Scala Rider G4 / Snowmobile Version July Firmware

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ng7m

Reaction score
After doing a fair amount of research, I picked up the Scala Rider G4 PowerSet Snowmobile version. I didn't want the bulky boom mikes and after poking around it was clear that the snowmobile version of the G4 set included the wire mics. Why cough up another $80 or so to get the wired mics for my helmet and my wifes helmet (full face of course).

So I got a good deal on eBay and the set arrived. I'm a computer techy so the first thing I did was to see if I needed new firmware on the modules. Well, guess what... come to find out, the snowmobile version of the modules don't have the ability at the moment to get the latest firmware update which is 3.0 for the motorcycle version.

After getting a response from Scala, they are clear over the fact that the snowmobile version is tuned for the snowmobile environment? For the life of me, I can't figure out what the difference would be. So the desktop software currently won't let me update from firmware 2.3 to 3.0.

Now the good news... Scala informed me that in July of this year they are releasing a new version of the firmware that will allowed to be downloaded to the snowmobile version modules. This new version will let you switch between snowmobile mode and motorcycle mode.

Anyway... just a heads up if anyone else has been looking at the Scala Rider G4 setups. I still don't get what would be different for the snowmoble crowd. I'll be taking the first long / multi day ride with my wife here in Utah in a couple of weeks with the G4 setup. Maybe we'll need to drive through some snow banks along the side of the roads up high in the mountains to see how the G4's work! ;)

mg

Didn't know they made a snowmobile specific version. Cool. I used to snowmobile with my Q2's all the time. Never had a problem with them. I'm sure they will work just fine on the bike.

mg, welcome to the forum. Make sure you follow up on the G4. I'm debating between the G4 and new Sena units. I live right up the road from you in Layton.

Greb, it's a small world... I hope to meet up with you some time with you living a few miles away in Layton. Get back with me on the G4 in awhile and I can give you my impression on how it's working.

I have been at it in the garage this evening working on an McCruise install... about half done at this point. I'll keep going all day tomorrow with a FuzeBlocks power distribution along with some powerlet plugs and then on to wiring up a Garmin 660. It's been a money pit extravaganza, but fun. I have a 3 day ride planned for the second week of April with my wife (who loves to ride) down to the Torry Utah area etc. I'm looking foward to it and hope we get some clear weather this early in the year.

mg