Safety Inspection Sticker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredandJeannesRacer

Reaction score
Not all states have a safety inspection, but mine does. I think it's a good thing to some extent. My gripe is that the stickers are always an ugly color. Last years was puke green. This years is blood red. They must be placed on the lower fork leg for everyone to see. Last couple of years the inspection mechanic let me put it where I wanted to, said he just couldn't mess up that beautiful bike with an ugly sticker. I put it on top of the swing arm. I've seen Harleys with a small plate for the sticker. Where's yours?

I've seen em, but Alabama currently has no inspection. My bike is sticker-free.

South Carolina no longer requires vehicle inspections, but before they went by the wayside, the inspection sticker for motorcycles was attached to the lower fork tube.

Up here in New Hampshire you are required to put the sticker on the lower left fork where it can be seen. But they are quite small (about 3/4" x 1 1/2") so no big deal IMO. Some states have some big goomer 4"x4" sticker they feel they need to paste on. When I bought my Aprilia it had a NY state sticker on the upper fork leg between the faring and the gas tank. Kinda pointless having one there don't you think?

Lower left fork leg in NY, though I think it was Axeman who said he put his in a less visible spot. In my area the state police like to set up a road block on nice days and check every vehicle for a valid sticker. I'd rather have them see mine easily and just wave me past than have to stop and show them where it is.

Lower left fork leg in NY, though I think it was Axeman who said he put his in a less visible spot. In my area the state police like to set up a road block on nice days and check every vehicle for a valid sticker. I'd rather have them see mine easily and just wave me past than have to stop and show them where it is.
Gunny that!

Any chance to NOT have to stop and talk with "the man" is a good thing IMO.

on one of those aluminum tabs that's supposed to hang under the tag... stuffed in my saddle bag so that it doesn't cover my IBR plate frame.

I've seen Harleys with a small plate for the sticker. Where's yours?
A very loooong time ago, when I was in the Navy, many clever riders came up with ways to make and attach brackets for the base stickers so that they weren't applied to their bike's forks. However, it could make it easier for a thief to take the sticker and bracket.

my dealer put it on the upper left fork tube.

Although I thought by law it was supposed to be on the lower fork tube

On my CB750 it is on the lower section of the front fork. Pretty ugly. On the FJR the dealer put it on the top section of the left fork. It is pretty well hidden by the cowling but when I had it reinspected that inspector put it back in the same place.

have not been stopped yet.

I believe mine is supposed to be on the lower left but the dealer put it on the upper left fork behind the fairing. I've been through many traffic stops with it that way and the cop has always just waved me on even though they can't see it.

Mississippi requires annual inspection and issues stickers as well, but there is no law requiring them to be placed on the vehicle (figger that one out...................) anyway mine's in my wallet :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
In Massachusetts (yes, some of us are still on the road albeit in the 40's now..) you used to be given the same safety inspection sticker that a car got, after passing a "safety" inspection at a local car shop. You then carried this with the registration card from the DMV (or RMV in Mass).

Nowadays, you must go to a bike shop that is a registered state motorcycle inspection shop and pass a fairly comprehensive inspection (as compared to previous); ie. you must have enough rubber on your tires (i.e. no tread warning ridges), functional brakes with still some material left, all lights in functional order with front ones aimed correctly, a working horn and all EPA mandated equipment still installed (they must not inspects Harley's exhaust systems for the factory-installed silencers :rolleyes: ). No smogging is done (albeit occasionally discussed in the legislature about enacting such).

After all that and $29 - you get a numbered sticker (color changes yearly) that is applied (the inspector must do this and register the number of sticker) on the top left of your license plate.

All plates and inspection stickers expire yearly at midnight on December 31 (no joke..), as compared to cars that typically expire on the date /month of first registration. New registration gives you another numbered sticker (to apply to your existing plate on the top right) and a new registration DMV card.

I removed the reflector on the left side and glued a piece of acrylic to it using acrylic cement. it tucks in behind the fork nicely and I have not had a problem with it. I would post a picture but I can not figure out how.

n.y has to be on the left side lower fork leg. I now live in n.c no sticker at all

Last edited by a moderator: