sad state of affairs, Economy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trying to start an economy thread but my current employer of the last 10yrs is struggling bad in these times. I work in the Plastic thermo forming industry. Material prices on resin for Polypropylene have risen over 100% from this time last year, production lines have been shut down and they laid of 43 people last Tuesday.
I'm in a position that would most likely make it past any lay offs but I'm struggling now with life altering decisions. It's a weird karma but once again a few opportunities have came my way from other companies right at the peak of slowness from my current employer. Over the years I've passed up other jobs that have sought me out but this time I'm thinking VERY hard about moving on.

I'm am the typical male, I am afraid of change but I'm confident in my abilities and feel like I can adapt to whatever is placed in front of me.

One opportunity is decent with no relocation involved and coming in the door with equal pay to what I make now, with better/cheaper benefits, 20% increase with in 12 months after completing their personal training that's catered to their specific product.

The other offer would require a relocation to DFW TX, 20% more in the door, paid relocation and a few other perks but would include my wife having to find another job and the dreaded relocation of the kids. I grew up in my school years relocating almost yearly following my mothers career and I hated it. Not sure if I want to do that even once to my kids.

Being in the position I am I'm privileged to information most aren't. I honestly don't know if my company will pull through this time. We make commodities that have many competitors and of course there's China :angry2: that is under bidding most on every thing even though the quality sux. The job offers I have in front of me now are still in plastics but are specialized products with next to zero competition.

Just soap boxing a little.

Decisions......... decisions
Be fortunate that you HAVE options. I left a successful career with a six-figure income to pursue my dreams and open my own business. After 3 years of struggling, going through a divorce and now barely able to make ends meet, I've decided to sell my company to try to pay off as much debt as I can and attempt to get back into a career. At this mid-point in my life, I have no more savings, an outdated skill set, and am now over-extended on my house loan, credit cards, etc with no offers on the table, making less than I did more than 15 years ago.

If you see the writing on the wall - do what's best for you and your family. In this economy if you can make MORE money, I say go for it! Change can be difficult but financial struggle is even worse. It's never an easy decision, especially when you've built up tenure there, but at least on this end, you are in control.

Be fortunate that you HAVE options. I left a successful career with a six-figure income to pursue my dreams and open my own business. After 3 years of struggling, going through a divorce and now barely able to make ends meet, I've decided to sell my company to try to pay off as much debt as I can and attempt to get back into a career. At this mid-point in my life, I have no more savings, an outdated skill set, and am now over-extended on my house loan, credit cards, etc with no offers on the table, making less than I did more than 15 years ago.
If you see the writing on the wall - do what's best for you and your family. In this economy if you can make MORE money, I say go for it! Change can be difficult but financial struggle is even worse. It's never an easy decision, especially when you've built up tenure there, but at least on this end, you are in control.
Thanks, that was a welcomed post.

End of discussion. Your decision has been made for you - you're welcome! :)

"You're welcome"? For what you did nothing for me, no thanks here.....now be on your way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the job here in town, negotiated some more........got 15% more coming in, 2 more weeks vacation for a total of 4 and still a guarantee of 20% more increase after completing "their" specialized training.

Sounds great! Did they give you anything towards a dental plan? From your avatar, it looks like you may need it!

:rolleyes: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: