Rubberized Roads: What are your thoughts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that there are naturally occurring bacteria (micro organisms) that actually comsume rubber (the reason that there isn't millions of pounds of rubber residue due to all the wearing of all the tires from all the vehicles; wouldn't a rubber road slowly be consumed, leaving the asphalt behind eventually. I guess the percentages of asphalt to rubber would make a difference or the asphalt bound rubber would be unappetizing to the critters.

All conjecture, so I'm not speaking as an authority, just saying.

Of course, I could get with the program and create a 'Freudian slip' when I mentioned 'micro organisms' and have instead said, micro orgasims. :rolleyes:

Is the traction factor improved when wet?

Coefficient of friction is actually slightly higher than when dry. But more importantly, skid numbers are sustained over a longer period of time over aged conventional asphalt roads. TexDot did a study on one stretch of road and found a 93% drop in wet weather major accidents. Interesting stuff!

SO, if this catches on big time they will start paying us for our old tires instead of making us pay them to take them away. :thumbsupsmiley:

Thoughts? What are those?

Is the traction factor improved when wet?
So much for the pussy theory earlier, huh?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lacking a quantitative analysis, my qualitative one is two thumbs up for rubberized asphalt. Forget how long they went to that here in the Phoenix area. 3, 4 years ago? In some cases, they layed the rubberized stuff over bare concrete, and in those cases, there was a HUGE improvement in noise and smoothness. Of course, normal asphalt is an improvement in noise and smoothness (if not life) of concrete. Still, my subjective opinion is that the rubberized stuff has advantages over the normal asphalt. Not sure what the life expectancy of one vs. the other is, but it seems to be good stuff. Hard to describe, but it feels 'stickier'.

If the powers at be could figure out how to make either tires or roads out of pu$$y, then they would NEVER wear out! Only issue then would be scent control! (Yea, it's Friday).

ya, but wouldn't the roads just keep getting wider/looser with use and old age?
yeah... uh huh... & it might be slippery, too!

Crumb rubber modified asphalt comes down the road every 10 years or so. This seems to be about the cycle where the greenies that promote it forget what a dismal failure it was last time it was in vogue and about the time all of the politicos turn over so there's a fresh batch to influence with bullshit. Arizona hasn't done the rest of us any favors with some of the baloney they have been spouting about the benefits of rubberized asphalt. As an example, it is true that it appears to be quieter than normal asphalt. However, what we've found out is that this effect is short lived. As the new surface gets some wear on it, the noise characteristics revert to what a normal ashalt surface would be in fairly short order. This degradation in sound attenuation is accellerated in places north of Arizona by studded tires. Note, any asphalt surface will be quieter than concrete. You don't hear these tidbits coming from the folks in Arizona.

Performance is really what gets lost every ten years. When we specify/design this stuff, we count on properties of the asphalt oil we select to help with performance. Specifiers are always trying to balance two things: ductility and stability; or, said another way, cracking vs rutting. The difficulty is balancing one vs. the other, because the things that you can do to help one, tends to hurt the other. When we add an item like crumb rubber to the asphalt it modifies the properties in a way that is not particularly conducive to getting the performance we desire. Rubber modifies the asphalt oil in such a way that we don't get the stiffness we would like to have. This is great for ductility, not so great for stablity. In a place like Arizona that has huge problems with thermal cracking due to the wicked weather, this probably works out for them and winds up giving them a net increase over their typically dismal performance. In other places where we actually expect performance, the material tends to rut and is decidedly not good with studded tires. Someone asked about the stretch of I-5 between Everett and Lynnwood in WA. The last time I looked, it was rolling over and dying a spectacular early death. In all fairness, there were a lot of things going on there (it is a test section) and that premature failure may not be entirely due to rubberized asphalt - although it is almost certainly a contributor.

If it were up to me, tires make pretty good fuel for a cement kiln.