roof.
BikerChuck: I sold the XLCR to a Gentleman from Nashville, TN ten years ago this summer and I got reasonably good money for it.

You actually own what I hope to someday have in my motorcycle collection before I croak, at age 65 I better get my Buell S2 soon!

81605.jpg

A brief update might be in order. I had offered to loan my friend a pair of riding gloves but he refused. I knew he was very nervous when he left and I made myself feel better by following him home in my truck. He rode his bike to work Tuesday. Wednesday he asked me if those gloves were still available.
smile.png

He bought the "skid lid" helmet that seems to be Harley standard issue. I did not approve. When his wife saw it, she was EXTREMELY unhappy. His logic was that it matched the look. Her logic was that he was inexperienced and needed all the protection he could get. She also thought that "those full face helmets the crotch rocket guys wear look cool and they still look good after they crash".

After riding the bike a bit, he asked me very seriously why his 1200cc bike was actually slower than a 600cc crotch rocket. Was it the weight? Was it the # of cylinders? For my part I struggled with how to answer that without offending him.

When my BMW riding friend explained that his R1200RT was a 1200cc twin like the Sportster but was able to put about twice the horsepower to the rear tire, he was really confused.

I told him to just enjoy the bike he bought. Just enjoy it as a motorcycle, ride it, learn it, and then decide what direction you want to go. I also told him it was okay to like all kinds of motorcycles, he did not have to specialize.

I have a matte black Shoei Quest that might somewhat fit the Hardley look--'specially with a few skull stickers....

A brief update might be in order. I had offered to loan my friend a pair of riding gloves but he refused. I knew he was very nervous when he left and I made myself feel better by following him home in my truck. He rode his bike to work Tuesday. Wednesday he asked me if those gloves were still available.
smile.png

He bought the "skid lid" helmet that seems to be Harley standard issue. I did not approve. When his wife saw it, she was EXTREMELY unhappy. His logic was that it matched the look. Her logic was that he was inexperienced and needed all the protection he could get. She also thought that "those full face helmets the crotch rocket guys wear look cool and they still look good after they crash".

After riding the bike a bit, he asked me very seriously why his 1200cc bike was actually slower than a 600cc crotch rocket. Was it the weight? Was it the # of cylinders? For my part I struggled with how to answer that without offending him.

When my BMW riding friend explained that his R1200RT was a 1200cc twin like the Sportster but was able to put about twice the horsepower to the rear tire, he was really confused.

I told him to just enjoy the bike he bought. Just enjoy it as a motorcycle, ride it, learn it, and then decide what direction you want to go. I also told him it was okay to like all kinds of motorcycles, he did not have to specialize.
Probably best that he stays with the Sporty till he gets some miles- and experience- under his belt. Hopefully his wife will succeed in convincing him to wear ATGATT; now is when he will be most at risk.

I've seen this movie before. I lot.

That's why I wrote the #8 post in this thread. I know - I know - he can buy whatever he wants. Hold your flames. Yippie-kiiii-aaaaa. But here we are mere days later and he's already questioning his decision? The questions he is asking clearly make my point. At least the H/D will have pretty good re-sale value if he has to change.

To be clear, the last paragraph I wrote (First Bike Department) was most certainly Tongue-n-Cheek. Sometimes the content of what I write doesn't jive with the context.

Working at a Harley dealership I can tell you that HD does offer some decent looking full face and modular helmets. They don't actually manufacture them but do have them made under contract by companies such as HJC, KBC, and on occasion Shoei. Some of their gear is also pretty decent. The Harley FXRG line in any HD dealerships motorclothes department is available in either leather or more modern textile materials. Most of the pieces in this line up offer removable liners, some body armor, and decent ventilation or cold weather protection. Prices are more in line with having the coveted Harley nameplate on them but if fitting in with that crowd is important to him, this offers a way to go that route yet save face onboard the pirate ship. If your friend wants any advice from someone who actually works at one of theses shops please have him contact me. He may not be on a FJR yet but I'd be more than happy to try to help him find the gear that will keep him safe and his wife happy.

Working at a Harley dealership I can tell you that HD does offer some decent looking full face and modular helmets. They don't actually manufacture them but do have them made under contract by companies such as HJC, KBC, and on occasion Shoei.
+1, Gunny; this is a very popular helmet among East Valley HOG Members, sponsored by Chester's Harley-Davidson in Mesa, Arizona. $250 at the store, seen for $50 on ebay. https://www.chestershd.com https://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/mens-motorcycle-helmets I wear my Schuberth on HOG rides and no one says a thing, also I see other HOG riders wearing ATGATT without anyone giving them any grief! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

%24_35.JPG

Please do not misunderstand me, my friend really likes his Sportster. He is very happy with his bike choice but he is not blinded by the HD Kool-Aid. He is learning more about the limits and capabilities of his bike and himself. He was and still is confused by the performance gap between Harleys/Metric Cruisers and more sporty bikes. At first he did not realize how great that gap was, now he has trouble understanding why the gap is that large.

For my part I have encouraged him to consider gear that is both protective and stylish. I have never spoke badly of his Harley because I think it is a fun and worthwhile bike. I hope he enjoys it and learns to ride it well and safely. I also make an effort to set an example worth following with my gear and my riding style.

He has told me, "You know everybody does not think like you. Most of them like one kind of bike and think all the rest are stupid."

I told him that I belong to a whole forum full of motorcycle enthusiasts, a group of guys that like Motorcycles.

Latest posts