Russel vs. Corbin vs. Sargent

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

co425

Reaction score
I need some input for a seat on my 2006. As far as comfort goes which one gets the thumbs up. I want the russel for the suposed all day comfort but that damn seat is ugly as hell. The corbin looks great if not a little expensive but if it is not comfortable I dont want it. The sargent seat looks good but the corbin looks better. Either way I am getting a new seat this stock one is only good for 100 miles or so before monkey butt sets in. I definatly need a seat that is comfortable for at least 700 miles in one day. Thanks for any input

Last edited by a moderator:
The Russell gets my vote. I have them on two diff. bikes and could't be more pleased. It may not be the best looking but niether is my ass so it is a good match and is really comfy. Depending on the stiching they look just fine to me. The others are good seats but don't measure up on comfort.

Corbin is an off-the-rack saddle. Built to a different "standard rider" than the OEM.

Seargent is much the same. You can pick covering materials iirc but not a from-the-ground-up build based on your measurements like the Russell.

dead_horse.gif

My vote goes to the corbin for this bike. the corbin looks good, lowers you way down, and is comfortable for the long haul. It may not be the absolute best at all three, but is comes much closer than the competition.

GreyGoose

I need some input for a seat on my 2006. As far as comfort goes which one gets the thumbs up. I want the russel for the suposed all day comfort but that damn seat is ugly as hell. The corbin looks great if not a little expensive but if it is not comfortable I dont want it. The sargent seat looks good but the corbin looks better. Either way I am getting a new seat this stock one is only good for 100 miles or so before monkey butt sets in. I definatly need a seat that is comfortable for at least 700 miles in one day. Thanks for any input
CO,

I have a Corbin on FJR1300 and on my GL1800! I love them and I can ride all day without a sore ass; in fact, I just got back from a 625 mile day ride today on the FJR1300!

Any how, where are you? If you are in Texas or close, I will gladly meet you and you can sit / try mine out.

I have also noticed that the people who haven't like Corbin normally are very "plush" in the rear area :D !

Best Regards,

Shane

I bought a corbin at the motogp. just the rider saddle no need for the passenger as my passenger is a large Kuryakin bag.

I rode from Kingman AZ to Rockwall TX in 17 hours on this new saddle. My ass is relatively rested!

Liked it a heck of a lot better than the corbin I bought for my 05.

Thanks for the offer shane but I live in Ca. Just from the votes so far it looks like corbin is a winner. Thanks to all that replied I appreciate it.

Thanks for the offer shane but I live in Ca. Just from the votes so far it looks like corbin is a winner. Thanks to all that replied I appreciate it.
CO,

Since Corbin is in CA (and Russell), you might want to take a factory tour of each.

I also have (and recommend) the Corbin Smuggler!

Best of Regards,

Shane

russel, corbin and mayer are all in cal.

I'm also in the market though the 06 seat is starting to feel better after 11,000 miles of break in. I had a russel on my last bike and hated to give it up. 100,000 miles on that bike and seat.

Just completed an SS1000 on the stocker on a 2005. Honestly it worked better than I expected - no monkey butt on this ride but I don't believe for a second I have some magical panacea. After all my research I still believe Russell is the way to go but JMHO.

Try someone else's Corbin and see. Since they're all off-the-rack, you'll know if it's for you or not. Corbins seem to be the type of saddle that people either love or hate (no in the middle opinions). If you have a Corbin ass (no, Mike Corbin doesn't count) then you'll like it.

If a 600 mile day is a warm up for lunch, then Russell would be your best bet.

dead_horse.gif

I have a Corbin seat on my FZ6, it's so hard it's just stupid, I tried riding with it for about a month and took it off, I'm back to riding with the stock Yamaha seat. My buddy has a Roadstar with a Mustang Gel seat, it's by far the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden on. I'd be currious if anyone made a gel seat for the FJR.

I can't say I'll ever by a Corbin again, I read everything they had to say about harder being better, not for me.

JS

I am considering a Corbin, not just for comfort (the '06 OEM saddle isn't that bad) but because is lower. What happens is that being 'vertically challenged", I could use a bit more reach when stopped or moving around parking places. However, I read somewhere that the Corbins are lower but also wider than the factory units, thus negating the benefit. Comments from users?

Its quite perplexing and confusing --- some seem to love the Corbin and others hate it (seem to mostly comment on its "hardness") -- guess one would never really know until you sit and sample all three?? :blink: Tough to make a decision. I like the looks of the Corbin, but the "ride comfort" is certainly important. I know this subject has been beaten to death -- but I remain perplexed (never having been on either of the three).

Keep the comments coming. BTW, am 6"0"" and 185lbs, and have been considering the Corbin.

Cheers, Jay

I read somewhere that the Corbins are lower but also wider than the factory units, thus negating the benefit. Comments from users?
I don't think they are wider...

Also, if you need less seat... just ask them to "shave" the nose and you'll be closer to the ground.

I have had three Corbins and one Russel. I loved the Russel on the Goldwing, but it looks real UGLY on the FJR. I have the Corbin on the FJR and I love it!

@ co425 - Monkey butt after 100 miles? Ok, first a question about your gear. What are you wearing for pants and under the pants during your rides?

No, I'm not some sick puppy :blink: , cotton absorbs moisture and keeps it close to the skin, promoting monkey butt. If you're wearing jeans and cotton shorts, a simple gear change might help enormously and is way cheaper than a new seat.

As far as seats go, your butt doesn't have eyes, so who are you trying to impress by a seat that "looks good"? :unsure: