Russell Day Long first ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently ordered a Day Long and it came in this past week. I planned a short ride up through Eastern Oklahoma and through Western Arkansas and back home. I figured about 600 miles and an overnight stay. I figured wrong. It ended up being over 900 miles.

This may not seem like much to most of you but, I wound up riding the whole trip and back home without the need for an overnight stay. Now I have had many bikes and all have had a seat "upgrade" but, this was an entirely different experience. They do not compare to the Russell. I was riding over 200 miles between fill ups and NEVER had the need or desire to rest any part of my body.

Lastly if you have any issue with your back and it is hampering your enjoyment of riding then this might just be the ticket to a enjoyable ride again, it was for me.

Now I wish I had done this on my other bikes, but then I might have never bought the FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the club! The miles seem to melt away once you're on a RDL.

Great to hear another satisfied customer! I thought they were "good seats", but geez the hype was a little hard to believe before I bought one! I've had Mustangs (Shadow 1100) and Corbin (Intruder 1400, FZ6) but they weren't a totally different experience while riding! In fact, I wondered how someone could even do an iron butt ride without pain overtaking them about 600 miles in!

That was until I got my Russell saddle last fall, man what a difference! I even got the heated one which is making a big difference with Michigan being 60° right now! 4,000 miles on mine and loving every day... :D

Hey! Welcome to the group R bench!

60? I had to look at the date you posted that. Our lows are higher than that. Right now it's about 92 outside.

Interesting - Similar story here with slightly different results. I left Dallas for a run early Saturday morning without a plan but with my Givi packed "just in case". Well I ended up in Fayetteville, Arkansas by way of the Talimena Trail, Hotsprings, Russelville and the Pig Trail. 700 miles the first day and slabbed it back to Dallas on Sunday - All on a Corbin. I gotta say my ass was marginal but my knees and hips were definitely feeling it. Wonder if the lower seating position of the Corbin is to blame. RDL's sit much higher if I'm not mistaken. Would this make a difference?

yes. tighter knee angles put more stress on the joints. that's why i asked for more height on the FJR build than was standard for the previous bike's (GL1500se) build.

Interesting - Similar story here with slightly different results. I left Dallas for a run early Saturday morning without a plan but with my Givi packed "just in case". Well I ended up in Fayetteville, Arkansas by way of the Talimena Trail, Hotsprings, Russelville and the Pig Trail. 700 miles the first day and slabbed it back to Dallas on Sunday - All on a Corbin. I gotta say my ass was marginal but my knees and hips were definitely feeling it. Wonder if the lower seating position of the Corbin is to blame. RDL's sit much higher if I'm not mistaken. Would this make a difference?
I've heard some folks really like Corbins as well as a couple of other seats. Whatever works.

My RDL is higher than stock but not significantly. But I did request the builder keep it as low as possible given my shortness
tongue.png

I don't have a knee issue on shorter rides do have achey knees after 700-800 miles. Nothing bad though, just a slight ache. But my backside is pain free!

Just did a night run (160 miles) with the stock seat at its highest position. No issue with knees or hips, although I really wasn't expecting any at that short distance. But dayum - talk about butt hurt!! Corbin definitely an improvement over stock in that department.

Sure would like to try a RDL at the highest setting so that I could still flat foot w/ a 32 inch inseam.

They don't look all that gr8 but I never heard one peep say they didn't perform as you mention. :)

Someday I will grow wise and get one, not sure what bike it will be for, maybe on my Gen16?

I am going to be the one dissenter here. Just got my russell back. The more I ride it the more I dislike it. I have to call them to see how I go about sending it back and getting it rebuilt. I'm 6'2" and can barely touch the ground w seat in low position and slid up against the tank. I even have heli bar risers and I'm bent over now like a sport bike. So my back kills me after 100 miles. Not happy for $600

Well, it looks like the secret is out. Us folks who ride long distances aren't superhuman...we just have the right equipment
smile.png
My Russell took a long while to break in but has been spectacular.

Got a used one on the way, can't wait to get it. The FJR quite possibly has the worst stock seat ever made - even beating out the Blackbird.

I am going to be the one dissenter here. Just got my russell back. The more I ride it the more I dislike it. I have to call them to see how I go about sending it back and getting it rebuilt. I'm 6'2" and can barely touch the ground w seat in low position and slid up against the tank. I even have heli bar risers and I'm bent over now like a sport bike. So my back kills me after 100 miles. Not happy for $600
6'2" with 32" Inseam with no problem touching in the high position with butt on the wings, but just touching, slide off the wings and I am almost flat footed. Full forward and I am flat footed on both sides with some width. I like it this way.

That's what make them custom. Depending on what someone told them they wanted, Russell may have built it up more (for a more open leg position while riding).

On mine I asked for more seat height because I wanted a more open knee angle. On my '03 at 5' 10" and a 30" to 31" inseam, I can touch down enough to manage the bike.

Flat footing any heavy bike is over rated. If you ever let it get past the tip over point, you ain't muscling it back up anyway. Ride a Gold Wing for a while and learn that it's all about finesse. IMO it's about how it feels with the wheel turning; not when stopped.