Say no to slow KTM 1190R in the right hands

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are doing better than my buddy.

"I picked mine up a week ago. I rode it 8 miles and it started leaking from the generator cover. I loaded it up yesterday and they replaced the gasket. The dealer rode it to get it inspected, and it came back leaking worse than when we started. I looked at everything with them. The engine and cover look perfect, The original gasket had a small crease where it was leaking, but it leaks in the same place. We suspect the rubber grommets for the stator and ignition wires might be the source. Dealer and KTM are talking. So, to recap, it is going to be a beautiful sunny weekend, I took delivery of my 1290 (they had two on the floor, I walked in and out in about 2 hrs) and trailered it the 1.4 hour drive home. Suited up, rode 8 miles, got an oily foot, called the dealer on Tues (I had to have it, so I got it on a Saturday). We got the gasket(s) ordered (Smart parts guy) and I took it in yesterday at 1:00 PM. The dealer and his mechanic spent the time to look everything up, get the tool for the cover and got the cover off. All looked well, and so we got it together, and bam! Same leak. Obviously, I am gutted as I wanted to be riding. I will make sure I let everyone know how this all comes out. Maybe I should have gotten the orange one......
You'll both get your bikes sorted and be grinning from ear to ear in no time.
biggrin.png

Sportsguy and I are at a 2day advanced dirt riding course. Getting super muddy,pix to follow. One guy has an 1190 and another a GS. I know if I was not riding the Husky, I'd much rather be on the big KTM.

My buddy just got one of these, the R version. He and his '12 Duc MTS took a tumble this spring. My buddy is fine but the MTS didn't make it back home. The MTS is not a dual sport (or even a true adv) and he was having issues getting it to cooperate off road with that 17" front wheel.

With the KTM he gets all the HP and tech of the MTS + true off pavement capability. Nice. He's already reported that the KTM's off road ability slams the door on the Duc.

I can't wait to hear and see his bike. While I know his 1190R will stomp the stuffing out of my Tenere in a drag race, the old fat broad Tenere does pretty well either on or off pavement and it NEVER breaks. And it's paid for.

Still, that 1190 is one of the nicest bikes on the market and he might let me ride it. That'll probably be a mistake for me....

Last edited by a moderator:
so I get the KTM all sorted last night, all the pieces in place, and head out for a ride today with an old pal. He's got a 990 and other off road bikes and he's a strong dirt rider. We play on the local roads, then he asks to switch bikes which I was fine with. He has a 29" inseam, and tries to mount the 1190 with the kickstand up, and you guessed it, down they both go on gravel. I was worried he was hurt, but no injuries thankfully.

The 1190's crash bars and the new cyra hand guards did their job, but both took some deep scuffs in the process. I should've been mad what with only 150 miles on the bike, but after watching another colleague dump his GS1200 eight times this weekend at dirt bike camp without a peep, I have a newfound appreciation for treating these bikes as dirt bikes, not trailer queens. I would probably have been more pissed if I had dumped it. Shit happens, and people are always more important than stuff. Plus, first scratch is out of the way now!

That said, should I opt to give you a test ride, treat it like it's your brand new trailer queen, ok PNW crew?

This bike impresses me even more every time I ride it. The motor, suspension, and brakes are first rate. I am smiling ear to ear every time I dismount. So smooth and effortless to ride, and the power it makes is downright kooky. This is a clear first place winner for bike of the year.

At the rest stop, a guy comes over and gazes at the bike for a while. As I walk over to leave, he says "Your bike is beautiful." I don't have the heart to say that I think the KTM looks like a model whose hair was cut by a blind barber at Great Clips. Nah... if he thinks the bike is beautiful, then who am I to piss on that.

Old Michael might say all his taste is in his mouth. I'd just agree with the guy, it is beautiful.

I'm one who finds beauty in the elegance of utility, the promise of functional excellence. Not just colors and lines.

PS - Good on you for not getting upset about the drop. Not sure I'd have been able to remain so cool about it.

So...once your buddy got the bike off of him and got to ride it, was he ready to trade in his 990?

29 inch inseam huh? Might not be the bike for me. An extra inch won't help much I don't think.

Oh yea, and your bike IS freaking beautiful!

He was pretty wobbly at a full stop and I made extra sure to time the lights so we wouldn't be caught at a stoplight.

This is my idea of utilitarian beauty (pics of this past weekend's dirt bike camp group):

DSC02391.JPG

DSC02396.JPG

Dirt%20Bike%20Camp.jpg

He was pretty wobbly at a full stop and I made extra sure to time the lights so we wouldn't be caught at a stoplight.
This is my idea of utilitarian beauty (pics of this past weekend's dirt bike camp group):

DSC02391.JPG
So the poor guy in the middle now knows NOT to stop in or just before a mud hole. The shit-eat'n grin from the guy on the right makes me think he taught him that lesson.

Finally got the bad girl all put together with luggage, guards, and such.

WP_20140610_013.jpg

WP_20140610_016.jpg

WP_20140610_010.jpg

WP_20140610_011.jpg

WP_20140610_012.jpg

WP_20140610_017.jpg

WP_20140610_015.jpg

Final farkle tally:

Black Dog skid plate
Black dog radiator guard
Black dog oil cooler guard
Cyra pro bends
KTM shorty levers
KTM wide pegs
Holan Nomada Pro II panniers
Bumot quick release tail rack
SW Motech oversize brake pedal (on order)
Giant Loop Fandango Pro bag
LED lights wired with West Marine toggle switch on dash
RAM Mount for Montana GPS
J&M Audio Integratr for FM radio, Ipod, FMRS, radar, and intercom
Unifilter
TKCs front and rear.

Just need a decent seat, and she's all set for her next adventure to Starbucks.
flirt.gif

My next bike is looking better all the time! ...and I won't discount your selling price <much> for the hand guard scratches!
flirt.gif

It's great to hear you're really pleased with the ride, Hudson.. Wow.

Very nice. It's a good thing these bikes are so expensive, otherwise I'd be explaining to my wife why I needed another motorcycle.
smile.png

She's a looker Hudson! Keep us updated on those accessories good or bad. I thought the GL Pro bags were set up to run power into the bag from the front?

Now go get that dollar/mileage ratio closer to 1/1.

<sarcasm>Yea, that bike is SO ugly.</sarcasm>

Thanks George. Now we hafta get a ride going.

Really focused on functional sparkle. Guards on the mission critical parts prone to injury, and those that improve control. Perhaps only the shorty levers were a luxury, but having them on the FJR and Bonneville have spoilt me. Cases are debatable. Only thing I will add is perhaps a better seat, but need to ride more than 200 miles at one sitting to know if I need it.