Roger Van Santen needs help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger was reported as making it through Butte, Montana. The alternator charges some as long as he keeps it over 4,000, but he's got all optional electrical devices off and is a bit cold. He won't make it all the way home before dark.
I offered my place to stay as it's on the way for him and about 6 hours from Butte at S&T speeds....putting him here likely an hour or two before dark. A warm bed, hot meal, garage parking spot, and battery charger await if he wants.
any idea if he pulled the headlights fuse ???

And Roger posted up a pos-mortem of his ride on the Damtour.com website here. And even though he didn't end up snagging every dam he wanted to on the ride....it should put him within a few of finishing.

Let me know if you and Roger would want to tackle putting in my stock stator (5k miles on it). Just wanting to lend a hand to a fellow FJR member.
Iffn Roger doesn't want it, and you're looking to get rid of it, I'm interested............
I have a NIB Electrosport that I never got around to installing. Make me an offer!

my understanding is that anything under 12.5 should be considered "being in a discharge state". IIRC the bike won't accept (kick over) at anything below 10 as the core components won't boot (EFI, ingnition, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't actually document this ride, but it trully was saddle SORE. It was a reminder of when I started all this ld stuff--no GPS, XM, all the stuff we're used to now. I did have heat when I started ldriding and I missed that as much as anything yesterday. Other than the cold, the weather was great--as in no rain or snow.

The FJR finally started to crap out at about 9.5 volts.

Regarding the headlights: I simply unplugged them at the bulbs. I only used one to get home from Pasco and that sucked the juice much quicker. It took .3 volts to run the ~750 miles to Pasco with the lights off and .6 volts the ~250 miles from Pasco to Salem.

It will be interesting to find out the real problem. Before I pulled in for gas, the datel was showing 14.2 volts and had been running pretty steady 13.9-14.2 all day long. The battery was old and really needed replacement, so I know that didn't help anything.

I picked up a new correct battery today and I'll start digging in. If it is the electrosport that went south, I'll probably put my old stock stator back on.

So, I'm home safe and sound and got to get the bike ready for some serious riding in the next few months.

BTW, I got all the Washington dams. It was the Idaho and eastern Oregon dams that were sceduled for yesterday. Fortunately, they are close and easy to get.

Roger

So, I'm home safe and sound and got to get the bike ready for some serious riding in the next few months.
...and here is what got him home:

trip_to_cody_022.sized.jpg

trip_to_cody_023.sized.jpg

trip_to_cody_024.sized.jpg

trip_to_cody_025.sized.jpg

These are Roger's pics, just posting them for him.

Duct-tape to the rescue yet again. Not pretty but it worked. Glad it all worked out for Roger and he didn't miss any work.

That's mighty impressive. I keep looking at that and thinking, "That'd never work on my motorcycle." Nice thinking outside the box Roger.

Roger, I know someone up here in Battle Ground who might be interested in re-winding the electro-sport if that was the problem. Please let me know.

I picked up a new correct battery today and I'll start digging in. If it is the electrosport that went south, I'll probably put my old stock stator back on.
Roger,

Love the pics! That's real ingenuity.

My bike is running Eric V's old stock stator. I don't even know how many miles he had on it when he swapped motors in his bike, but I bet it was a lot. It powers the bike just fine, including heated gear and aux lighting. (I have HID low beam headlamps, so that saves some.) But just don't worry about it, you have a Datel and you'll be fine.

Jerry

Roger, For me, the most important lesson learned from this situation is Where there is a will, there is a way!! Good Job and done safely except for the SORE butt, I suppose.

Latest posts