Say no to slow KTM 1190R in the right hands

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can hardly wait to buy that KaToom off yah!
punk.gif

On the recent ADV ride, I dropped the bike. I had slowed suddenly, put a foot down, only to find out there was a few more inches of drop, just enough to get me off-center. The bike laid over quickly, It came down on the other crash bars, so now I have two nice matching scratches. I had put tape around the crash bar edges, but it wasn't sturdy enough to compensate for asphalt.

The pannier touched down too, but the plastic guards caught any damage.

I think I'm going to remove the crash guards and spray rhino liner on the short section that touches down in a tip over. Or... just not worry.

I had a chance to test the traction control this morning. I was headed out for a short 50 mile ride out in the hills, and had a quick freeway jaunt to get to the trail head. As I got onto the onramp, I rolled on the throttle a bit heavy to stay ahead of traffic, right about where two lanes merge into one (Hwy 18 merging eastbound on I90 for those that know it). I was over on one side and the rear tire hit a stretch of the dotted painted line where the two lanes merge, and instantly the bike lost traction. I can guess this was a combination of:

1. Me rolling on the throttle too hard

2. The painted lines were in the shade and probably had a bit of dew

3. Rear knobbies not providing the best of traction.

You know that dreaded feeling when you feel the rear end of the bike begin to get loose and slip out from behind you? Any other bike would have either slid out and dumped me, or slid out then caught and then launched me.

It was probably less than a 1/2 second from when I felt the rear break begin loose to when the KTM's computer intervened to chop the rear throttle and bring the rear back in line before it slid too far out. So fast I could barely register, but enough to know it happened. So quick I doubt anyone but me noticed. I made a mental note to chill it, then had a perfectly fine rest of my ride out to Middlefork.

This bike totally rocks.

Shots from the ride today"

WP_20141005_004.jpg

WP_20141005_003.jpg

WP_20141005_001.jpg

WP_20141005_006.jpg

WP_20141005_007.jpg

WP_20141005_008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a chance to test the traction control this morning. I was headed out for a short 50 mile ride out in the hills, and had a quick freeway jaunt to get to the trail head. As I got onto the onramp, I rolled on the throttle a bit heavy to stay ahead of traffic, right about where two lanes merge into one (Hwy 18 merging eastbound on I90 for those that know it). I was over on one side and the rear tire hit a stretch of the dotted painted line where the two lanes merge, and instantly the bike lost traction. I can guess this was a combination of:
1. Me rolling on the throttle too hard

2. The painted lines were in the shade and probably had a bit of dew

3. Rear knobbies not providing the best of traction.

You know that dreaded feeling when you feel the rear end of the bike begin to get loose and slip out from behind you? Any other bike would have either slid out and dumped me, or slid out then caught and then launched me.

It was probably less than a 1/2 second from when I felt the rear break begin loose to when the KTM's computer intervened to chop the rear throttle and bring the rear back in line before it slid too far out. So fast I could barely register, but enough to know it happened. So quick I doubt anyone but me noticed. I made a mental note to chill it, then had a perfectly fine rest of my ride out to Middlefork.

This bike totally rocks.

Shots from the ride today"

WP_20141005_004.jpg

WP_20141005_003.jpg

WP_20141005_001.jpg

WP_20141005_006.jpg

WP_20141005_007.jpg

WP_20141005_008.jpg
I can't wait to be finished with school. We have so much off roading to catch up on

Xmas came a day early, as Renazco Racing delivered the custom seat I ordered in late Sept. They use suede on the seat top, and carbon vinyl on the sides which matches the carbon heat ducts. Seat is much firmer than the softer OEM, and came with a rain cover. The stock seat starts to hurt about 100 miles into a trip.

Stock seat:

WP_20140610_012.jpg

Renazco:

WP_20141224_10_06_03_Pro.jpg

The 15's allegedly have an improved heat shield near the exhaust to tackle the really only negative of this bike - excessive heat. Hopefully I can add this.

Plus... Carver, dude, you know my rule with bikes. Only buy, never sell.

Plus, I solved my storage problem.

Oh sure, and Merry Christmas to you HuddieBear!
punk.gif

Actually I'm looking at the guy who puts two Service Honda 500's into a current yz450 frame as my next bike..

1,000 cc's of 2-stroke power in less than 420 pounds, wet!

There you go, calling my ElToroPoo-Poo!
punk.gif

I can't see much changed from the 14 to 15 models.... and the 15 mods can be fitted to the 14's.

I'm hoping to find a 14 well outfitted (with air cleaner mod from day 1, documented) as I think the 14's look better than the 15's..

Last edited by a moderator:
See the thread on KTM airboxes here, Don. The fix is a Powercell filter, and a 15 airbox installed, like mine had under warranty.

Might just throw a leg over the 1190 this week when the KTM demo truck comes to town. Was thinking about upgrading from my 990 but I would only use it for street duty (quite happy with my 350 lb KLR in the dirt) so not sure about a 21 inch front wheel and a heavier bike for canyon carving.

It will be interesting how it compares to my SMT in the slow speed manuvers, that bike is so balanced I can almost do a ballet in the parking lot.

uh...not that there is anything wrong with that
weirdsmiley.gif

Better leave my check book home this week.

How many miles on the R now?

<snip>Might just throw a leg over the 1190 this week when the KTM demo truck comes to town. Was thinking about upgrading from my 990 but I would only use it for street duty (quite happy with my 350 lb KLR in the dirt) so not sure about a 21 inch front wheel and a heavier bike for canyon carving.
Better leave my check book home this week.
Go for the regular version with the 19 inch front wheel Bug. Unless you're going to get it dirty, it'll work better on the street anyway.

Definitely leave the checkbook at home...and stop shopping. I'm proof positive that trouble is only an advertisement or thread link away!
blinksmiley.gif

--G

Amen George.

I've got 3500 miles now, but this has been a poor riding year for me, and I've got a few other horses in the stable.