Rode a Sportster home today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He bought the "skid lid" helmet that seems to be Harley standard issue. I did not approve. When his wife saw it, she was EXTREMELY unhappy. His logic was that it matched the look.
This is the part that always scares me and why there is some HD backlash which also bleeds over into cruiser riders in general regardless of bike brand. Of course we all know that and won't go down that road. Trying to match a look & persona and forgetting everything else is just silly. But when you see thousands of others doing that very same thing it just reinforces a new HD/Cruiser riding recruit that this is just what you do, because everyone is doing it.

I come from riding cruisers, that's my background. My bike before the FJR was freaking badass. I had the whole airbrushed skull graphics, blacked out custom look and my V-Twin was turning out 115hp with a fat 250mm rear tire. I'd be lying if I didn't admit there is something to the whole "bad boy" cruiser rider thing. It can be very liberating and fun to do. I enjoyed it. But I always wore a armored riding jacket, steel toed boots, proper helmet & riding gloves. Mine was a Suzuki not a HD, but that doesn't really matter.

My last bike.

M109RCollage_zps365cdad2.jpg

My point is...everyone is different & people choose motorcycles for their own personal reasons. There is no such thing as right or wrong necessarily. I wouldn't mind having a 2nd bike myself and it would prob be a big comfort cruiser for when I'm in the mood for doing a Sunday afternoon cruise with my wife. You have a completely different mindset when your riding cruisers. At least I do.

But new riders need to be realistic & not try to live up to some oversold HD persona. Riding in shorts, t-shirt & skid lid may look "cool" one minute...but when your bleeding out on the side of the road after a crash you'll have another opinion of your riding gear.

I'm glad your trying to help the young man RFH!!!!

For my part I have encouraged him to consider gear that is both protective and stylish. I have never spoke badly of his Harley because I think it is a fun and worthwhile bike. I hope he enjoys it and learns to ride it well and safely. I also make an effort to set an example worth following with my gear and my riding style.
He has told me, "You know everybody does not think like you. Most of them like one kind of bike and think all the rest are stupid."

I told him that I belong to a whole forum full of motorcycle enthusiasts, a group of guys that like Motorcycles.
Your saying exactly what I would say to him. Your not belitting his bike choice but your giving him a mature & seasoned rider perspective. That's what he needs to hear. There is a difference in just being a cruiser biker and a motorcycle enthusiasts. Bikers tend to be more narrow minded and enthusiasts can appreciate all kinds of bikes.

By suggesting protective and Stylish gear is key for him. This guys does not want some bright reflective orange jumpsuit. He thinks he has a cool bike and he wants to look cool riding it & there is nothing wrong with that. And fortunately there is some great stylish protective riding gear these days. It costs a pretty penny but it's worth it to invest in it.

I hope he listens to you and uses a proper helmet, gloves & jacket at the very least. He many not look like Paul Sr. going down the road in a muscle shirt & no helmet, but if/when he ever goes down he'll be glad that he didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to add this in earlier, if your friend finds a helmet or other gear at a Harley dealership and they don't have his size, or it's no longer available, have him ask the dealership staff to check availability at other dealerships. Harley has a really cool website called HD-net that is strictly for dealerships to be able to locate parts at other dealerships throughout the US.If his local dealership doesn't want bothered, have him get the Harley part number and message it to me and I'll try to help locate whatever he's looking for. Any dealer that cares at all about customer service should be happy to offer this for you.I do this quite often and have helped many customers find obsolete parts, helmets, jackets, and collectible items they were unable to find.

Here's a photo of the youngest Son, and his 2005 XL1200R. Look closely at the front end.... Brembo 4 piston calipers and floating rotors. Donated from a V-Rod, but the touring parts would also work. Direct bolt-on.

But, I digress.

He has two sport bikes, in addition to this Sportster. Those two bikes have amassed a grand total of 400 miles (collectively) in the past three years.

"Why don't you ride those other bikes ? " to which he replied "I dunno, I just like the Sportster better"

That's why they make so many different motorcycles. Something for everyone.

010_zpsc79b58ba.jpg

Thanks for all the positive and supportive comments. I have been parking my bike next to the little Sportster every day this week, he has been riding it to work every day.

He told me today that he was upset about tomorrow's forecast, it calls for rain. I asked him what that had to do with anything, Harleys run in the rain too! He said that it probably would but he was not ready for that yet. Probably the best decision for a novice to make. Unfortunately, my sarcastic comments have painted me into a corner and I HAVE to ride tomorrow, rain or shine.

He is getting his funds together and has decided some decent riding gear is a higher priority than a loud exhaust system. I hope I helped with that decision.

He is getting his funds together and has decided some decent riding gear is a higher priority than a loud exhaust system. I hope I helped with that decision.
Good call on that! I see far too many that buy into that whole "loud pipes save lives" nonsense. Let him know that simple slip on mufflers can give the bike a little more growl without getting too obnoxious. If he wants to change or modify the airbox and air cleaner he'll need some form of a tuner and costs add up quickly at that point.

Enjoy your wet ride!

My very first bike as a beginner was a 1986 Softtail Custom. Because of the lower C of G it was a lot easier to ride and maneuver than my 650 VStrom. Especially maneuvers like figure eights and U-turns. And it was lot more fun to ride.

I’ve own a lot of motorcycles since then. But when I am asleep and dreaming of riding…I’m back on that Softtail. Never should have sold it. But since I was unemployed for over a year something had to go. I sold it back to the Dealer three years and 20K miles later…for exactly what I paid for it,….plus $.50 for bus fare.

For those knocking the Sportster as a choice, I have to say, THIS big guy would look like a monkey humping a football on a 500cc cafe or sport bike. Also, if you're willing to carry spare fuel in a can, I can personally attest that I had a friend on a 93 Sporty accompany my FJR on a 7500 mile cross-country tour, and with some tall gearing, I didn't wait for him (much). We had a great time, and that bike was a hit everywhere we stopped, while the FJR was ignored ("Your rode THAT how far!!!?? FWIW the buddy got a Gen II FJR before the next trip.

[img=[URL="https://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/2011/2011-08-04%20USA%20return%20trip/moneyshot_1024x596.jpg%5D"]https://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/2011/2011-08-04%20USA%20return%20trip/moneyshot_1024x596.jpg][/URL]

[img=[URL="https://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/2011/2011-08-04%20USA%20return%20trip/ReturnTrip022_1024x680.jpg%5D"]https://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/Cirquerider/2011/2011-08-04%20USA%20return%20trip/ReturnTrip022_1024x680.jpg][/URL]
Gee that was fun! The FJR is more comfortable on a long trip though. I still like riding the Sportster.

If he took the Basic Motorcycle Safety Course in Illinois, the he already got the ATGATT indoctrination. Happy to see that you reinforced that.

Sounds like he got the bike he wanted, and I agree it is a great starter for mature person.

The only thing wrong with HD is my neighbors Street Bob & Hard Tail, they bought the whole Harley life style deal
pirate.gif

All of this talk about Harley-Davidson is making me really miss my Twin Cam 88 FXD, Son Seth started riding in the sidecar rig as a toddler and ten years ago started riding behind me when it returned to being a solo bike!

JoesBBQ-Wikeiup004.jpg

So, I rode a brand new Sportster and I liked it. I am not ashamed.
I test rode an XR1200 a few years ago while they were still selling them and I actually was surprised at how much I liked it. Decent suspension, good brakes - honestly the only thing I was disapointed in was the engine which made comparable power to my 1975 CB400F..... I wouldnt mind having an XR in my garage....

Well, I failed. I failed utterly and completely. Common sense and reasoning are powerless against the Harley crowd.

The nice little Sportster has been transformed into a lump of uselessness. Vance and Hines exhaust, new air cleaner, ignition switch relocator all were more important than protective gear. This morning I see that the front fender has been removed. Why? Because it looks cool... I am told that a set of Ape Hanger bars are on order for it.

As far as protective gear is concerned? Well, a pair of fingerless gloves and a non-DOT approved "skid lid" are all any Real Harley rider needs. Maybe all the stickers he put on the helmet will protect him. Of course, he does not actually ride it very much anyway so...

The taste of failure is bitter. Very bitter.

RFH, it's not you who has failed. Apparently fitting in with the "cool kids" is still too important to your coworker.

On a different note, Memorial Day weekend riding the Mason DIxon 20-20 rally, I had the pleasure of meeting a gentleman with 140k miles on a '05 Sportster! This is his preferred touring and rally bike and he has completed several IBA rides with it including a 50CC!

Perhaps someday your coworker will discover that actually riding rather than posing will add more to his feelings of satisfaction in life.

I don't own any of those stylish fingerless gloves, but have been known to ride in a tshirt and a 3/4 helmet.

We all accept some level of risk. Simply walking out the front door in the morning ratchets up the risk factor.

Let me go out on a limb here and say that when many of us were young, we didn't give a thought about ATGATT.

Riding into Illinois (a non helmet state) we see crotch rockets with riders in shorts and no shirt..... tennis shoes, and no helmet. Riding wheelies down the highway.

It is what it is.

80533.jpg

All Papa Chuy Viejo knows is that every time I see this Sportster thread, I start searching for Buell S3T motorcycles for sale! I really want an S3T! JSNS!

Buell-Babe-13.jpg