SCR and the premier of "American Cafe"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A.

Reaction score
Now that winter is almost over in Wisconsin and Minnesota, I thought I'd try to beat Gramps to the punch and post the first ride of the year.

I'm planning to meet up with an old high school buddy from Milwaukee for the spring Slimey Crud Run on May 2nd and was hoping some of you would want to came along. We purchased 10 tickets for the sold out world premier of "American Cafe" at the Sundance Theater in Madison. Check it out at https://2soc.net/americancafe/. The movie starts at 4pm, so that unfortunately necessitates an early start on Saturday, May 1st. Here's what I propose.

A 7am start at the Machine Shed restaurant in Woodbury (technically Lale Elmo). Ride 61 south and cross into Wisconsin at Prescott. Ride Hwy 10 to 93 which turns into 35 in Centerville, continue on 54 and Cty VV, Hwy 108 and 16 to Sparta and a meeting place to be determined.

In Sparta we'll meet up with the Milwaukee contingent (my friend, a couple of his friends, and maybe some folks from his Ducati club) somewhere between 11:00-11:30am. This would also be a great spot to meet up with any Western WI folks who would like to come along.

The ride will continue south on 71 to Wilton where we will take 131 south through Wildcat Mountain State Park. Continue on 131 to 33 and Cty V to Q to G all the way to Spring Green where we pick up Hwy 14.

At this point the route really depends on how we are doing for time as we need to make the movie in Madison at 4pm. If time allows, we'll take Cty P down to Verona, WI and check into the Holiday Inn Express. Otherwise we'll take 14 straight into Madison and check out the scene at the movie premiere.

Of the 10 movie tickets we purchased, 4 are already spoken for, so the first 6 people who are interested get the remaining tickets. You'll owe me $8 per ticket.

Sunday is the Slimey Crud Run. It's my first time so I don't really know if it's practical to hang together. I have no plans to offer, but it might be fun to park a few feejer's together to see if they get much of a look.

Likewise, I don't have any plans for the return trip. If it gets late, or I'm tired, or the weather is bad, I could just blast home on 94. I'm sure that could be discussed over a beer on Saturday night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick update on movie tickets. As of 3/13/10, 5 of the 10 tickets we purchased are available. I get one, and the Milwaukee contingent has spoken up for 4.

Of course, people are more than welcome to ride along whether they plan to attend the premiere or not.

I was trying to make this work but apparently I have "too many demands" on my time coming up...sound familiar?

Maybe next year Tom. Ride safe & have fun.

I'm in, just made a reservation for the Holiday Inn Express, Verona. If we end up with more people wanting movie tickets than you have, I'd be willing to give up mine. I work 3rd shift(2am), M-TH, so won't hang around very long on Sunday. Unless something comes up that weekend, I'll see you May 1, bright and early.

I was trying to make this work but apparently I have "too many demands" on my time coming up...sound familiar?Maybe next year Tom. Ride safe & have fun.
I disappeared last riding season when the wife decided we needed to convert the deck into a four-season porch. I paid someone to do it, but even the miscellaneous side jobs sucked up my whole summer. So be careful with those time "demands".

I'm in, just made a reservation for the Holiday Inn Express, Verona. If we end up with more people wanting movie tickets than you have, I'd be willing to give up mine. I work 3rd shift(2am), M-TH, so won't hang around very long on Sunday. Unless something comes up that weekend, I'll see you May 1, bright and early.
Glad you can make it. It sounds like the movie has been very popular, as a second showing and party has been added at another theater. For now, we'll just say there are 4 tickets left.

Hello!? Is this thing on? One month to go. Come on peeps, should be fun & interesting.

Hello!? Is this thing on? One month to go. Come on peeps, should be fun & interesting.
The Slimey Crud M.C. run/rally to Leland is a classic and getting to and from is about as good as motorcycling gets (I don't care how they do it in California...! :) ).

Rural S.W. WI is just wonderful riding... :D

Mike, we are still good to go. I'm going even if by myself, but hope you're still planning on it. I'm with you on this one though, I thought it was a great idea when I thunk it up and was hoping for more takers by now. Anyone else game?

It should be a great time and the more the merrier, and we still have 4 tickets left for the movie.

Geez guys, I'm feeling positively shunned. I'd be flattered by lame excuses at this point.

Anyway, we're two weeks out on this ride, and so far it's just a couple of us from the north metro and 4 folks from the Milwaukee Ducati club. I thought for sure that some of you would want see of you could run with an Xerox.

There are still four movie tickets left, hopefully some of you will consider joining us for the Crud Run. At very least post up with your best lame excuse.

Here's a few possible excuses:

1) Probably too far to ride for the bunch of candy asses around these parts. :p

2) Wife won't let them go. :rolleyes:

3) Just handed every last cent over to the tax man today. :eek:hno-smiley:

4) Their is a John and Kate plus 8 marathon on TV. :sicksmiley02:

That's all I can think of now. Please feel free to add any additional excuses.

If anyone in Western WI is considering joining us, the meet point in Sparta will be a small park on Hwy 16, a 1/2 mile west of Hwy 27.

To keep on schedule for the movie it'll be around 11:00-11:30am.

A summary of the original ride post, which I admit was kind of lengthy:

May 1, Saturday

7:00am leave Machine Shed restaurant parking lot in Woodbury, MN

11:00-11:30am meet point at small park in Sparta, WI. (Hwy 16, 1/2 mile west of Hwy 27)

(insert lots of cool twisties here)

4:00pm Sundance Theater in Madison, WI for premier of "American Cafe" (see original post for link)

Later - there are a couple of after-movie parties planned, there might be a couple of bikes/riders at either of them.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Verona, WI

May 2, Sunday

The Slimey MC Crud Run - various routes from Leland to Pine Bluff, WI

Home - via routes negotiated over a beer on Saturday night.

If you want more detail, refer to the original ride post.

Hope to see a couple of you decide to join us this week!

Hey all, TCMike and I are still in, and the weather fore cast was definately upgraded today.

The Sparta meeting point (with the Milwaukee Ducati guys) is actually a half mile EAST of 27 on 16 at Fisherman's Park. Same time, 11:00-11:30am.

For those of you with GPS, it will be at 380 East Avenue, Sparta, WI.

Not too late to decide to come along.

Cheers, Tom